Book 9 appears to be on U.S. soil

Aztek

What is the max unit size on the Firewing cabal? Is it just a hard unit size of 3?

Yep. Flat 3 with no option to take more, which is annoying. Though they are quite chunky with their 2W.

That’s obnoxious. How does FW expect them to fight a character stuffed into a 5-10 man squad?

The thing about their jump pack is that "If a unit contains at least one model..." means that you can slap a JP Praetor with all the bells and whistles into the unit. Gets that Praetor Hatred and you can give the other firewing boys another Scion Rule via the Praetor and any other character you attach to the unit.

Firewing give you basically always on 5+ cover save and overwatch denial.

Not perfect but its one way, currently, that I can see making them work.

3 for 150 seems like a lot but they basically have the statline of a basic Centurion with extra gear on top. Not having grenades suck but hey.

They can take a grenade launcher with Stasis Grenades though right? - 1 WS & I (unless the rules have changed for Stasis)

They can, yeah but being WS5 and I5 base makes that a bit redundant save vs units they probably dont want to be in combat with.

-1I will help against other I5 or I6 units to make them go first or at the same time respectively. Against any other initiative, only really helps getting the sweep off.

The -1WS helps against WS6 units knocking them down to WS5 and Mastery of the Blade kicking in. Otherwise, unless im mistaken, thats about it.

Edited by Slips

Has anyone got any thoughts on how the Excindo Battle Automata fit into a list, Ironwing or otherwise?

What is the max unit size on the Firewing cabal? Is it just a hard unit size of 3?

Yep. Flat 3 with no option to take more, which is annoying. Though they are quite chunky with their 2W.

That’s obnoxious. How does FW expect them to fight a character stuffed into a 5-10 man squad?

The thing about their jump pack is that "If a unit contains at least one model..." means that you can slap a JP Praetor with all the bells and whistles into the unit. Gets that Praetor Hatred and you can give the other firewing boys another Scion Rule via the Praetor and any other character you attach to the unit.

Firewing give you basically always on 5+ cover save and overwatch denial.

Not perfect but its one way, currently, that I can see making them work.

3 for 150 seems like a lot but they basically have the statline of a basic Centurion with extra gear on top. Not having grenades suck but hey.

They can take a grenade launcher with Stasis Grenades though right? - 1 WS & I (unless the rules have changed for Stasis)

They can, yeah but being WS5 and I5 base makes that a bit redundant save vs units they probably dont want to be in combat with.

-1I will help against other I5 or I6 units to make them go first or at the same time respectively. Against any other initiative, only really helps getting the sweep off.

The -1WS helps against WS6 units knocking them down to WS5 and Mastery of the Blade kicking in. Otherwise, unless im mistaken, thats about it.

That still should give them a decent chance against a Praetor level character, and as has been mentioned you can always attach a jump pack equipped character to buff their killing power and benefit from the no-overwatch etc.

I'm going to be generous and assume that their lack of Frag Grenades and limited numbers are an intentional attempt at balance. Same with the restriction on jump pack Destroyers in the Dreadwing focused RoW. 

I am fine with the restriction on destroyers, I was planning on making some that way anyways. I haven't really seen much about using them that way, so it could be good to give them a role there.

Removed bit - unneeded

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Can anyone tell me if any Contekar can swap their Chainblade for a Power Claw as described in Garro's write up? Or is it a Sgt. only thing?

Only the sergeant ("Dissident") can take the fancy new claw

Why do you wound me so? lol

Are the regular ones able to take any sort of other melee weapon?

Can anyone tell me if any Contekar can swap their Chainblade for a Power Claw as described in Garro's write up? Or is it a Sgt. only thing?

Only the sergeant ("Dissident") can take the fancy new claw

Why do you wound me so? lol

Are the regular ones able to take any sort of other melee weapon?

Nope bud, sorry - melee weapons are locked in

Lol sevatar's new weapon also has duelist's edge.

wow, that's cheap. I don't know how thought process at FW looks like but that was totally unnecessary. Giving him art and ap2 was a good step, it should be like this from the start but this is just... dumb.

