9th Starter Box Speculation

I’d say they were emphasising sisters because they’re the only other Imperium faction that is both predominantly human and it’s realistic to see them keeping up with marines and going toe to toe with Necrons.

Ad mech, knights etc are too removed from human for that kind of film (it needs to appeal to new players remember), Custodes wouldn’t be different enough from marines and Imperial Guard are too squishy and need to be the cannon fodder.

Sisters are just a good fit for the narrative of the film and I don’t think there’s any more deeper reason than that.

I think the reason they are emphasizing sisters is that ours was the last dex to drop, so we are likely to feel most shafted by a new edition, and they didn't want us to feel shafted.

I also think sisters are probably selling better than a lot of other factions.

Id say its more likely the latter of the 2, GW aint THAT cuddly

Sisters getting a big narrative push/featuring prominently in Crusade would explain them being one of 3 featured armies. Theyve also gotten a big fancy revamp so makes sense to push that line.

There is also huge precedent for Crusades with SoB; the push of Taddeus the Purifier to the Blackstone Fortress was described as a crusade, which is why there are so many ministorum units in the game. It will be really cool if they create multiple faction specific crusade options to guide the ways in which individual crusades can grow,

There's a danger in over speculating though- it leads to unrealistic expectations. 

It sounds like we might not have to wait long to get more information.

I think the reason they are emphasizing sisters is that ours was the last dex to drop, so we are likely to feel most shafted by a new edition, and they didn't want us to feel shafted.

I also think sisters are probably selling better than a lot of other factions.

It wouldn't shock me if Sisters do get another wave at some point in 9th as well. I agree with you that they're selling better, and I think GW will be pushing the more popular lines in a down economy.

They might have more than just the boxed game in the box, the Starter boxes are loss leaders for them so i doubt theyll change policy for that much of a price hike, theres usually all sorts of random gubbins released around a new edition so ill bet its them.

I can't remember how the death guard and primaris releases were spaced out after the last edition release. Presumably the new necron range and multipart marine kits (plus anything extra like the landspeeder) will follow the new box in a similar pattern to last time.

I think Dark Imperium was the first edition in a while that included the full rule book in the box, I hope they stick with that. I remember condensed books with just the rules in for a while before that.

Going by T & Cs of the mystery box competition the box will be £120/€160/290 Aussie dollars.

Bit of a serious price hike. Definitely getting that 3rd party

Ooh I was £5 out if it turns out to be that price.

I think GW is pushing Sisters because:

1: They are a brand new, fantastic looking model range.

2: They tick the box of diversity which might help the hobby grow.

3: They are a very unique, grim dark faction mixing superstition with technology and they deserve to be showcased.

Going by T & Cs of the mystery box competition the box will be £120/€160/290 Aussie dollars.

Go third party and split with a friend, £51 each - That's a pretty sweet deal still.

Yeah definitely going 3rd party for €125 and selling Necron half.

Dont forget the rulebook though for splits

Go third party and split with a friend, £51 each - That's a pretty sweet deal still.

What's that in USD? Anyone got a guess?

I'm pretty sure it's going to be $190 (USD). If £60 = $95 according to GW, and it appears so looking at the start collecting boxes for example.

Edited by AenarIT

I'm pretty sure it's going to be $190 (USD). If £60 = $95 according to GW, and it appears so looking at the start collecting boxes for example.

£60 is less than $75 USD. Gotta love GW math. Maybe that's why their game is never balanced...

Any import taxes are definitely less than that. The US also doesn't have the VAT that Europe, etc. would have, but we clearly pay for it anyways in price, and then have to pay sales tax on top of that.

I think the box will be $200 USD after the not-in-UK price additions.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Any import taxes are definitely less than that. The US also doesn't have the VAT that Europe, etc. would have, but we clearly pay for it anyways in price, and then have to pay sales tax on top of that.

If GW’s conversion rate stays the same, a £120 product would be €160 and $190 in USD. It would be double the amount £60 €80 $95 Start Collecting boxes cost.

The conversion rate is not the same for many things. Compare £95 / $160 for Dark Imperium, or £105 / $185 for Prophecy of the Wolf.

When looking at the rate for those, I think it's more likely to be $200 or $210.

It’s probably all to do with trade tariffs also don’t forget.

Anyway I didn’t know there was a special edition of dark imperium. What was in that? and do we think there’ll be a special edition of 9th? 

It’s probably all to do with trade tariffs also don’t forget.

Anyway I didn’t know there was a special edition of dark imperium. What was in that? and do we think there’ll be a special edition of 9th?

I slightly misremembered I think, there was a special edition of the rulebook with metal objectives, trackers, rulers, and art prints but not the box

Had a look at and yes US sales taxes are far lower than in UK and toys from EU arent subject to tariffs BUT last October they did a 25% tariff on books and decals

I think the price is absolutely fine. It's basically over two new start collecting sets worth of models, plus hopefully the full sized rule book and dice etc. My only real debate now is whether to add the bikes to my IF or add a fledgling WS component. That kit really shines in white.

I think the price is absolutely fine. It's basically over two new start collecting sets worth of models, plus hopefully the full sized rule book and dice etc. My only real debate now is whether to add the bikes to my IF or add a fledgling WS component. That kit really shines in white.

For existing players its a reasonable price, but this isnt Shadowspear. As a starter box/loss leader/entry to the game I think its expensive even allowing for inflation/taxation/tariffs/currency fluctuations

• 2 weeks later...

For existing players its a reasonable price, but this isnt Shadowspear. As a starter box/loss leader/entry to the game I think its expensive even allowing for inflation/taxation/tariffs/currency fluctuations

Yeah I have to agree, as a starter set its a bit too expensive. Shadowspear was more aimed at existing players IMO, they were split into start collectings much later for a more reasonable price. I wonder if the starter will be ETB or full kits this time around. I might pick this one up myself.