Halls of Titan - WIPs and Contemplations

Skywrath

Hey all!

Pictured WIP is my first 40K model in something close to 18 years.  Space Hulk Librarian conversion with custom sculpted & printed back rack, cape and warding stave (top part)

I've decided my GK's will be 4th Brotherhood.  This marine is Lord Librarian Captius.

not sure how to do the spoiler thing so....

Photo Nov 13, 9 29 07 AM

Photo Nov 13, 9 29 27 AM

Photo Nov 13, 9 29 40 AM

Photo Nov 13, 9 30 15 AM

Edited by Cryminysakes

Hey all!
Pictured WIP is my first 40K model in something close to 18 years.  Space Hulk Librarian conversion with custom sculpted & printed back rack, cape and warding stave (top part)

I've decided my GK's will be 4th Brotherhood.  This marine is Lord Librarian Captius.

Welcome to these hallowed halls of Titan, Neophyte! It's always nice to see more recruits join us on this forum.

That being said, that is a very nice librarian model - was the inspiration from a Blood Angel Terminator Librarian?

Hey all!

Welcome to these hallowed halls of Titan, Neophyte! It's always nice to see more recruits join us on this forum.

That being said, that is a very nice librarian model - was the inspiration from a Blood Angel Terminator Librarian?

I guess technically yes since the Space Hulk terminators are blood angels.  Plus I did leave the one blood angel symbol on his knee.  Fluff wise I figured that would work out since GK's recruit from everywhere. 

Hey all!

I guess technically yes since the Space Hulk terminators are blood angels.  Plus I did leave the one blood angel symbol on his knee.  Fluff wise I figured that would work out since GK's recruit from everywhere. 

Not quite true though - their Black Ships recruit neophytes from anywhere, true, but they don't take other full-fledged Astartes from other chapters (that would be awesome though!) Of course, it doesn't stop you taking inspiration from an act of friendship between a Blood Angel and a Grey Knight, with the latter choosing to remember the former and hence adorn his armor with Blood Angel iconography. Such a thing is a relatively common practice, I recall an Imperial Fist did that for an Ultramarine, details of which escape me.

Hey all!

Not quite true though - their Black Ships recruit neophytes from anywhere, true, but they don't take other full-fledged Astartes from other chapters (that would be awesome though!) Of course, it doesn't stop you taking inspiration from an act of friendship between a Blood Angel and a Grey Knight, with the latter choosing to remember the former and hence adorn his armor with Blood Angel iconography. Such a thing is a relatively common practice, I recall an Imperial Fist did that for an Ultramarine, details of which escape me.

I was going to say the same thing as Skywrath, but like the whole exorcists successor weirdness, it's not a battle worth fighting..

Alright, this is a question for the professionals. After browsing for an avatar online, I chanced across these three pictures (no, I didn't paint them):

lL8pmmD.jpg
auPz9RA.jpg
zXQyQM8.jpg

Consider my breath stolen, and my ambition burning to replicate this. So here is my long series of questions, I want a full picture analysis on this:

1. How did that painter manage to do the shining blue bionics of the eye-lenses, and that light on top of his helmet?
2. What colour did he use on the that darker steel grey? While my Grey Knights are white-silver, I'm a fairly big fan of that dark steel. 
3. That light effect on his greaves - is that actual light, or is that an effect? If so, how is that done?
4. Airbrushed or classically painted?
5. Just a general colour analysis on EVERYTHING in that picture and whether some of them per chance can be replicated with GW paints if they aren't them.

Sorry for the loaded question, but I must know how that is done.
Edited by Skywrath

Holy Malcador...... those Terminators are insane!

THat looks like airbrush prime and underpainting followed by many many hours of wet blending NMM and then more airbrush for the helmet glows.

IDK what that darker grey is but Im very certain it isnt metallic.

Dangit.  I like mine but I do want a much more grimdark feel like this.  However this dude is spending a week per model. Yikes.

Edited by Cryminysakes

Alright, so apparently this guy still accepts commissions for the price 350 euros per miniature. Takes him months to paint them, as expected, so I'm tempted to say it's reasonable *TM* but I don't have money flowing out of me in all directions to justify buying at least one. Perhaps a Draigo, just maybe. But otherwise no. 

He was kind enough to tell me how he done it -

For the gold he uses vallejo hull red, iyanden darksun and white

Still asking him about the other details, will keep you posted.

EDIT: He said these were done a lot of years ago, he doesn't remember the rest ;/
Edited by Skywrath

Most of it would be airbrushed, with an OSL effect for the eyes, and light, that's the easy part.

The lighting effect of the metals is airbrushed, you can get super controlled with an airbrush and the paint comes out so light, the blending effect is seamless and natural.

As for using someone else's work like that for an avatar. I would only do it with permission, and even then, its not my work, so its super misleading. Take mine for example, it's my model and paintjob, and looks perfectly fine in a small image.

And that's how most people use their avatars, as displays for models they're proud of. It becomes misleading for you to do that, as we all assume when someone uses a painted model as their personal avatar, we naturally interpret that as their model without question.

I can't speak for the painter, but in my opinion there is a lot of blending involved, rather than your standard basecoat, general or spot shading and drybrysh/edge highlights. I used to be pretty keen on stepping up my painting to a "pro" level, so did a bit of research on more advanced techniques. The usual method is to start with a white undercoat, and build up your colors with consecutive coats of very watered down paint (successive washes). Over the white primer, this builds up opacity and blending over many coats (blending), for a seamless transition from dark to light or vice versa. "Highlighting" in this manner is usually done with an imaginary point of light in mind, so that various areas of the model end up lighter than others in a "logical" fashion, rather than highlighting every edge or raised surface.. This is called zenithal highlighting, if I remember correctly, and if that works as a translation from French. I'm no expert, and only dabbled in pulling it of myself, to limited success - a lot of practice is required, and unless it is done well it looks kind of odd. But it's definitely not out of reach, it just requires patience and practice! Edited by The Woodsman

Thanks for your responses everyone, and sorry for the long response. I'm going to attempt what most of you suggested, however without the exact colors, I can expect that to be a wash-out (pun absolutely intended). The painter doesn't remember what he used, however what can be done, at my current level are those lenses - any of you got ideas how to do those? What recipes do you use?