30k Hobby Chat

I am moving and rebuilding my hobby area to a new part of the house. . . It’s a pretty big undertaking!

I feel you, brother. Every time I get it in my head above moving in the next year or so, I invariably turn my head to the three bookcases worth of Warhammer and dread the day.

I'm getting back into Heresy with a few mates so am working on these guys at the moment and rather than start a plog I'll jump in here for now.

P1010334

Found these by chance and they are really nice for truescaling, probably going to do Iron Warriors or Alpha Legion. I don't normally touch third party stuff because I prefer to convert my own stuff but these are really nice and capture the early Great Crusade tech level quite well. They're made by Tortuga Bay, bit on the chunky side but I really like them and something quick and easy to throw together.

Been working on my lost legion, making it more characterfull with hefty mauls and some fancy helmets.

b4M3926.jpg

Also had to upgrade my apothecary after seeing fabius' backpack. Its very brittle but its quite cool.

PJ073pj.jpg

Finally, as this is a legion project, it seemed sensible to make some Legion dice, like all the others!

DSnDB2z.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, just played a couple of baby games this weekend if anyone was missing battle reports - I know I was!

This weekend I had my first couple of games of 30k in prep for my first event at the end of the month.
I asked to play against 'something fast' and 'something slow', and no mercy - mistake 1/1

I had a delegatus, two terror squads with volkite chargers, a night raptor squad and a unit of hussars in a terror assault RoW.
RG had a beatstick praetor, dark furies, mor deythan, tac squad and assault squad.

We rolled the same mission for both games which was kill infantry or something?

hHqpmtYl.jpg?1
My deployment against the Raven Guard decap strike; two drab forces fighting in a drab city #photogenic

7FXFHmgl.jpg?1
This terror squad is immediately charged and destroyed by dark furies and a praetor. My bad, boys. 2/2

xCkY1j1l.jpg

My hussars charge into the fray to avenge their brethren (or grab their stuff) but are cut down with ease. Should have learned 3/3

gcOGWG9l.jpg
The other terror squad hides takes cover to avoid fire from mor deythan skulking around my deployment zone

FJZpYjYl.jpg?1
After considering their options, the terror squad opted to choom and charge the assault marines. They wipe the unit but are then shot to pieces by the tactical squad lurking in the building next to them.

qZwtBngl.jpg
My Night Raptors eventually deep strike in miles away and spend a couple of turns getting to the action - wiping out a tactical squad before being shot by mor deythan, charged by dark furies, and killed. 4/4

With that I was tabled; juked out of my shoes by the RG.

Next up was an Imperial Fists force - two units of breachers, some cataphactii, and a quad launcher/gun? 
MZ2cT5Fl.jpg
A terror squad once again gets charged ASAP by the terminators and praetor, but three of them manage to survive. One terminator got plinked in overwatch which was fun.
My night raptors counterattack the terminators and pretty much just bounce off the 3++, also my huntsmaster gets his head caved in a challenge.
Next turn, my delegatus accepts the praetor's challenge, rends with his headsmans axe and doubles the IF out. Fun!

n1izUtll.jpg
After eventually grinding out the terminators, my night raptors turn towards the breacher squad behind and get drilled by bolter fire. The delegatus survives, charges the breacher squad, wins combat and runs them all down. Fun!

On the other side of the board, terror squad 2 and hussars attempt to kill the second breacher squad, but get shot by the quad gun/fail first charge/whiff a load of attacks/fail morale and scurry away.

AseY87Pl.jpg
Look at those smug breachers.

Two not very close games but I had a good time.
Did not like paragon blades, plasma, dark furies, T5 breachers, big 3++ termi shields or passing fear tests. Pls remove.
However thoroughly enjoyed night fighting, preferred enemy, rending, deflagrate and outnumbering people.

Edited by Gore Crow

Can I just say how many things there are here of which I thoroughly approve. In no particular order:

Beautiful armies fighting on beautiful terrain

Smallish infantry-heavy games - not necessary for everyone to have huge, resin Lords of War to have a good game

Making some “unspoken rules” actually spoken, like the “no mercy”. You asked for it!

Now please can we see a shot of those hussars from the front? They look great from the back and I want to see more.

