Odds on new Adeptus Astartes codex?

Hi, the previews of the new Primaris for the 9th edition starter box might be luring me over to the loyalists side at last - what would be the odds of a new space marine codex within the next year in your opinions? I think they've pretty much announced a Deathwatch codex within the first months of 9th, but I'm looking for Vanilla

Quite high I think.

We know that there's a few new units coming in the starter box (Assault Intercessors, Bladeguard Veterans, Bladeguard Captain, Bladeguard Lieutenant, Outriders, Hellfuries). While their rules will definitely be covered by the booklet in the starter box, I'd say it's likely that we'll see multipart plastic kits for (at least some of) those units in a few months time.
Multipart plastic kits are rarely supported only by the booklet in their box or on the website in PDF, or at least not for a prolonged period of time. Definitely not for the posterboys of the game. 
A new codex SM within the next year is quite likely imho.

I'd say low since they just got a fresh new Codex that's ahead of everyone else, but with GW and Marines you can be rest assured that the chances are never too low. :sweat:

Theres also the new vehicles from the leaked pic we assume will follow close behind

There will be people demanding a new marine codex too! And they cant/wont do non codex marines eg Deathwatch before codex marines AND include new units in them that the rest will get. Or theyll do it and eg DW get an incomplete codex very fast

My guess is they wont redo the codex supplements and they may have been written with 9th in mind

I’d say the odds of it happening within a year of release are fairly low. Remember they can always add new datasheets to the digital codexes and I’ve got a feeling, with them combining physical and digital codexes, they’re going to be moving (slowly) towards a model where digital is the main source of people codexes to enable them to be kept up to date and physical copies are more like collectors items.

Obviously, as they’re marines they will definitely get a new codex, but I can’t see the need for one quickly if the only point is to include new datasheets. Not when we know there are other factions much more in need of a new codex.

We know there’s very likely a new Necron codex on the horizon and if the rumours of the end of July for 9th release are correct it’s very likely that the release schedule from now until Christmas is already filled with the stuff we k ow about. I can’t see them being able to fit in a new marine codex in the first year or them really having a reason to try.

However, as Panzer said, with marines the chances are never that low they’ll get new stuff.

:thinking: perhaps they'll do a thing like the CSM 8.5 codex: it contained essentially CSM 8.0 codex + vigilus 2, and they had a chart explaining how they were essentially equivalent. So they could release SM 9.0 very soon, alongside a chart saying it's equivalent to SM 8.5 + PA2 + new starter campaign book.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Astartes Codex is another year or more out after the release of 9th; I reckon the first Codex will be Necrons - the new Primaris units from the starter box will have a mini-dex included in the set (like Dark Imperium had for Primaris), and Marine players will have to use that alongside their Codex for the time being.

There have been rumours of new factions coming in 9th (please, by the Pantheon, can we have Lost and the Dammed!!!), I wouldn't be surprised to see those before Marines either.

On top of that, there are other armies whose Codices are older than Marines. Blood Angels is one of those; given that pixelly potato-cam pic with the new Primaris bike/speeder showed what looks like BA alongside Ultras, I'd not be surprised if they're the first Marines to get a new Codex this edition. That kind of makes sense, with the introduction of the Assault Intercessors and Primaris Bikers - BA could be a flagship 'assault' army for this new edition.

It will 100% happen. During one of the recent livestreams they stated that Necrons and SM would get new books, and it's impossible to imagine them doing this whole Crusade shenanigan and not having an updated book for their flagship faction

Edited by Marshal Loss

Another vote for 'Yes'. There's no way GW will be able to resist the easy and sizeable influx of cash from selling the already more expensive (versus others) Space Marine 'dex. People will complain that it's barely been a year, but they'll still buy it anyway.

100%

My guess would be Space Marines, Necrons, Death Watch and maybe Eldar/Harlequins as the first four. My personal feeling is they will push the Xenos and Xenos fighting forces.

I'm guessing they will tie all the stuff from the PA books into one codex and use the codex to promote the Crusade system.

I'd say it's a solid lock to happen and that it'll likely be out in tandem with the Necrons 'dex or a week or so after.

Why? Marshal Loss beat me to one of the main reasons - GW is really pushing the Crusade hook for this new edition and they've made it clear that each army's codex will contain a bunch of new Crusade material specific to that faction. There's no way they leave the poster boys for the game without that material tailored for the new edition for very long.

The other big thing is rules support for the new units. A codex isn't simply a convenient place for all the datasheets to be found. All of those new models are going to need stratagem support - just without that, it won't feel like the army is complete and this is an army they are choosing to launch #New40K with. It would redefine the term "lost opportunity" to put out a bunch of new models alongside a new version of the game and then completely whiff on providing faction-specific rules that actually leverage those new models. And that goes beyond stratagems. There could be new relics or warlord traits specific to the new models as well.

You can decide which of those points is more persuasive - the Crusade thing for me clinches it as I just don't see GW's golden bois and spotlight faction for the new edition being left hanging when it comes to their own proprietary spin on the new Crusade hotness. But the rules support is a thing to consider with modern GW as well. The new AdMech expansion wave launched alongside Engine War and got nine stratagems specific to just four model boxes (the Manipulus didn't get one). Pretty decent chance that with all the new Marine models we know are coming (more than just what's in that "big picture" with the Hellfuries and all the character models added) GW has at least that many strats specific to this expansion wave set to go, and probably more (Engine War also contained five new strats not pertaining to the new units, for instance). I don't think they're going to wait half a year and stick a portion of them in Chapter Approved 2020.

As much as I’d love to have the codex updated so it has all the new stuff in it, it just feels bad that it’s only going to be about a year old by the time 9th is released. I just don’t think we need one as bad as other armies. I would also rather spend my money on more models for a bit before I have to get a new dex. My final issue with it is, it will put that much more time inbetween when we get a new codex with some real change in it.

Very. We've got at least 10 new Datasheets for Marines.

I’d say the odds of it happening within a year of release are fairly low. Remember they can always add new datasheets to the digital codexes and I’ve got a feeling, with them combining physical and digital codexes, they’re going to be moving (slowly) towards a model where digital is the main source of people codexes to enable them to be kept up to date and physical copies are more like collectors items.

Likely not. The reason why Warhammer 40k got a big influx of players in 7th into 8th was because Privateer Press did the same thing and torpedoed Warmachine/Hordes because of it.

Making it so that the army rules go exclusively digital will alienate a large enough amount of the playerbase that GW wouldn't do it.

I hope it's sooner than later honestly. I think they'll need to if they do a whole product release. I'd bet it's already done. They are just doing the marketing math to get maximum purchases. 

I hope it's sooner than later honestly. I think they'll need to if they do a whole product release. I'd bet it's already done. They are just doing the marketing math to get maximum purchases.

Probably. I mean aside from rules for the new models, it would just be points changes for everything else. If we’re lucky new strats and relics, but being first isn’t always the best in a new edition.

100%

It's just an issue of when. I don't imagine it will be this year.

I probably won't play the army until it drops and stick with my AdMech for the time being.

Edited by Ishagu