Things are Looking Up...

I really like the character upgrades. It reminds me of the consul upgrades in Age of Darkness, which I think has a much better system there than 40k had with the CP upgrades. It looks like they're adapting those ideas back in, which I think is good. Edited by WrathOfTheLion

It reminds me of 4th ed and backwards when you had (for example) Chaplains bought as a Reclusiarch or a Master of Sanctity, with stat increases for the MoS etc. Always enjoyed that.

Agreed! Really enjoying the feel this gives to the game again.

However, wondering how those upgrades will work for the Wolves and other Chapters - obviously the Chaplain & Apothecary won't work for the Wolves, just like the Master of the Forge one won't work for the Dark Angel - I'm wondering whether those restrictions will be in the book or not.

Reigning in my expectations, we may not get them. You can upgrade a Techmarine to a Master of the Forge, there is no guarantee you can do the same to an Iron Priest.

Best case scenario, we get our own versions, possibly with the Wolf Priest one combining the benefits of Chaplains and Apothecary.

Reigning in my expectations, we may not get them. You can upgrade a Techmarine to a Master of the Forge, there is no guarantee you can do the same to an Iron Priest.

Best case scenario, we get our own versions, possibly with the Wolf Priest one combining the benefits of Chaplains and Apothecary.

Wolf Priest could be real hit or miss points wise if he has to take both

Wolf Priest could be real hit or miss points wise if he has to take both

I would gladly pay both upgrades to get a 9" bubble of FNP and +2 to charge

We can have normal terminator squads now that gain wolf guard key word. They can take teleport homers to go back into reserve . I think I prefer our flexible loadouts over a limited redeploy. I just hope we get proper wolf guard in our supplement

Probably. The kit has had mixed options for years and I cannot see GW deliberately invalidating a whole lot of people's models. We have a month or two with codex Termies as a stop gap, then we get our proper codex.

Actually it may not be as long as that. I am fairly sure I remember GW saying they would do a Day 1 FAQ to paper over the biggest cracks in divergent chapters.

We can have normal terminator squads now that gain wolf guard key word. They can take teleport homers to go back into reserve . I think I prefer our flexible loadouts over a limited redeploy. I just hope we get proper wolf guard in our supplement

Probably. The kit has had mixed options for years and I cannot see GW deliberately invalidating a whole lot of people's models. We have a month or two with codex Termies as a stop gap, then we get our proper codex.

Actually it may not be as long as that. I am fairly sure I remember GW saying they would do a Day 1 FAQ to paper over the biggest cracks in divergent chapters.

We could see the SW Supplement in November or December, but I do not like the trade off, Wolf Guard terminators are notable for multi-ranged combat

My guess is they want someone able to field terminators for DA/SW with only the one book, even if suboptimal compared to a more robust datasheet in the supplement.

That or any changes are modifications/added option on top of one of the core datasheets, depending on default armament.

There's now the list of what cannot be taken:

Sternguard Veterans, Vanguard Veterans, Tactical Squad, Assault Squad, Devastator Squad and Apothecary

If they're going to the effort to reprint Long Fangs and all, I'm certain we'll see the terminator squads show back up in some form.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

They only care about ultrasmurf, not anyone others.

Like whitescars are able to run dreadnoughts these days.

Well after todays leaks, things sure as hell aren't looking up anymore brothers. Marines have been nerfed into oblivion.

Impulsors are on a 5++

Repulsors lost the shoot twice rule

Aggressors lost their double shoot AND advance and shoot without penalty

The new tanks have don't have the fly keyword... really hoping this doesn't apply to impulsors either but that has yet to be clarified.

Thunderhammers are -2AP now

We'll we do get access to a lot of things that were denied to us, like the Centurion warsuits

I think Eradicators will be brought down at some point, they're really the only new unit I would think is OP.

Bladeguard I don't think are overpowered, but definitely undercosted.

Impulsors having fly made no sense. They crush the ground beneath them, they shouldn't be able to traverse floors or do weird stuff like that.

As much as it's cool to be able to do these things, the rules for fly do not describe in any way, shape or form how repulsor vehicles move in the lore.

I wouldn't be surprised if hover vehicles in general, such as some of the Eldar tanks, lose the fly keyword. Those vehicles being able to traverse vertically was a source of nonsense in 8E, so I think they might elect to remove it from those vehicles in general.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

So SW can take Stormravens now? Flying transport stuffed with wulfen and dangling a dreadnought zooming up the board at 45”?

I really want to take Executioners. I thought they were overcosted before, but if they get fewer shots with their main weapon and can no longer pop over terrain with fly then they can stay in their garage.

With the nerf to aggressors, are they even worth taking now?

Someone mentioned this in passing but apparently Gravis gives +1 save vs 1D weapons. If true, that is a big buff in durability which would mitigate the nerf to aggressors somewhat. I think that problem with the old rules was that certain chapters like Salamanders could abuse the heck out of the Flamer variants while UMs had the ability to always count them as stationary. I think GW is trying to remove combos that make a certain unit twice as good for one chapter as anyone else.

The Space Wolf exclusion list is pretty short. We get no Apothecaries, Tactical Squads, Dev squads, Sternguard or Vanguard. Wait for our proper codex but the Stormraven party bus for Bjorn could be back on the cards. :smile.: At the very least, I might add a Thunderfire Cannon.

The +1 save for gravis against 1d weapons is a strat I think... All I see is marines getting nerfed but wolves getting boosted if we get access to character upgrades, psychic powers, relics, new units etc, I hold my horses for the get by rules, maybe there are more restrictions there...

PS: the 3++ storm shield nerf may be hard for wolves but wraiths are 4++ too so there is a pattern for GW to reduce the inv save

Edited by lonewolf81