BA and 9th Ed

It’ll be for a month or so.

DC getting bolters for 8th was a surprise. They’re in the box but on arms that are meant for holding them in 2 hands. All the artwork shows pistols with chainswords and every other unit trades a bolter for a bolt pistol when taking a melee weapon. Now it’s reserved for special models like sergeants and Terminators. Going back to the pistol isn’t a shock to me, even though I have 25 of them to switch over again.

We temporarily lose specials for AMs as the data sheet is from the generic Codex. We can easily get a listing in the supplement allowing the specials. If we don’t? Not the end of the world if we get standard assault marines. The new melta rules might be considered overpowered on speedy jump pack marines we can deep strike in. We can still use JP melta models as Legend company veterans.

These aren’t our full 9th changes, they’re a stop-gap to make things fit in the new systems before our supplement is launched (which was the first one mentioned). It’s the equivalent of our units being listed in the Index at the start of 8th with only generic warlord traits etc. Except this time we also get chapter tactics, some relics and doctrines without having to wait for the supplement.

Edited by Thoridon

still think its overall fine, its a temp thing, wait for the actual supplement before actually complaining about stuff IMO.

Although if the supplement rules match the free pdf update 1:1 it'll be pretty sad purely because it would make the supplement a waste haha.

but seriously, Dante and Sanguinor came out pretty good IMO, Sanguinary guard did too. The speed of the primarch warlord trait is a bit eh, but it kinda works in terms of how the game works now.

Remember that now, if you charge, you go first, then, you go first in their turn (unless they charged, in which case its them then you assuming only one of their units charged), and then you still go first in your turn if you're still stuck in a melee at that point. It really could be worse IMO. And again, its temporary. If anything, i'd bet it means anything in the PDF is probably what it'll be in codex, and stuff that isn't will be new. I.e updated sanguinary discipline, new warlord traits, some new relics, new stratagems etc.

Time will tell!

So the SangPriest ability of changing the doctrine to Assault Doctrine says "for that attack." The way I read it that means it will grant the -1 AP, but the model/unit itself won't get Savage Echoes.

Am I reading too far into that? I hope so.

Edit: Because the effect doesn't occur until the number of attacks have already been determined.

Edited by Hintzy

So the SangPriest ability of changing the doctrine to Assault Doctrine says "for that attack." The way I read it that means it will grant the -1 AP, but the model/unit itself won't get Savage Echoes.

Am I reading too far into that? I hope so.

I’d say rules as written you’re right. The Priest ability triggers when the unit makes an attack, whereas Savage Echoes is triggered when a unit charges or is charged, which occurs before making attacks.

I would assume it only grants the extra -1 AP unless they errata it to say they intended for savage echoes to apply and just worded it badly.

About Speed of the Primarch...from all the Leaks and reviews I can find there is no WLT that is actually called that in the new Codex: Space Marines (2020) . And since the first part of our FAQ flat out says “Codex: Blood Angels (2018) no longer exists from a rules perspective”.....??????

Also, interesting take per usual:

https://www.goonhammer.com/october-2020-faq-update-review-blood-angels/

Edited by Indefragable

The Codex has a list of shared warlord traits and then 1 unique to each chapter. Each chapter will get more unique traits when the supplements are out, but we get 1 for now that all our named characters use until the supplement arrives and makes this pdf invalid.

Speed of the Primarch is the BA trait.

“Speed of the Primarch: Your warlord always strikes first, even if he didn't charge, unless the enemy charged or has a similar trait”

Edited by Thoridon

Heh

The sole comment under goonhammers run through feels very accurate

Till the supplament hits, we're basically worse white scars.

Ouch.

I didn't notice at first because I didn't look too closely at points, but all of our unique characters took eye-watering points increases save for Dante and the Sanguinor, which were also the only ones to be buffed overall.

Lemartes going up feels especially mean because he's just worse now. Lost 1 attack, and can only target DC with anything. Which tbf makes fluff sense, but its still a nerf and increase in one go.

Astorath went up ridiculous 40 points.

A Priest with a jump pack went up 30

Mephiston went down 15, but without Sanguinary discipline he's just a hella over priced librarian

The Codex has a list of shared warlord traits and then 1 unique to each chapter. Each chapter will get more unique traits when the supplements are out, but we get 1 for now that all our named characters use until the supplement arrives and makes this pdf invalid.

Speed of the Primarch is the BA trait.

