Here is what I’m thinking of for my new core:

2x 5 Assault Intercessor - Impulsor with Shield Dome

Judicar

Blade guard - Impulsor with Shield Dome

Indomitus Captain

Indomitus Lieutenant

Outriders

Primaris Chaplain on Bike

Would using Intercessors with auto bolters or just regular bolt rifles not be better? You can get a TH or PF in there, make them into vets and get just as many attacks in and be more deadly.

I’m planning on using assault Intercessors with my Flesh Tearer list but I think they are subpar with ultramarines compared with other options.

Well I want to use our Primarch and some dreads - I think this type of list can utilize Guilliman well. I saw a batrep on TTT using a similar list and it totally wrecked face.

Have you got a link to the batrep? I looked but couldn't find it.

I do know that in my test games with White Scars I used the Assault Intercessors. I only found them valid once the T3 super doctrine kicked in. As Ultramarines, I'm not sure I'd use them... I mean they're good, but I almost wonder if that 15-24" kill zone isn't the best spot to be at with Ultra.

I really like the Eradicators for Ultra. I'll be testing those out tonight. It's just too bad all the Elites got hit so hard with point increases. (Some of my favourite models are in the elites.)

In a world of increased points, the Catapharactii could really have merit imho. I haven't tried them as most of my army is Primaris, but I've been very consumed with keeping objectives longer in 9th. Don't undervalue a few of these models that someone has to 'waste' a lot of effort on removing.

I'm sure Death Guard will be using their Cataphractii now. I would think the Ultra Cataphractii could become an excellent screen killer in the absence of a TFC, and a better way to 'bully' the center of the table.

It’s on YT.

I am assuming assault intercessor sergeants will get access to hammers when they are separately released .

That's where I looked and couldn't find it, hence the request for the link. Thanks in advance.

Since I can't play any games i quite like watching them!

Regarding the OP; a build that will be strong this edition will be Grav-cannon Devastators. There's almost nothing that will compete with these killing machines in a Marine list, with Ultramarines being kings in this regard thanks to our ways of getting re-rolls on units across the board.

Cataphractii for me will find a place, though likely now inside a Land Raider Crusader from time to time as well as teleporting in. They seem like a great way to push someone off of an objective then hold it for a while and score points.

Company Veterans might be mandatory for folk now for cheap character defence, though the Storm Bolters going up in points makes them difficult to make cost effective now. I need to experiment there.

Regarding the OP; a build that will be strong this edition will be Grav-cannon Devastators. There's almost nothing that will compete with these killing machines in a Marine list, with Ultramarines being kings in this regard thanks to our ways of getting re-rolls on units across the board.

Cataphractii for me will find a place, though likely now inside a Land Raider Crusader from time to time as well as teleporting in. They seem like a great way to push someone off of an objective then hold it for a while and score points.

Company Veterans might be mandatory for folk now for cheap character defence, though the Storm Bolters going up in points makes them difficult to make cost effective now. I need to experiment there.

Dev Grav drop pod is certainly looking 'good' going into 9th. I will continue to use them if I keep playing UM.... in my test games they were point for point, very efficient. It's the UM 'don't counts as moving' tactical trait that makes a difference too. 

I'm still probably going to be using scout bikes and a captain on bike with the relic storm bolter, maybe accompanied by a lieutenant with a jump pack. Drop pod devastators could / should be easy to position so that they'd benefit from bike captain's and lieutenant's auras. Maybe add a squad of outriders to better screen the captain and lieutenant.

How many UM players will invest in a few bike type characters? I know it makes sense for other chapters,  but the UM special characters are such a huge draw still. 

I know in my own games, I have trouble shifting off of Cassius, Calgar, and especially Tigurius. I know not everyone uses special characters, but UM has some of the best. It will be interesting to see how many players go for biker speed over reliable, great characters.

How many UM players will invest in a few bike type characters? I know it makes sense for other chapters, but the UM special characters are such a huge draw still.

I know in my own games, I have trouble shifting off of Cassius, Calgar, and especially Tigurius. I know not everyone uses special characters, but UM has some of the best. It will be interesting to see how many players go for biker speed over reliable, great characters.

I've had great success in 8th with the Paragon Biker build for a Captain. Storm Bolter upgraded to the Vengeance of Ultramar Relic and the Paragon of War Warlord Trait, with a close combat weapon of note.

I usually go for the Power Fist because it is hard hitting and cheap on a character, plus more realistic in my brain since he use that arm to help ride the bike!

The dude strikes with 12 shots a turn, 8 of which re-rolls to wounds against all non-vehicles, all of which benefit from the Tactical Doctrine and all of which cause an additional Mortal Wound on wound rolls of a 6.

Being able to transfer your Captain around the table with such a hard hitting potential will be crucial in 9th and I think certainly one of the most powerful builds for any Captain in the game.

Regarding Tigurius... it's hard to NOT use him! He is very effective for relatively cheap. However, a stock Librarian is only 88pts (42pts is a fairly large difference) and with characters getting killed much more easily, I suspect Tigurius will be target No. 1.

Ultimately, my ordinary Librarian is cheaper by so many points that I don't mind putting him in a more exposed position for a Smite. I'll still make use of him in many of my games.

I think Librarians in Terminator armour could be quite useful though. They can drop in with your Terminators to attack an objective, use Smite to back them up and even Veil of Time to help get them into assault the turn they Teleport. He's very survivable too.

Edited by Captain Idaho

So hang on a minute... Cataphractii could be good now?

I mean, I've always preferred the rule of cool to the newest meta hotness (I'm still buying Oldmarines even now) but Cataphractii?

They were always too slow and overcosted and fell far too easily to the ubiquitous D2 weaponry that tried to counter Primaris.

Seriously... what changed?

I got a box in the mail yesterday. Good timing, I guess?