Can I just say how many things there are here of which I thoroughly approve. In no particular order:

Beautiful armies fighting on beautiful terrain

Smallish infantry-heavy games - not necessary for everyone to have huge, resin Lords of War to have a good game

Making some “unspoken rules” actually spoken, like the “no mercy”. You asked for it!

Now please can we see a shot of those hussars from the front? They look great from the back and I want to see more.

Thank you! I don't think I was in any danger of him going easy on me but it's better to be sure!

Here are my hussars from the front(ish). From what I've seen hussars have had a bit of a lukewarm reception but I quite like them

xFDJ0jhl.jpg

Edited by Gore Crow

Today is a good day.

Finally got the FW 2011 Boarding Marine. Unsure what Counsel to build him as but definitely for my Wolves (may add some 6th Legion fetishes etc) with the Hammer and Shield leading Breachers.

And the Combi-Grenade Launcher will probably make it's way into one of the Vet Squads I want to build (focusing on light/medium infantry).

It's a really lovely model.

Yeah, there's definitely a few cool options which I guess don't have to be explicitly modelled. I think Warmonger could be fun for deepstrike shenanigans and the improved invulnerable save.

I'm just thinking of his fluff.

Deepstriking a breacher squad behind enemy lines with a Warmonger would be something, certainly. For fluff he could be a breacher sergeant who managed to rally several squads in a breaching action and managed to take a ship despite the losses sustained on the squads, could be the reason why he now teleports in with a breacher squad with his trusty shield and thunder hammer.

At this point I would like to ask why the Warmonger is so popular?

For some unknown reason, many players seem to see it as the answer to all questions. At least when it comes to using Deep Strike.

But for me it seems very unreasonable to deep strike cc units with it, for obvious reasons, and very expansive units like Breachers seem kind of wasted, too, if they arrive late game?

Well straight up his built in wargear makes him very efficient; you basically get the deepstrike bonus for free compared to a lot of other consuls that pay for their special rules. It also doesn't hurt that the gear is premium stuff that isn't usually available.

The real bonus is of course the access to deepstrike. The caveat is that it's only really valuable with lists built to support it; just jamming him in there because the internet says he's good won't get you much of a return. But with a few other deepstrike units and a Damocles you're good to go. Breachers are basically the worst in terms of game strength, but they do allow for a brick that's a bit annoying to remove with some special weapons thrown in.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

At this point I would like to ask why the Warmonger is so popular?

For some unknown reason, many players seem to see it as the answer to all questions. At least when it comes to using Deep Strike.

But for me it seems very unreasonable to deep strike cc units with it, for obvious reasons, and very expansive units like Breachers seem kind of wasted, too, if they arrive late game?

He comes with Iron Halo and Digital Lasers which make him a great CC Charakter even if he lacks the Paragon Blade.

The second Point is the free Deep Strike for any unit he joins which is interesting for some Legions that dont have access to Deep Striking Terminators.

Or with some planing in your list there is other stuff He can make useable without the need of a RoW.

Deep Striking HSS Squads with Heavy Flamers or Multimeltas for example.

Third point. Like a Spartan the Warmonger is easy to use.

What’s everyone’s favorite HSS load out?

Personally, with my IF, Volkite Culverins because, in a pinch, you can use the sheer volume of fire as emergency AA and anti light armor thanks to native Tank Hunters.

Well I’ve never actually run one, but I dream of a squad of the no-longer-available forgeworld heavy flamers in zone mortalis. Probably not the most flexible unit though... Edited by LameBeard

Well I’ve never actually run one, but I dream of a squad of the no-longer-available forgeworld heavy flamers in zone mortalis. Probably not the most flexible unit though...

Drop them down with a warmonger. ;)

Personally, with my IF, Volkite Culverins because, in a pinch, you can use the sheer volume of fire as emergency AA and anti light armor thanks to native Tank Hunters.

They’re also great from a rule of cool perspective, let alone their ability to point at infantry and basically delete them via volume.

I also imagine most have their squads armed with Heavy Bolters or Missile Launchers, even if they don’t see the table. I’ve consciously got a bundle of the latter for visuals, as well as ones armed with Plasma Cannons, as the underslung weaponry looks brilliant in my mind!