30k Hobby Chat

how are you all painting the HH style flamers and melta guns? (they are already assembled completely + coated) I am looking at my 6 man tac support squads and am having nothing but a mental blank on how to approach doing that. Pics appreciated.

gallery_93054_12142_42637.jpeg

This is what I was talking about. My favourite is the melta, which is just black and Leadbelcher, tiny detail in Balthazar Gold. The flamer on the left, even doing the muzzle Balthazar Gold I'm not sure was an improvement over more leadbelcher. The chap on the right is only a WIP, but I'm still not convinced about the yellow, or again, maybe the yellow will be ok but I will have to lose the Balthazar Gold. You can't really tell from the picture, but the housing there is dark grey rather than black.

I have an odd request for you guys- how are you all painting the HH style flamers and melta guns? (they are already assembled completely + coated) I am looking at my 6 man tac support squads and am having nothing but a mental blank on how to approach doing that. Pics appreciated.

I've always felt a "minimal, with enough detail to stand out, but not be outlandish" approach is the best method for any of the special/heavy weapons other than plasma. (Plasma not that big a deal in modern 40k, but it's a BIG deal in 30k, so feel like it being "broadcast loud" is the way to do it). Oh, and "heat" effects on the barrels/nozzles/whatever you want to call 'em.

Flamer example:

gallery_54361_16988_158109.jpg

Meltagun example:

gallery_54361_16988_285316.jpg

I'm a big fan of this scheme. Love the muzzle burn. The weathering, basing, armor griming is just... *chefs kiss*

Also the red cabling on the powerpack adds a lot to break it all up! Wonderful.

I have an odd request for you guys- how are you all painting the HH style flamers and melta guns? (they are already assembled completely + coated) I am looking at my 6 man tac support squads and am having nothing but a mental blank on how to approach doing that. Pics appreciated.

I've kept all of mine pretty basic.

No normal flamers, but they'd be painted to match the heavy Variant.

SZ0U1Ab.jpg

The same with my meltas across the Legions.

YlF493y.jpg?1

I like your crests! A lot. Sargeant and officer crests make me very happy to see. Love that you do the bi-tonal approach to them, it works so well.

Anyway, here's a lil' something I worked on today. Command tank/Master of Armor. It's WIP and I have more work to do to hide some errors. I want more variety in some trophies and to add flayed skin somewhere on the model.

eNx5Mmr.jpg?1

ubZCRS1.jpg?1

Never underestimate the versatility of guitar wire.

h7mOjtB.jpg?1

And this is just a very cool shot, I think. Might do some sort of flesh "scarf" to hide that neck joint/seal, though from above it looks fine and you don't notice it.

That command sicaran looks incredible dude.

I just finished a squad of 3 predators (3d print proxies that look lile big sabres). Enamel mud is drying right now.

Means i need another 3 preds tp be at my goal of 3x3 preds for an armoured spearhead list.

Next up are some more breachers to get a non-zm legal stone gauntlet list on the table.

Wanted to share a pic of what's on my desk at the moment:

gallery_60230_9843_127492.jpg

My own take on Erasmus Golg, based upon what little artwork ghere is of him. I need to figure out a way to make his combi-melta stand out a bit, then he'll be ready for painting.

Also, have WiP photo of Durak Rask, in need of some shoulder pads and a Nuncio-Vox:

gallery_60230_9843_443303.jpg

Edited by lokkorex

Had two games of 30k yesterday, Raven Guard versus Night Lords. 2,000 point battles, though ormally we play 2.5k to 3k within my group, but we were attempting to see what we can do at a more limited build. Here's the lists. The Night Lord list was Pride of the Legion, two tactical squads with bells and whistles. A tactical support squad with volkite calivers. Two Contemptors, one double Kheres and the other CQC. Night Raptor squad of five, with accompanying dual-clawed Praetor. An on-foot champion accompanied one of the tactical squads. Last up were two five man Tartaros terminator squads, deep striking in - one with dual claws on all of them, the second with chainfist and combibolters.

sanV4Gd.jpg

Raven Guard i'm less so familiar with, but it looked like two tactical squads. A Delegatus. A squad of Dark Furies with an Apothecary in it. A tactical support squad with plasmaguns. A melee contemptor, followed up lastly by two squadrons of Javelin Land Speeders. 

V3BE3Oi.jpg

Here was the table. I showed up a bit early and just quickly grabbing stuff off the shelves at the location, opted to go for a Factorum/Processing field.

to7qq3x.jpg?1

We opted to do War of Lies as the mission for both games, rolling off on different deployments. First game had the Ambush deployment, with the Raven Guard deploying in the middle. Night Lords to flank around on both sides. 

Game one saw the Night Lords take initative and move on attempting to secure the objectives, countered by aggresive Javelins. Through some excellent shooting and extremely lucky rolls, the Javelins were wiped out by the Champion once he managed to get close enough to them to literally pounce them.

The Volkite Calivers were positioned really poorly in both of my games, but I got some cool photography shots. 

VC1tqjC.jpgEJRxa7e.jpg
VC1tqjC.jpg

The Dark Furies mulched almost everything they saw. A moment of defiance came from a decorated sargeant of the 8th...

kzZZfP1.jpg
MYABPce.jpg

Well, there we have it. Some photos for you all, that's what i've been up to in the hobby!

