Book 9 appears to be on U.S. soil

Aztek

Right off the bat I’m thinking if I want to synergize the Themes between Fists and Angels the ideal is to play up the knight themes of both. Rely of the Fists breacher bonuses and either heavily play up the Dreadwing or Stormwing. Both will have a large core of terminators, but I’m not sure if they should be Cenobim or Deathwing. This is the most excited I’ve been in years. Already bitz shopping.

Interesting change with the termite - In addition to being fast attack, it can now be taken as a dedicated transport for destroyer squads, scyllax and veletaris storm sections

Destroyers popping up to unleash Rad Missiles? Love it

If you're playing Dark Angels, run Eskaton rite or war and then you have Destroyers as compulsory troops taking termites. That's a lot of rad popping up!

As long as you’re using the Playtest Destroyer rules where they don’t cost 10,000,000 points for a unit of ten :0

Speaking of that.

Was really hoping for them to drop a faq today. Like really, really hoping. I'd like to be able to take a white scar praetor on shamshir for chogorian brotherhood. Or the Khan. Or give dawnbreakers assault grenades. Or fix daemons. Or fix crimson paladins. Or fix other things that haven't worked for years and years and years.

Using the Hexagrammaton rules you can turn tactical squads and tactical support squads into Destroyer-Lite squads, buff actual destroyers into elite destroyers, use the toxiferran flamer rules to give your dreads a Destroyer feel. We are going to be able to make some really thematic armies with these. Extremely stoked. Corswain is an absolute beast and depending on the model might prompt me to make an army around his relief forces at the Siege to go with my fists.

Which rite will you use, Coils of the Hydra? :wink:

Eskaton Imperative rite of war

-destoryer and interemptor squads are  compulsory troops

-enemy units with LOS to a scion of the dreadwing IC within 12" get -1ld

-all open terrain becomes differcult, may place three markers, all terrain within 6" becomes dangerous in addition to existing rules

-all units and characters with Scion of the dreadwing rule can take rad grenades, statis grenades, or swap a heavy weapon with a plasma incinerator

-compulsory troops and Warlord must have scion of the dreadwing

-enemy scores 1VP if they've got any units left in their own deployment zone, 3VP if its a scoring unit

-all infantry units and IC must start the game in transports

-can't take fortification or allied detachment

Haha this is exquisite. It's literally the DA unloading from shielded transports amidst the radiation fires of a world they're killing. Ya love to see it.

Looking forward to seeing what FW hath wrought in this extended background section for the DA.

Edited by Sandlemad

What is the max unit size on the Firewing cabal? Is it just a hard unit size of 3?

Yep. Flat 3 with no option to take more, which is annoying. Though they are quite chunky with their 2W.

No frag grenades (FW quality strikes again) and their rules/weapons are lackluster for "hurr durr character killers". I don't know what purpose that unit is supposed to serve.

Another weird thing:

Deathwing Companions in TDA get Terranic Greatswords or Thunderhammers as a free swap from their Calibanite Warblade but pay +5 to swap to a power fist.

Another weird thing:

Deathwing Companions in TDA get Terranic Greatswords or Thunderhammers as a free swap from their Calibanite Warblade but pay +5 to swap to a power fist.

Isn't that pretty much standard for Terminators though? The +5 for a Power First if they don't already have one stock?

If you look at normal termies, swapping a power weapon to a fist is +5, yes, but swapping to a Thunderhammer is also +10 (or 15, either case its more than a Fist). which is the discrepancy.

You'd literally never take Power Fists because Thunderhammers do the same thing but have Concussive on top and they dont cost you and extra 5 points.

What is the max unit size on the Firewing cabal? Is it just a hard unit size of 3?

Yep. Flat 3 with no option to take more, which is annoying. Though they are quite chunky with their 2W.

That’s obnoxious. How does FW expect them to fight a character stuffed into a 5-10 man squad?

That’s obnoxious. How does FW expect them to fight a character stuffed into a 5-10 man squad?
Maybe they think that a unit which has to be deployed carefully instead of being totally braindead good is appealing to most players.

Which it is. ;)

The thing about their jump pack is that "If a unit contains at least one model..." means that you can slap a JP Praetor with all the bells and whistles into the unit. Gets that Praetor Hatred and you can give the other firewing boys another Scion Rule via the Praetor and any other character you attach to the unit.

Firewing give you basically always on 5+ cover save and overwatch denial.

Not perfect but its one way, currently, that I can see making them work.

3 for 150 seems like a lot but they basically have the statline of a basic Centurion with extra gear on top. Not having grenades suck but hey.

Kinda fits with the theme of the book, firewing canals hunting down night lord characters in HQ lists running around by themselves.

Edit: Actually it’s the first example I can think of FW designing one unit and another unit to function like that for a specific campaign. Even malevolence with Nullificators or the Isstvan books weren’t set up with units to play off each other like that

Edited by Marshal Rohr

Another weird thing:

Isn't that pretty much standard for Terminators though? The +5 for a Power First if they don't already have one stock?

If you look at normal termies, swapping a power weapon to a fist is +5, yes, but swapping to a Thunderhammer is also +10 (or 15, either case its more than a Fist). which is the discrepancy.

You'd literally never take Power Fists because Thunderhammers do the same thing but have Concussive on top and they dont cost you and extra 5 points.

Oh right, I get what you mean now. I assume it is a deliberate mirror of the Inner Circle Knights getting a free Thunder Hammer options - swords and hammers lore wise being considered knightly weapons?

Been looking at the info about the Contekar and noticed the bit about their prototype power claws only being found in the armories of the Night Lords and Sons of Horus. I know we're in the middle of a huge release, but maybe that's something we'll see added to the Sons' army list in an upcoming book?

The thing about their jump pack is that "If a unit contains at least one model..." means that you can slap a JP Praetor with all the bells and whistles into the unit. Gets that Praetor Hatred and you can give the other firewing boys another Scion Rule via the Praetor and any other character you attach to the unit.

Firewing give you basically always on 5+ cover save and overwatch denial.

Not perfect but its one way, currently, that I can see making them work.

3 for 150 seems like a lot but they basically have the statline of a basic Centurion with extra gear on top. Not having grenades suck but hey.

They can take a grenade launcher with Stasis Grenades though right? - 1 WS & I (unless the rules have changed for Stasis)