warhead01 - Primaris Blood Angels project

Warhead01

Hey brother, great news and I'm happy for you! :biggrin.:

Your final score is really not bad considering SoBs are among the top armies out there and the fact that your list was pretty vehicle heavy, which imo works to their advantage as they can put meltas on almost unit they bring. Few bad dice always happen, so they just need to be factored in.

I'm curious to hear how do you find the Suppressors in your list? From my experience, a unit of 3 tends to be swingy. I personally had better success with 2x3 or 1x5. 

Your right about that. He had several Multimeltas and had he played them right up the center I would have been in a lot more trouble than I was. He was worried about me Gladiator and Redemptors, which I had deployed near each other. I think he thought to take them all out early, which he basically did given his move and shoot abilities. His order was very fast on the table. 

I like the suppressors for their long range. They are squishy but we do the best we can with that.  I plan in the future to leave them on one flank to shoot inward to the center or past to far targets I had briefly thought about adding 3 fire strike turrets with their autocannons and just walk them on the side for the same reason but they cost far too many points and have less movement possibilities. My new list will field 2 squads of Suppressors, just to give my idea a try. In the game I made a push up my right side turning his left flank but needed more units in that area to hold my gains which I ended up throwing away by getting too far ahead of myself. My Blade Guard were too bold and it ended badly for them. 

We've collectively been talking about the storm speeders and which ones to field and I am starting to regret not building my two as Hailstrikes. I am firmly in the camp of AP-1 and lots of shots as opposed to the high damage the other two put out which are less versatile in a more tac minded list.   Granted you nearly get two ATV's per storm speeder, it's difficult to say which is a better choice there just now as I still haven't any ATV's. (Christmas is coming? :whistling: )

My games will usually be an uphill battle against my friend he tends to run as much cheese as he can and has a habit of building his army after he see's mine. So I just have to work harder, which is fine as long as I have a decent showing.  Funny enough the few times I have faced him at tournaments over the years I fair much better against him. Gee, I wonder why... :biggrin.: 

I have to thank all of you here as well you've all been a lot of help and I appreciate the encouragement. 

Update.

My second Impulsor arrived yesterday. I've hardly gotten started on the assembly but hope to have that accomplished some time this afternoon if I have nothing else going on. 
If all works out I'll even be able to get primer on it and who knows maybe a basecoat. 

I woke very early thinking about Chainswords and how many attacks and all that kind of thing. Not the worst thoughts to have in the morning.  

Last night I managed to clip another hand flamer from some left over death company bitz I found in my bitz box. I've already set one up on an assault intercessor I'm thinking about giving this one to a Intercessor Sgt and a power fist as well, also from the Death company set. I may need to round up a few more Sgt's to have set up a few different ways. At least 1 more for sure, with a power sword. 
My Sanguniary guard project has stalled out. Just going to set that aside until I more interest in it.  
Not a lot else going on.

Pictures again after this Impulsor is finished.  
We'll I could post some terrain pictures in the near future I have several, we'll. I need to spray seal some of this terrain to protect it too. 

The slaughter continues.

"he tends to run as much cheese as he can and has a habit of building his army after he see's mine"

Oh, one of those...

That silliness can stop right now. He can bring 2 or 3 premade lists if he really feels the need, but does not get to make a list after seeing your list any more. I could beat almost anyone if I get to see their list first and get the chance to custom design mine to counter theirs and then assemble the table/terrain to suit me, not them..

My thoughts reflect those of Leonaides.

You might try to surprise him by taking a different type of list. As marines we fortunately can pull different tricks.

I would seriously consider beefing up Bladeguard squad, especially if you want to take Impulsor. A Sanguinary Priest will also make really nice things for them.

And even our shooty units can wreak havoc in melee once in assault doctrine.

Sorry for the delay, I took some time away from things for a few days. 

So, about my friend. 
I agree! I have done all of that for years. I'm not actually mad about it, it's just how he is and he can't seem to change. My most recent comments about the cheese were more pointed at the layers and layers of abilities built into the Sisters of Battle and the order he picked to play. the previous list had all that strong shooting and fast difficult to kill big models this was much more fun to play against even if it hit really hard.  I know he is, even as I type this, working on his next idea for a list he feels will be competitive at the next tournament he plans to attend. I will again gently remind him to have his list ready ahead of time. knowing that I am bringing my BA's should be enough really. 
I've just been taking 1 list and set of models just to make it easy on me, I just don't feel like dragging out my entire collection. 
Now that I've got the terrain issue more or less sorted out I definitely need to work on game play. My list was more than adequate for that last game but I will make a few adjustments. 
The big thing I need to do is learn how to play the units I take and also ...not be such a bone head. 
Looking back there were a lot of things I would have liked to do a bit differently that I had in mind for my list but it did fall apart when I started to worry too much about killing his units/models.  Still feels like I am trying too hard on the secondary objectives and might want a better third objective. I am taking table quarters and killing his units and took,?, I think it's called stranglehold. This last one requires too much work. too much time and energy clearing off objectives and holding them while maintaining my own.  But I do feel like a lot of progress has been made so far this year. 
My dice were unkind. I was rolling my B&C dice so ..beware.:teehee: 

Update.
Nearly finished with the second Impulsor still have to base it and a little this and that left to do. 
I'm thinking about adding the yellow to all my plasma weapons. I really like how you all have done that. Looks really good. 
I think I have about 15 Hell blasters left to paint, even if I never use them. 
Really wish they had a primaris unit with the Bodyguard keyword, Company veterans are very tempting to exploit that bit of rule..to frustrate my friend a bit. :biggrin.: 
Pictures of stuff in a few days.
I'll be starting my next version of my last list in a week or what ever can't get out for a game until next month.

