Brother Tyler

GAME has the release date for this as 21 September, and priced at £34.99.

Unless I’m being thick I see no way of preordering on the Game website. 

It was an option yesterday, looks like they've already pre-sold their entire allocation of stock. :rolleyes:

Oh man. I was gonna order yesterday then got sidetracked. Hope they get them back in stock later on.

Space Marine Adventures: Rise of the Orks

(product contains Space Marines)

The explanation for why the product only contains Space Marines has been given. As with the Labyrinth of the Necrons game and its expansions (Recon Mission Pack and Rescue Mission Pack, both of which come with 3 new Space Marine models), the game is about the Space Marines. The players control the Space Marines against a veritable horde of enemy models (Necrons in the first game, Orks in this one). The mechanics and price point of the game don't allow for models of the enemies to be used. These games are nice lite filler games and are a great way to get unique models and bring new hobbyists into the hobby. If GW were to fill these boxes with an appropriate number of xenos models, the price would jump through the roof. It's understandable that Necron/Ork players would be disappointed at not seeing their faction represented in model form in these games, but these games aren't designed to fill that niche.

The Labyrinth of the Necrons has a 7.3 rating on the Board Game Geek, which is pretty respectable. All of the reviews I've seen have been fairly positive. This one will most likely follow similar mechanics, doubtless with some adaptations based on the change in protagonists (from power armour to TDA) and antagonists (from Necrons to Orks). Despite those changes, it's likely that this, too, will be a decent game.

For many of us, the game is of little importance. Many of us will only be interested in this game for the miniatures. In this, we're paying $40.00 (USD) for the first game for 5 unique models (except for those that can get them from the Space Marine Heroes series). If you have access to that series and don't care about the game, this isn't for you. If you are interested in the game and/or if you don't have access to the Space Marine Heroes series [and want the miniatures], this is a nice way to get some models. Compare that price point to the $55 (USD) that you would spend for 5 standard Terminators. The only downside to these is that they are monopose, but they are a great characterful addition to an existing force.

The Labyrinth of the Necrons game has been described as a sort of "Space Hulk lite" (though the Blackstone Fortress game, which is much more expensive, is a much deeper analog). The Labyrinth of the Necrons game comes with three levels that can be combined into a campaign. Each of the expansions comes with (at least) one additional level that can expand the original campaign. The Rise of the Orks game looks like it comes with a single gaming board (vice the multiple double-sided boards used in Labyrinth of the Necrons). The board isn't described (or shown) as double-sided, so it looks like there is either only a single level/mission in this game or each of the levels/missions uses the same board.

Udo0X7s2wDxK94DS.png

The models themselves are push-fit and monopose. Each comes in a different color. Although there are minor thematic cues from the Chapters they are supposed to represent, there aren't any molded details that limit these models or force conversion (such as the Terminator models in the 3rd/4th editions of Space Hulk having lots of Blood Angels design cues). These models can be painted up to fit in just about any Chapter, though they'll be lacking some of the more overt design elements (tabards/chains for the Black Templars, robes for the Dark Angels, pelts for the Space Wolves, Chapter badges for any Chapter). The bases are molded, too, and don't look like the interior of a spaceship (though one might argue that a derelict space hulk/rok might have accrued some dirt and what-not over the years). It's clear that these models are repackaged (none of us has any doubt about that since GW was up front with it in the article).

Looks like you have to sign in to the game UK website if you want to preorder. Just preordered mine so now I’m not sulking. 

Thanks for the tip, although when I went back to the website it let me pre-order as a guest without signing in, so maybe it was just a temporary issue.

Just pre-ordered mine with GAME, you can't send it to Europe unfortunately so you will need a UK address.

Taking a chance with a big box of blind bags for 60 or buying this, knowing what I get. I definitely prefer this. Oh and I get a game with it for my younger kids!

Just pre-ordered mine with GAME, you can't send it to Europe unfortunately so you will need a UK address.

Taking a chance with a big box of blind bags for 60 or buying this, knowing what I get. I definitely prefer this. Oh and I get a game with it for my younger kids!

It's surprisingly cost effective to buy the boxes from Japan; I got the SMH2 Terminators shipped over when they first came out and even after import tax it came out about the same as buying a Terminator Captain and Squad direct from GW in the UK. And at least with the Japanese boxes you know exactly which models you're getting, it's not random like the UK/EU/US releases.

fails to include a deathwing terminator cause reasons

This was the same in the PA game vs necrons.

There was no DA in the base game and they added it in one expansion.

The Chapter Composition is the same of the base PA game.

So don't worry about the lack of the DA terminator cause they will probably use DA colors in one expansion one day like they did with PA ones.

whats the lore conceit to 5 different chapters hooking up like this? deathwatch reunion? seems like an oppurtunity to make up some fun scenarios.

That's what Deathwatch Upgrade sprues are for.

Edited by RandyB

• 5 weeks later...

Barnes & Noble is one of if not THE US retailer for this box. Officially released the 24th but ships out the 21st if pre-ordered, which I did.

Gonna have me a Killteam, hopefully the game out of box is ok too.

Should’ve received this today but it got delivered to the wrong parcel depot. My mail usually goes to the Portsmouth depot but they delivered it to the Waterlooville depot which is only about 3 miles from me anyway and now it’s at the Southampton one which is 23 miles away!! Is it really that hard to deliver a package