Things are Looking Up...

They haven't said they are re-doing the supplements. Those are staying the same, I'd be surprised to see them getting released again before all the new ones drop or any other faction gets their Codex. I personally am hoping we have the codex for Necrons and Space Marines drop early October with the first set of supplements at the end and second set early November. That way we can get rolling with seeing other Codex drops to try and combat power creep this edition. We will have to wait and see what Saturday brings

Question about melta, do we know if all meltas are getting the 3+d3 damage? I've been looking at the sheets from the boxes and they have D6 damage, a little confused.

It's not clear at the moment. Some of the Devs have said that there are errors on some of the sheets from the boxes but have not specified which ones. The Melta Rifles on the Eradicators get the old melta rule (highest of 2D6 within half range). Possibly the new D6+2 is just for Multimeltas.

We will have to wait until the new codex drops before we know for sure. As with things like Stormshields, I suspect GW don't want changes applied retroactively. They would rather have 2 different versions of Stormshields temporarily than port the new rules to old units without the accompanying points changes to balance them.

My advice is not to build stuff with flexible loadouts for the next 6 weeks unless you are handy with magnets. :wink: Wait for the codex to drop and save yourself the annoyance factor. I wish I had seen the new Multimelta rules before I glued my Stormfang together. :wallbash:  Still, at least Heavy Bolters got a buff too.

Thanks everyone, I knew the Eradicators had the old melta rule but the multi melta had 2 + d6 ( Confused the damage for 3+d3) , and the GW announcement that all melta would get 2 +d6 didn't help. Ah well, I've got enough Wolf Guard and Blood Claws and Assault Intercessors to last me until Wolftime (Or until the SM codex comes).

The power almost any of our characters has now is high indeed. The key strats that explode 4's and reroll wounds make a few obnoxiously good, Ragnar comes to mind. I've just primed Ulrik and I'm half into building him a personal razorback babysitter; an extra litany and a double (read it carefully) chance of +1 to wound bubble. He's just a priest, albeit a badass one, but he can turn into a brutal dreadnoughtesque destroyer who can one shot a knight. Things looking up? Awooooooo

The unique wound buff ulrik has (slayers oath) does not wait for another phase to take effect either; use the beast slayer +1 on him as a WL trait to get it off and then it's party time. I've actually replaced bjorn with him at this stage... Only three hqs make this scheming hard indeed.

Hoo boy, looking up indeed. Just had my first game of 9th and Allfather....savage fury is no joke. I beat some nasty khorne boys at their own game...handily. The amount of exploding attacks off Touch of the wild and fury on a Twolf lord almost one shot a bloodthirster solo...

Im both so happy and angry we could have ad this for like a year now. :biggrin.:

Edited by PeteySödes

• 2 weeks later...

Watching latest Auspex Tactics vid...

Space Wolves have made up 7% of top ten tournament finishes in 9th, which is 4th overall behind marines, quinns, custodes

Does that include the objective secured era of 9th? I'm happy to see the results either way but I do think that with the volume of tournaments being down we should expect outliers.

Surprised to see Quins and Custodes in the Top 4. Interesting times....

Quinn are excellent at point denial. They can kill you and then escape to safety. This means you getting few if any primary points while attrition weakens your army. Then they strike and you have been bled dry and can't stop them so they get max primary for the final 2 turns or so and win.

Unless you are a SW...we counter their tricks pretty hard

Custodes being all obsec is a PITA to face and gives them primary point advantages as well.

Both can make excellent armies for whack a mole that 9th encourages

Edited by TiguriusX

I am think Grey Hunters will be in contention for best all-round Troop choice in the game. 18 points gets 2W T4, bolter and 3A at AP-1 in the first round of combat. That is in the Devastator Doctrine. Once you go into the Tactical or Assault Doctrines they get better!

Add to that they can ride in cheap(ish) Pods, Rhinos or Razorbacks. They can double-down on plasma or melta (or triple-down if you run 10-man including WGPL). I am tempted to say that point-for-point, Grey Hunters could be one of the strongest mid-field units in the game.