“Speed of the Primarch: Your warlord always strikes first, even if he didn't charge, unless the enemy charged or has a similar trait”

Thanks. That’s what I was missing, since nothing I read mentioned default traits for each of BA/DA/DW/SW.

Upgrading a Libby Dread to a Chief Librarian for 25 points for an extra power and deny and access to the Psychic Mastery warlord trait seems like a nice option. Especially with the Biomantic Sarcophagus relic for extra range for Null Zone or Psychic Fortress.

I don't see any limitation for the Chief Librarian for the Libby Dread at least, beyond not being able to take it if you're fielding Mephiston.

A few things I’m sad about. No bolter/CS option for Death Coy. It appears we’ve lost plasmas/meltas/inferno pistols/hand flamers on the RAS. Appears no heavy flamer Devs anymore too. And unless I’m missing something we lost a boatload of stratagems including Death Visions, so no more Death Coy Captains at all, which sucks as with the the changes to how a lot of of the other stratagems work, meant the Super Smash Cap was no longer really a thing anymore, and a Death Coy Captain would have just become a really cool model we could have fielded for flavour and no longer the absolute beatstick other factions were complaining about. Love the change to Fragioso Dreadnoughts, and while we lost the 2d6 attacks, we gained a great deal of extra range, and the blast rule. The extra range makes them good at podding in now, so that is good. These are just my initial thoughts, and still need to my Marine codex and go over the FAQ in greater detail to fully understand where we’re at, and of course things may very well change, for better or worse, when the actual book drops.

Can anyone clarify for me - I've read the Death Company intercessor sheet like 5 times, and I think I understand but:

• Death co intercessors with chainswords cannot exchange a chain sword for a special melee weapon?
  • The only way to get a thuder hammer/power fist in the unit is by equipping with bolt rifles/other and taking it in addition?
  • It's impossible to have a unit equipped with heavy bp's and CSwords, and upgrade a model to have a special melee weapon.

Right? This has to change with the supplement. Even assault intercessors can have hammers. 

Everyone who's panicking right now please take a deep breath. This is just a pdf to cover the short time till we get our proper supplement. Save your anger and despair till we see our full book. Looking at the Ultramarine supplement, there are no less than 6 WL traits, 2 pages relics and special issue war gear and two whole pages of strats. Afaik that's roughly the case for any other SM supplement too and I expect no less for us. I'm positively surprised how much GW has put into this pdf as our supplement is already on the horizon.

Can anyone clarify for me - I've read the Death Company intercessor sheet like 5 times, and I think I understand but:

• Death co intercessors with chainswords cannot exchange a chain sword for a special melee weapon?
  • The only way to get a thuder hammer/power fist in the unit is by equipping with bolt rifles/other and taking it in addition?
  • It's impossible to have a unit equipped with heavy bp's and CSwords, and upgrade a model to have a special melee weapon.

Right? This has to change with the supplement. Even assault intercessors can have hammers. 

Seems that way, although I'm wondering if we're misunderstanding the intent of the wording both here and on vet intercessors and perhaps the all doesn't mean they all have to, but that they can so you can mix? i really don't know though, seems a bit awkward tbh.

seems a bit awkward tbh.

Indeed, 9th seems to be the wordy edition. Great for shutting down rules lawyers and reducing FAQ time, but I fear that it'll make the game impenetrable for new players. This data sheet case in point. I had to read several times before I understood what was going on, that can be streamlined for sure. 

Upgrading a Libby Dread to a Chief Librarian for 25 points for an extra power and deny and access to the Psychic Mastery warlord trait seems like a nice option. Especially with the Biomantic Sarcophagus relic for extra range for Null Zone or Psychic Fortress.

I don't see any limitation for the Chief Librarian for the Libby Dread at least, beyond not being able to take it if you're fielding Mephiston.

Just as long as we get wings back. I very much dought they would can what is a massively iconic spell that is throughout the lore for VA but.... well its GW. See what happens with the codex

Seems that way, although I'm wondering if we're misunderstanding the intent of the wording both here and on vet intercessors and perhaps the all doesn't mean they all have to, but that they can so you can mix? i really don't know though, seems a bit awkward tbh.

I read it as we can't take melee weapons for DC assault intercessor sarge. Guess that's because right now we only have the Indomitus box set load out and till the official kit for A-Intercessors gets released they won't let us play with that...

I read it as we can't take melee weapons for DC assault intercessor sarge. Guess that's because right now we only have the Indomitus box set load out and till the official kit for A-Intercessors gets released they won't let us play with that...

But doesn't the new SM codex allow AI's to take a special CCW on the sergeant?