Anyone thinking night lords will take anyone else to hunt with firewing are kidding themselves. They'll get jammed along with everyone other non-primarch

Don't you worry, psyarkana have quite a few items to mess him good and with Ld7 I'd say it will be hilarious to watch. Not to mention that psi resonant pentacle will bring him to I1 resulting in mutual kill with PF wielding centurion costing half his cost lol:wink:

Also your past and present anti DA bias shows.

Edited by rendingon1+

The lore is quite something.

For one thing... 603 is a date given for an early battle.

That is two centuries before the Great Crusade.

That is alot, like alot alot.

It also throws Valdor on its head since it means the Emp showed two centuries of patience with trying to negotiate with the Selenites before he lost his temper and flipped the table.

It also makes you wonder why he changed the story of the Thunder Warriors dying to the end of the Unity, if they were dead for two centuries by the Crusade it seems like it would have been better to erase them from history rather than to be sentimental about it.

It's probably a typo for 903. Otherwise, that throws off a lot.

No dice, its repeated with a few 600 dates (663 for one) and followed by a mention of the TWs being gone by the mid point of Unity.

Also, they apparently had Glorianas as the core of most of their battlegroups.

Edited by StrangerOrders

Second part is no surprise, we knew. Gloriana is a loose classification for large, unique capital ships. Otherwise, ah well, weird. Part of me wonders if this is future-proofing if they ever want to make Unification Wars or Great Crusade a setting too, by giving it more padding in terms of time span.

Second part is no surprise, we knew. Gloriana is a loose classification for large, unique capital ships. Otherwise, ah well, weird. Part of me wonders if this is future-proofing if they ever want to make Unification Wars or Great Crusade a setting too, by giving it more padding in terms of time span.

Well actually no, it mentions that they have alot of Gloriana pattern and then specifies that they also have alot of large and unique capital ships which are comparable to the Custodes fleet.

Like... I want to like this but some of this stuff is starting to edge dangerously close to Ward Ultramarines level of special. Which, I guess is fine since they are the first? I think.

That's a little frustrating but not impossible to reconcile...

But yeah, I think I know what you mean. I've read a section* of an encounter between the Dark Angels and Sons of Horus at the outbreak of the Heresy that had me rolling my eyes, haaaard. The gaming side looks great so far though.

*from an image. I won't have the book for another week :(

Edited by LetsYouDown

The last book had more pre-Great Crusade attack on Luna lore too. There might be a retcon or disconnect. You can ask Anuj about it nicely on Crusade and Heresy

Odd wording, being rude is a good way to not get a question answered. I do not know Crusade and Heresy though, is it a forum of some stripe?

I'm a fair way into the fluff and its... I am waiting for a moment to really win me over but for the time being it is a bit of a hard pill to swallow in terms of its contents. 

Took a bit to look over the rules and they looked ample enough, although I am far from a meta enough guy to really judge them.

They seem powerful, bonkers powerful in some cases. But the prices also strike me as steep, especially due to how they kind of make your force a fair bit smaller, which is odd for the Legion which was almost Ultramarines big at the Heresy (200k marines 'officially' is a fair chonker of a Legion).

I mean, cutting out the repetitive bit about the envy everyone had for them would help, and Hector's comeuppance seems more a blip than the horrible moment the book tries to paint it as. The Rangda doesnt even seem that horrible so far. 

I am also not a big fan of how casually its undercutting the UM, IF, TS and SW's bits without drawbacks. 

As I said, I am hoping something really turns it around but this is getting to the level where I feel like the smurfs would be memed to death if they tried to pull this. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they retconned it. I always thought the timeline as is was total nonsense. I'd think it would take around a century between the agreement with Mars to the launch of the GC to build up the forces needed.

As well the black books are framed as incomplete and even incorrect imperial records, so perhaps they went a bit overboard with that.

I can't make a full judgment until my book arrives on Monday. But nothing I hear really bothers me, sounds fine.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion