Valerian's Plans for 9th Edition

Valerian

What was your MOS in the army 

I didn't have an MOS; I was an Armor/Cavalry officer for 10 years, then switched into Space Operations for the second 10 years.  {that's why I have the EQUITES ALATUS Moderator name}

Did you also serve, LB?  I know there are a ton of folks on the BnC who have, or still do.

V

I didn't have an MOS; I was an Armor/Cavalry officer for 10 years, then switched into Space Operations for the second 10 years.
If you ever served in the US Army, you must have a Military Occupational Specialty. May we presume the army you served in was not that of the United States, but of Britain?

I didn't have an MOS; I was an Armor/Cavalry officer for 10 years, then switched into Space Operations for the second 10 years.
If you ever served in the US Army, you must have a Military Occupational Specialty. May we presume the army you served in was not that of the United States, but of Britain?

Officers in the U.S. Army don't have an MOS (Military Occupational Specialty).  We have an AOC (Area of Concentration).   You can learn about the differences here.

My AOC was 19A/19C then became 40A when I started the Functional Area 40 (Space Operations) path.

What loadout are you planning for Bjorn? Going to stick with assault cannon for the first few games until I can get a lascannon, but might just reserve the lascannons for a contemptor.

I’ve got him modeled with the Plasma Cannon, but he really needs the Lascannon. I need to find a spare Lascannon Dreadnought arm for him somewhere. They’ve been scarce lately on eBay.

A lot of stuff has been scarce on ebay since the lockdown it seems it has been quite frustrating. 

I also agree that Bjorn needs a las cannon , not being targetable and being able to put two high quality shots out at 48 inches is a very solid  ability. 

A lot of stuff has been scarce on ebay since the lockdown it seems it has been quite frustrating. 

I also agree that Bjorn needs a las cannon , not being targetable and being able to put two high quality shots out at 48 inches is a very solid  ability. 

I disagree, it isn't like we saw triple Venerable Chaplain Dreadnoughts doing just that, is it?  Not like every Iron Hands list took Bjorn's exact profile to kill everything in sight. (heavy, heavy sarcasm)

I have yet to do camo on any of my Infiltrators or scouts. I'm a retired marine, hunter and custom paint firearms..i

What did you do in the Marines? Brother Tyler is also a retired Marine, if you didn't already know that. I'm retired Army, myself.

But I do like this subtle effect. Do you have a fairly quick method for this?

It was the commission artist that managed that; all I do is shove money his way.
0331. Carried a 240g up until we took khandahar then I became a squad leader and setup camp rhino. Got back in March 02 and I got out in feb 03. Technically I'm not actually retired after 20 yrs in. I did 5 yrs since my first 4 got extended for Afghanistan. Edited by Debauchery101

• 2 weeks later...

So, small update.  I've been doing a ton of play-testing, mostly against Grey Knights, and sometimes against Orks.  After a half-dozen or more practice battles, I've decided that Haldor Icepelt, the Primaris Battle Leader, just doesn't work very well, at all.  I've even been making him my Warlord, with Saga of the Wolfkin, and giving him the Armour of Russ, but he still doesn't kill enough, and dies too easily.  The Damage 1 Power Axe just doesn't cut it (ha!), when going up against Elite Infantry, like Paladins.  

Also, the Armour of Russ helps, with the 4++ Invulnerable Save, which he normally wouldn't have an Inv Save, at all.  However, it hasn't been quite as Over-Powered as it should be, when an opponent can spend the 2 Command Points for the melee interrupt (Counter-Offensive stratagem) and bypass the effects of the Armour.  

So, based on this experience, albeit limited, I'm thinking I'm going to have to give the new Bladeguard Battle Leader a go as my second in command. I'm thinking I'll get a lot more out of the Neo-Volkite Pistol, Master-crafted Power Sword, and Storm Shield loadout, than I have been with the Bolt Carbine, Power Axe, and Armour of Russ.

On a positive note, if the Judiciar's rules end up making him really, really, worth taking, I'm thinking I can use my Haldor as a count-as Judiciar.  He'll just be carrying a Relic Executioner's Axe.

Val

So, small update. I've been doing a ton of play-testing, mostly against Grey Knights, and sometimes against Orks. After a half-dozen or more practice battles, I've decided that Haldor Icepelt, the Primaris Battle Leader, just doesn't work very well, at all. I've even been making him my Warlord, with Saga of the Wolfkin, and giving him the Armour of Russ, but he still doesn't kill enough, and dies too easily. The Damage 1 Power Axe just doesn't cut it (ha!), when going up against Elite Infantry, like Paladins.

Also, the Armour of Russ helps, with the 4++ Invulnerable Save, which he normally wouldn't have an Inv Save, at all. However, it hasn't been quite as Over-Powered as it should be, when an opponent can spend the 2 Command Points for the melee interrupt (Counter-Offensive stratagem) and bypass the effects of the Armour.