Honestly ambush is such a trash deployment. For a "standard" deployment option it's way too imbalanced and thematically unaligned with a given mission.

There's enough special rules to create an ambush/pincer throughout the course of a game, be it infiltrate, scout, outflank, fleet, crusader or deep strike. Pics are blocked by work, so idk if this happened or not, but the Raven guard could have just...not deployed his infantry in the middle and had a lot in deep strike, defeating the point of the deployment.

Alright lads, I've done it. I finally built and painted a Master of Armor for my future Armored Spear-head list! I'm over all incredibly pleased with the work i've done on this tank. There's a few more pictures in my thread, along with a fluff segment I wrote. Let me know what you all think!

CxiXgWe.jpg

mqGP6JE.jpg

Alright lads, I've done it. I finally built and painted a Master of Armor for my future Armored Spear-head list! I'm over all incredibly pleased with the work i've done on this tank. There's a few more pictures in my thread, along with a fluff segment I wrote. Let me know what you all think!

CxiXgWe.jpg

mqGP6JE.jpg

Aha, I have seen you on Reddit also! Great work :)

Due i saw that on facebool yesterday and i thought and still think itd incredible.

Great conversion as well!

I didnt want to buy a second sicaran for my planned armorey spearhead list vut ypu might just make me do it, just to do my take on the same topic.

Question:

I said it before, the new if praetors will make me get a tartaros squad for my list. Anyone got a good idea for capes? I think i used the exalted sorceror kit for my black templars, as well as the chaos lord kit. I want cleanish cloaks though. Ill propably get a green stuff stamp to model on fur to make them into a huscarls squad as described in praetorian pg dorn.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

So damn good @Hungry Nostraman Lizard heaps of character and cracking weathering, as per.

Thank you!

Well I have to say thats just one of the most awesome things I have ever seen! Incredible.

Appreciate the kind words.

Aha, I have seen you on Reddit also! Great work :smile.:

Aye! Going to be trying to brand out as a studio, so I need all the platforms!

Due i saw that on facebool yesterday and i thought and still think itd incredible.

Great conversion as well!

I didnt want to buy a second sicaran for my planned armorey spearhead list vut ypu might just make me do it, just to do my take on the same topic.

Question:

I said it before, the new if praetors will make me get a tartaros squad for my list. Anyone got a good idea for capes? I think i used the exalted sorceror kit for my black templars, as well as the chaos lord kit. I want cleanish cloaks though. Ill propably get a green stuff stamp to model on fur to make them into a huscarls squad as described in praetorian pg dorn.

Sicarans are fantastic looking tanks, plenty of spaces for decals, weathering, etc. You can keep them as plain or busy as you want to. 

For the capes, if you want to experiment and go your own way, you can also get brass sheets, which can then be molded into your preferred shape. I've done this for banners, the Contemptor earlier, etc. You can then apply green stuff over it if you wish, and then smooth it down with clay shaper tools. 

Progress (sort of)!

med_gallery_93054_15563_282211.jpg

Why am I showing you their backs? Well to show that I have had a really, really deep dig in my bits box, and still relented and gone to the bits shop, to get extra pouches and holstered pistols for these guys. From left to right: Dark Angel veteran, Blood Angel sergeant, Blood Angel recon, Blood Angel tactical. These last two have Ravenguard holsters, with the sword shaved off and replaced by tiny blood drop - this is how desperate I've become. And the sergeant has (whisper it) kit from the Tau pathfinder set to try to cover his waspish waist.

More wittering in spoiler

This wittering is about resin vs. plastic. Let me tell you a story. Usually I don't buy models that have just been released. I wait for the hype to die down and try to get cheap second hand. But when Betrayal at Calth came out, I was really excited, and bought in early. One thing I didn't like was the plastic cataphractii (and the contemptor obviously - but that's another story). I thought the detail inferior to Forgeworld and I also preferred the Justaerin look with a nod to mark iv in the helms. So I sold the plastic and bought resin. Through a combination of ebay, direct from forgeworld, and many trips to the bits shop I now have enough for two full squads of five (one Justaerin-like, one 'normal' cataphractii). I've got a nice choice of kit too, apart from too many lightning claws.

And here's the thing. Of those 10 models, only 1 is painted. And he was painted by my son because I donated him. These models have languished for years. When did Betrayal at Calth even come out? Long before my son had even heard of Warhammer. This is partly because I can't decide which legion to give them to, but partly because it feels a bit of a chore to build them, compared with the easy fun of kitbashing the plastic. See those 4 dudes above. I had a very happy few afternoons fiddling them into shape. The least fun bit? That resin torso on the sergeant. Resin torsos are such a pain, because the resin-plastic join is everywhere. Resin head or weapon I can live with.

So this is how my heresy grows - super-slowly, plastic infantry model by plastic infantry model. And although it's great my son is now old enough to play Betrayal at Calth with me, without those terminators we can't play most of the missions!

Anyway, thank you for reading my story with no real point. Maybe for Christmas I'll buy myself a box of plastic Tartaros terminators, and let that resin lie undisturbed a few more years ...