So the real question about this new box...

War Angel

Do we want two sets? From a fluff point of view we don’t need 2 captains or two ancients, but the LT’s will be fine. With some tweeks the chaplain and judicar could be useful to have two for much larger games. The assault intercessors will be fine to have two of, even from a competitive stance, and depending on your play style that’s probably true for the outriders, bladeguard, and eradicators.

So what do you plan on doing? One or two boxes? What’s your pros and cons for having more or less?

If they can take the veteran stratagem, I’m going to make those intercessors 1st company.

Im planning on buying one box and selling or swapping the Necrons for more Marines. Two HQs dont matter to me when I can kit bash the second one into something else, besides Templar Crusades are split into Fighting Companies so I can have a leader for one Company and the Crusade's Marshall and each with its own second in commands. In terms of crunch I will take as many beat sticks as I can, its the one thing we do well.

I want to have a whole detachment of bikes, only reason I haven't done it is because the current bikes look so old that I never bought one but the new ones are everything I wanted, big, brutal and new.

I'm planning on getting two, but that's because of my Dark Angels and other Marine project. Not sure if I'll put all the bikes in the Dark Angels and all the Assault Intercessors into the other one, but I'll figure that out when the time comes :lol:

Edited by Gederas

Ideally find a buddy that wants the Necron half. I agree doubling on the Ancient, Judicar and Chaplain is pretty much a waste and that's hoping the Bladeguard and Eradicators can be bumped to 5 models per unit. I love all the models .... heck I love the Invader and Firestrike but without points and rules we probably need to be patient before adding too heavy to the plastic-crack pile. I personally "must have" the Eradicators and Intercessors. I want the Bikes, ATV, Bladeguard and Judicar, but if they don't fill a hole in my current army .... I'll likely start a new  Crusader army ... that still wouldn't need two Ancients, Judicars (and maybe Chaplains?).

I'm probably getting a box as well for my Dark Angels. My friend is considering getting into the Necrons, so that works well for both of us. Wish it came with dice though.

I'm either going to split the box or buy the units I want on eBay (which is almost all of them except for two or three units), then for the ones that I need more of like the infantry, I'll get more on eBay or wait to see if the multi-part box is worth buying. If you get multiple boxes and end up with a bunch of extra HQ's, you should probably sell the spares or convert them. For the Vanguard box I never even built the Infiltrators, Captain, and Lieutenant, didn't want the Suppressors, and eventually ended up buying two more Eliminator multi-part boxes.

So here was the absolutely fascinating thing to me, and I realise we're B&C, so there's understandably a preference for Astartes, including me.

But during the preview, everyone in my Warhammer Store's WhatsApp said "yup, gotta start that Necron army now, but can anyone buy these Marines off me?"

This is one of those cases where I'm glad I'm in the minority.  Because I can play hardball, "Ooooh, I really want those Necrons too (I don't), and I already promised this other guy I'd split with him (also untrue)...but you're a good friend, I'll let you keep the collectible rulebooks and stuff, I'll pitch in for 30% of the boxset price."

Then at the til, to show I'm a good guy (which I'm also probably not), I'll pay for a whole THIRD of the sticker price, 33.3%, just a little bit more because I'm a mensch, and make a comment like "it's easier to calculate, don't worry about it," to show I'm the generous one here.  Make him feel like HE got the better deal.

Oh, I'm such a pushover.

But here's the takeaway, Brothers - the majority of us here will talk about the Marines.  Check your meta.  You might be surprised, as I was, people actually want the Necrons' half.

Edited by N1SB

I'm going to have trouble getting rid of the Necrons, if experience with past boxes is anything to go by.

So just one for me, since I don't need character repeats and if I want more of the actual units I'll get the multiparts when they eventually hit.

Wait & See approach for me. I loved the models that are included in the box, Necrons included. But I don't know... Bikes without special weapons, Walking CC Units, a Walking Gravis melta unit? Storm shield with Power Sword unit & HQ.... granted for Dark Angels you can replace that sword with Heavenfall blade making it a relic blade, still though, nothing jumps out of me to say wow... i really want that unit in my army.

I'd hold fire on getting 2. The Marines in particular have limited poses. Assault Intercessors only have 5 models so the other 5 are duplicates which is a problem.

Unless you're good at converting of course. Then go nuts.

I'll be getting one box, but I fully intend on buying additional Eradicators, Outruders and Veterans if the rules permit me to run them in bigger squads.

I want at least 5 man units of each of the above.

Yeah I definitely see that happening. The Bladeguard need a 5 strong unit to be a premier close combat unit.

I think then we might see Repulsors used as transports again. Turn 1, Repulsor rushes forwards guns blazing. Turn 2 the squad disembarks 3" and moves 6", then assaults 2D6.

That's 19" + average 7" reach.

I'm ever so slightly on the fence about not buying the box at all.

- I want the Outriders, but the sprue for those is clearly set up to drop into a stand-alone box.

- I'm quite probably going to just sit on the Assault Intercessors until the full kit comes out, no point putting them together just to tear them back apart later if they get other options, and the sprue for them is also clearly set up to drop into a stand-alone box.

- I want the Eradicators but I already own four more Aggressors than I've ever used, nobody would say boo if I proxied them.

- Bladeguard Veterans are a question mark.

- The Lieutenant is the only interesting character in the lot. I have two different melee Captains already, the Chaplain isn't the Gravis variant I though he was from the box image, and the Judicar isn't an HQ. And even then a melee Lt. with an invuln isn't going to make the cut on a regular basis anyway.

Yeah definitely, fast moving units with light armour will benefit from the new cover rules. I'm hoping we can have 5 Bladeguard Veterans and a character in there, provided we can run bigger units of them.

Unit sizes are quite the turn off for primaris units for me. Hopefully we see 5 man melta rifles and 5 man bladeguard squads.

Impulsors will be cool except for the bit about not charging if you hop out after moving.

It's a no brainer to get two if you want the necron stuff, its more of an issue for the marines. Sure I might use the extra Lt, but then would be stuck with extra banner guy, chaplin, captain and executioner. Well, one cpt could be chapter master, but then you would just be stuck with an extra Lt. SO-

Convert banner guy to traditional ancient.

Convert extra cpt to chapter master.

Convert executioner to chapter champion

Sell/ trade chaplin. 

Idk, thats if I end up getting two. 

What’s wrong with Primaris unit sizes? The only ones I have that I can’t take to 5 is the Eliminators ... and that would just be wrong.

MV87 is right. This Launch Box has too many characters to want to do the standard buy two with a friend and share

Edited by Dracos