So, based on this experience, albeit limited, I'm thinking I'm going to have to give the new Bladeguard Battle Leader a go as my second in command. I'm thinking I'll get a lot more out of the Neo-Volkite Pistol, Master-crafted Power Sword, and Storm Shield loadout, than I have been with the Bolt Carbine, Power Axe, and Armour of Russ.

On a positive note, if the Judiciar's rules end up making him really, really, worth taking, I'm thinking I can use my Haldor as a count-as Judiciar. He'll just be carrying a Relic Executioner's Axe.

Val

I've converted all 3 of his models to something else lol.

I have played a few games against orks this last weekend. My buddy runs a decent amount of multiwound junk like Kans and scrap tanks at me while he shoots away with his smasha guns and flashgitz.

I have been using a Supreme HQ stalker pack detachment. Warlord battle leader on thunderwolf with saga of savage and Ironfang relic, 2 battle leaders with jumps/shields/fists and 10 man unit of grapnel Reivers.

The rest of my points are spent on 2 5 man Intercessors in impulsors, ragnar, primaris wolf priest, phobos rune priest, some incursors and a few wulfen dreads including Murderfang.

It may not be an optimal setup but for 475 points and some decent maneuvering I can line up some really tough threats. I relinquish the idea that detachment does anything but mostly die but its enough to keep most attention from the rest of the stuff moving up. I got a couple really good lineups using the battleleaders jump in on a huge boys mob and using bloodscent on them after the BL killed some. I was able to 1 round an entire 30 man mob with reivers

I would like to play vs a very competitive grey Knights list. Nobody I know runs them anymore

Edited by Debauchery101

Armor of Russ can't be counteracted by using the Strategem as that isn't an ability that would allow a unit to fight first. It allows your opponent to choose an eligible unit and that unit can fight. However, Armor of Russ says that unit cannot be CHOSEN until all other units have gone first. So if they were using that during your Fight Phase against the Armor of Russ then they shouldn't have as a unit under its effect is not eligible to be chosen until all others have gone. This is also great defensively as if only one units makes it to you, the Armor of Russ can shut them down until you fight with everybody outside of units like Emperor's Children or a SW HQ with Saga of the Warriorborn. Edited by The Saint Ragnar

Armor of Russ can't be counteracted by using the Strategem as that isn't an ability that would allow a unit to fight first. It allows your opponent to choose an eligible unit and that unit can fight. However, Armor of Russ says that unit cannot be CHOSEN until all other units have gone first. So if they were using that during your Fight Phase against the Armor of Russ then they shouldn't have as a unit under its effect is not eligible to be chosen until all others have gone. This is also great defensively as if only one units makes it to you, the Armor of Russ can shut them down until you fight with everybody outside of units like Emperor's Children or a SW HQ with Saga of the Warriorborn.

@The Saint Ragnar:

104132813_10223470298694039_109632451079

What was the reason for taking the primaris wgbl in the First place? He seems like the least obvious HQ choice to me...

Points and the ability to ride in an Impulsor?

Yeah, that's an excellent question.  Mostly it was driven by theme - I really wanted Ragnar's Battle Leader to be able to accompany him in the Impulsor rush.  He's cheap, and the re-rolls to Wound for everybody in the assault AO is helpful.  Plus, when you have a lovely model like this, you want to be able to use it, right?

103275078_10223400812156919_442687508406

Armor of Russ can't be counteracted by using the Strategem as that isn't an ability that would allow a unit to fight first. It allows your opponent to choose an eligible unit and that unit can fight. However, Armor of Russ says that unit cannot be CHOSEN until all other units have gone first. So if they were using that during your Fight Phase against the Armor of Russ then they shouldn't have as a unit under its effect is not eligible to be chosen until all others have gone. This is also great defensively as if only one units makes it to you, the Armor of Russ can shut them down until you fight with everybody outside of units like Emperor's Children or a SW HQ with Saga of the Warriorborn.

@The Saint Ragnar:

104132813_10223470298694039_109632451079

What FAQ did this come from? I guess this would only happen during your charge phase so you have to make sure the stuff you are charging can do enough to stop them using the stratagem. Edited by The Saint Ragnar

I can understand where they are coming from with it, the wording seems to still conflict for me but if they say it cancels then it does. The counter offensive strategems lets you choose an eligible unit and fight with them immediately. The Armor of Russ makes it where the unit affected cannot be chosen to fight until all other units have done so that can. I can see that they mean counter offensive removes the unit from the whole phase in general but they should add that it takes them out to help make it super clear. Edited by The Saint Ragnar

Armor of russ is a defensive tool

Yes, that’s true. I’ll save it as an option to bring against other melee-focused armies. In the meantime I’m going to play around with using the Wulfenstone on a Wolf Priest, instead.