9th and Custodes

well PotmS has to be reworked, maybe shoot with one weapon twice like older editions, 

¿Also a point reduction? i konw 9th is going to have a point increase all around, but for just4 lass shots is way overpriced

the combination of PotmS and a decreasae in point may result on a competitive landraider, or  maybe not.

I seriously feel like I am missing something. What is this about land raiders that has changed that would make them worth taking?

Legit it was even voted one of the absolute worst units of all codex for 8th. Like top 4.

It's 4 Las cannon shots for ludicrous points.

Just because it can now fire las cannons into whatever meat shield smashes into it?

well PotmS has to be reworked, maybe shoot with one weapon twice like older editions,

¿Also a point reduction? i konw 9th is going to have a point increase all around, but for just4 lass shots is way overpriced

the combination of PotmS and a decreasae in point may result on a competitive landraider, or maybe not.

I seriously feel like I am missing something. What is this about land raiders that has changed that would make them worth taking?

Legit it was even voted one of the absolute worst units of all codex for 8th. Like top 4.

It's 4 Las cannon shots for ludicrous points.

Just because it can now fire las cannons into whatever meat shield smashes into it?

I think the combination of large transport capacity and long range weaponry will keep the Godhammer pattern Landraider unplayable for the foreseeable future. You don't want your lascannons right up close to the enemy, and at the same time you don't want your transports hanging around your deployment zone.

Next codex I'd like to see GW give Custodes access to all the varieties of Landraider (including FW). But, as with the above post, this would also probably still need a points drop.

More Landraiders for the Custodes would indeed be nice - a Crusader would be the perfect transport for the golden boys.

Right now it's basically the only real heavy weapons platform barring FW that is available to the Emperor's finest. And their only transport - in an army so focused on melee. So .Torch is absolutely right, those dual roles don't sit well with another at all. It's like the old classic tactical marine squad with a missile launcher and a flamer, by trying to do both, you don't excel at either one.

The land raider should almost be staying in points as other units goes up. Main reason is that we lose dpirit of mschine as every tank in the game get that rule. Also some of our Fw units should not be such much higher as the rest they also lose that

Depending on points, one Land Raider might be worth taking. Using the Emperor's Hand and Archeotech Munitions gives you 4 ignores cover Las cannons with roll 2 pick the highest damage. It could be solid.

I just wish they at least had an upgrade kit for it. I can't handle the aesthetic clashes with the rest of the army.

Edited by TheFinisher4Ever

Depending on points, one Land Raider might be worth taking. Using the Emperor's Hand and Archeotech Munitions gives you 4 ignores cover Las cannons with roll 2 pick the highest damage. It could be solid.

I just wish they at least had an upgrade kit for it. I can't handle the aesthetic clashes with the rest of the army.

Yeah, but consider this: The worth of all these units still depends on stratagems you buy for them. At first glance this seems to be not a problem, because 9th will handle CP differently. But: With Overwatch we already got to see that some rules and special rules might cost CP in 9th. So that "overabundance" of CP might not be that abundant after all. We've already been starved for the ressource, now we might more but also got more options to spend them to make units viable again. To me this seems foolish, I'd wish for changes in our innate special rules and stats rather than more and more strats.

Long story short: I like the idea of the LR finally being more "usable" to speak, but only with CP? Not cool. Because I might still need those for my dread/terminator bomb, a reroll here or there, to buff my axes or spears and with 9th, maybe for some rules, that have so far been free...

I don't wanna be the pessimist here, instead I hope this is not what's coming. But it could be, which is why I can't wait for 9th to drop so we can find out for sure. :)

Ha, you're right. I never had to overwatch much, I was usually the one getting overwatched to the high heavens. :D I certainly didn't mean that we would lose CP because we needed to use the Overwatch strat. I was theorising, that more standard rules might have switched to strats and therefore cost us CP. But it's just that - a theory. Overall I'm still not hot on putting all kinds of abilites into strats than innate special rules tho. :/

Today's Deathguard preview has a tiny rules trickle for us: after all charging units have gone the defending player picks who fights first not the one who's turn it is.

Not sure if this has much of a change to how we will approach combat. Maybe focusing on units that will overkill our opponents is less needed.

Not sure if its been mentioned yet, but Warden Vexillas have appeared on GW.com (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Vexilus-Praetor-and-4-Miniatures-2018). Portent of an early 9th edition release?

I think they have always been up on the site like that. Each box (Wardens and Guardians) have an entry on the site as 'Shield Captain' and 'Vexilla', I think it's just to show what can be built rather than any indication of an impending release.

I mean a dread host warden bomb with a lot of axes will be pretty slick. Odds of a 9 inch charge on 3d6 ain't terrible. With the plus one to wound higher t, they probably have a higher damage output than a smaller squad of aquilon against knights.

6 Aquilon are 498 points

9 Wardens are 513 points

With the +1 to wound:

The Wardens make 29.2 dmg

The Aquilons make 33.33 dmg

without the strat:

The Wardens make 21.6 dmg

The Aquilons make 26.6 dmg

but the aquilon have the ignore -1-2 AP strat and have better shooting. Wardens need to be cheaper same as Guardians.

I mean a dread host warden bomb with a lot of axes will be pretty slick. Odds of a 9 inch charge on 3d6 ain't terrible. With the plus one to wound higher t, they probably have a higher damage output than a smaller squad of aquilon against knights.

6 Aquilon are 498 points

9 Wardens are 513 points

With the +1 to wound:

The Wardens make 29.2 dmg

The Aquilons make 33.33 dmg

without the strat:

The Wardens make 21.6 dmg

The Aquilons make 26.6 dmg

but the aquilon have the ignore -1-2 AP strat and have better shooting. Wardens need to be cheaper same as Guardians.

I thought it would be close for some reason I thought 5 aquilon to 9 wardens and that woulda swung it but yeah I was not getting points right. Well done.