9th and Custodes

You are correct, my eyes failed me! I was looking at the wrong line, silly me.

I still think you leave vex at home at your own peril. Especially when Trajann now can make Teleport Homer free

I think you might be right on the Vexilla. I just watched the Canhammer interview with Erik Trock and he had a few good points why the Vexilla is still needed. Teleport homer is just so much better than 9" DS charge.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=679722772582287

Edited by nordsturmking

You are correct, my eyes failed me! I was looking at the wrong line, silly me.

I still think you leave vex at home at your own peril. Especially when Trajann now can make Teleport Homer free

I think you might be right on the Vexilla. I just watched the Canhammer interview with Erik Trock and he had a few good points why the Vexilla is still needed. Teleport homer is just so much better than 9" DS charge.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=679722772582287

Thanks for the link, just finished watching it. Good points about Custodes minimizing the variables in regards to DH strat. It's going to fail more often than Homer, that's for sure. You just know it's going to happen for your most important charge :D Happened to me with Fistymon trying to charge double butcher leviathan couple weeks ago. It sucked. All the other Shield Hosts, including Emissaries, might end up actually performing better.

His Allarus vs. Aquilon points I didn't like. I don't have Aquilons. :D

Considering Bolter Bikes and Salvo Launcher Bikes now both cost the same number of points, and the Salvo launcher has 'Blast', and No longer takes a penalty to moving and shooting, does anyone see a place for 1 or 2 in a bike squad? What ratio do you think would be best?

I've been toying with this question myself. So far, what I've landed on is that it's best to pick one or the other for the squad, rather than mixing and matching. The stratagem to autowound on 6s to hit is excellent for a healthy unit of bikes with hurricane bolters, to the point that a squad of 6 would have roughly the same damage output on a T7 3+sv tank as the salvo launchers (the D6 damage is swingy - you could do much more damage potentially, but you could also do much less, and on average comes out about the same). So that's something to consider too - if you can use the strat on the bikes (i.e. you don't have another unit in mind to use it on), then the hurricane bolters can be flexibly applied as anti-tank.

Ultimately (and probably unhelpfully) it depends on the context of the rest of the list - are you relying on the bikes for anti-tank, or is it just a handy option you want? Do you have enough CP to burn on making them autowound on 6s over multiple turns? Will the bikes be ok in rapid-fire range, or would you prefer to engage from a distance? What's your meta - as nordsturmking notes, we will probably see a shift to vehicles and away from hordes.

Finally......there's always magnets!

Agreed that one or the other is the best way to run the bikes. Especially because Archeotech munitions on salvo launchers gives you 2d6 drop the lowest for damage rolls. Makes them far, far more reliable.

Still going with axes for the wardens ?

Depends. If you have a big allarus unit, then it might be worth having spear wardens so that you can use each stratagem (ap for allarus, +wound for wardens).

Have 10 x Wardens, started painting them this week, 6 x Allurus and 3 x Aquilon. So, kinda have to pick a poison here. Was going to use axes on the wardens.....may have to think about this. 

Also can someone explain this to me?

Statistically axe is an auto take. Spear is garbage in the soon to be vehicle meta. Axe wounds on 3s with the new monster strat and can have its AP upped. No reason to take a spear at present besides fluff.

The 1 point of AP the spear has is outclassed by the better strength of the axe allowing it to wound most things on 3s or 2s.
With Slayers of Nightmares, at a t7 model the axe will wound on a 2+, or otherwise, you could give them +1 ap for 1cp.
With piercing strike for 1cp, you can get to a 4+ to wound on a t7 model with the spears.

Damage on both weapons and shooting profiles are the same.
Axe all the way.

New to custodes, seems folks are opting for the blade and shield load out for guardians over spears as well? I just did 9 custodes, 3 shields and 6 spears. Was thinking of doing 9 more with 6 shields and 3 spears for 9 and 9 for future flexibility?

New to custodes, seems folks are opting for the blade and shield load out for guardians over spears as well? I just did 9 custodes, 3 shields and 6 spears. Was thinking of doing 9 more with 6 shields and 3 spears for 9 and 9 for future flexibility?

Spears are underwhelming compared to survivability of shields in my opinion.

The fact that primaris now how +1 strength power swords with 2 flat damage puts a nail in my love of sword board though.

DO you think we should say o the 3 man unit of guard or we should go for bigger ones ? those dudes are pricy

I'm a pretty big fan of min sized unless you are planning on parking a hq near them. Then I guess like 5ish?

I used to do min sized, Now that we're looking at potentially only needing a patrol, I may consider going to 1 larger group 5 (2 sword, 3 spear), 1 small group of 3, or Sag Guard

So, fellow golden brothers, i am torn between two idea :

- Deepstrike a telemon with storm canon and fist

- Make him walk with two storm canon, trajann and a vexilla

Any opinion on that ?

I think, with the Telemon it's safe to let him walk. Save the free CP from Trajan for an Allarus bomb.

About the min size squads tho:

So are we done with 3x3 squads of Guardians? I mean, I love the guys and their killyness, but they are so damn expensive and we got so many toys we wanna use. I like the idea of maybe going 5 Guardians, 2 boards, 3 spears and 3 Sagittarum.

Something I'm really seeing a lot of in the new 9th batreps is the trap I fear many Custodes players will make: if you have half your army off the table and are overly dependent on 9inch charges you are in for a bad time.

The strongest lists I'm seeing have all but a single unit on the board and mostly relying on the vexilla to bring them in still. It's more reliable and safer.

Strategical reserves are utterly unnecessary for Custodes from what I can tell. While other armies might put fast units in reserve for them to jump forward onto their back field objectives while their other units are either engaging or have been wiped we will seldom need or want to use that tactic.

Well, i dunno.

Terminator get buffed really well, same for the charge with the dread host trait. Using the vexilla is nice and well more safe but it show clearly where you gonna teleport, and you depend on bringing it into a nice position turn 1, wich is not easy since...they walk.

I think i will not teleport my telemon and use him instead to slowly take over the middle of the battlefield with trajann and a vexilla to make him a bullet magnet, and on other hand deep strike allarus, a terminator vexilla and my dead host captain. My concern is, yea, that mean turn 1 you are a lot behind your opponent in term f strenght pull on the battlefield but you can totally breack him turn 2, so...

So, post FAQ, the dreadnought stratagem still halves damage (instead of reducing it by 1, like the marine version)?  

Hoping dreadnoughts are good - just picked up a contemptor (I know, not a patch on a telemon) and figure the pregame strat for an extra attack and charge rerolls, combined with damage reduction, should be a useful addition.

So, post FAQ, the dreadnought stratagem still halves damage (instead of reducing it by 1, like the marine version)?

Hoping dreadnoughts are good - just picked up a contemptor (I know, not a patch on a telemon) and figure the pregame strat for an extra attack and charge rerolls, combined with damage reduction, should be a useful addition.

I don't see an FAQ for war of the spider. Did it drop somewhere?