Nice! I always liked yellow tips on barrels. Even more if they have black flames design on them as well, but I'm not teasing you :tongue.:

I like the punching-in-the-ribs pose of the sarge.

Ya, those black flames were cool. a good incentive not to paint more than two or three in total. :biggrin.: 

I had thought about giving it ago on one of the larger ones but... not today! 

Update.
Not much of and update today. I've set out 5 hellblasters to repaint from the left overs. Still have another Primaris Captain I can paint but I will need to rearm him before I do that. 
Some kind of Bolter + Power sword setup. 
Had to order another bottle of Vallejo Cavalry brown. My first one is nearly empty and what funny is I bought that as part of the Model Paints set, the big one, in maybe 2011. 

I'm trying to decide what I want to add next. but will think on that for a while first. 
Almost tempted with 3 more Blade guard vets. Not sure if I should buy the "new kit" or the previous set, the one I already have. 

Oh, I also just found I had a frame full of easy to build Reivers, all three models. So I plan to try to turn one into an LT and another into a Squad Medic for the Infiltrators and maybe I can squeeze an extra Sgt out of that for them as well. Not sure if I need one or not.  

Getting this back log dealt with is a good feeling even if I end up with a lot of extra I am not even sure I care about. When it's all said and done I think I will down size  and try to part with what ever I decide is extra. No clue what that is in this case, maybe nothing. 

Update.

Just for fun. So, we've seen that LTD Sgt previewed the other day. At first I really liked it. Later I liked it a bit less. As far as being a St goes I feel it is lacking something it needs to really look right but I am not really sure just what it's missing.
After skimming my left over Assault Intercessors, the push togethers. I found the bits.
The build may have taken about 10 to 15 minuets at most. I decided to make him just another squad guy but with a Plasma pistol.
The bulk of the work was trimming off the hand from a plasma pistol and cutting the wrist of the right hand to realign the aim of that pistol, right off the sprue it would have been canted too far to the right and looked very awkward. Lastly I rolled out a glob of green stuff and plopped it down for his rock of power under his left foot.
This is fairly close to that new Sgt. model but not exactly as good. The Sgt's army are less rigid and his legs to boots are tilted more correctly to let his feet stand flat, unlike the assault intercessor I used. But it is fairly close.
I mostly did this because someone mentioned how to them the new Sgt with decorative base reminded them of the original DOOM box art. (I do love me some DOOM though not recently. )
I see these push together Assault Intercessors all over Ebay for just around the 20.00 usd range, a bit more really but there abouts. So now this guy costs not 250+ but about 4 or 5 dollars or what ever. Again I just really liked that model and thought I bet I can do that. And you can too! :teehee:
I had wished to give him a hand flamer but I only had the two. Plasma was a strong second.

wip - new guy.

gallery_3442_16212_115250.jpg

It's not as clean as the official GW model but I feel it will pass from about 2 to 3 feet away.
Probably more to do but he's table ready, good enough for now.
Also working on 5 hell blasters, that eradicator and a Sgt.

Edited by Warhead01

• 2 weeks later...

Update.
The Hammerfall bunker is table ready now.

med_gallery_3442_16212_196664.jpg

It's ugly but it could be worse I think. I've been using the phrase table ready instead of finished on a lot of my stuff because I feel that at some point I will want to go back and revisit each unit and do more. I've been thinking about heavy oil washes but I recall that being a lot of work. I have the oil pain but need the spirits and the motivation,
Maybe next year.

I'm working on my IG project right now and making more terrain, don't yet know what's next for the Blood Angels.

• 3 weeks later...

Update.
Out for a game tomorrow. List is finally ready and packed. 
I've picked my secondaries, R.O.D., pierce the veil and behind enemy lines. (Should serve but subject to change.)
I figure all of those are something I can remember to do and keep track of while playing the mission. 

Here's the list. The transports are actually for the other detachment. 

++ Patrol Detachment -2CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels) [54 PL, 9CP, 980pts] ++

+ Configuration [10CP] +

**Chapter Selector**: Blood Angels

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)  [12CP]

Detachment Command Cost [-2CP]

+ HQ [10 PL, -1CP, 195pts] +

Lieutenants [4 PL, 75pts]
. Primaris Lieutenant [4 PL, 75pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Master-crafted auto bolt rifle

Sanguinary Priest [6 PL, -1CP, 120pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Champion of Humanity, Frag & Krak grenades, Jump Pack [1 PL, 30pts], Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP], Teeth of Terra

+ Troops [5 PL, 105pts] +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]: Bolt rifle
. 4x Intercessor [80pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
. Intercessor Sergeant [25pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Plasma pistol [5pts]

+ Elites [5 PL, 90pts] +

Reiver Squad [5 PL, 90pts]: Bolt Carbine
. 4x Reiver [72pts]: 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Special issue bolt pistol
. Reiver Sergeant [18pts]: Bolt Carbine, Combat knife, Frag & Krak grenades, Special issue bolt pistol

+ Fast Attack [6 PL, 150pts] +

Outrider Squad [6 PL, 150pts]
. 2x Outrider [100pts]: 2x Astartes Chainsword, 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 2x Twin Bolt rifle
. Outrider Sgt [50pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Twin Bolt rifle

+ Heavy Support [14 PL, 190pts] +

Eradicator Squad [14 PL, 190pts]: Melta rifle
. 2x Eradicator [90pts]: 2x Bolt pistol
. Eradicator Sgt [45pts]: Bolt pistol
. Eradicator with MM [55pts]: Bolt pistol, Multi-melta [10pts]

+ Dedicated Transport [14 PL, 250pts] +

Impulsor [7 PL, 125pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Ironhail Heavy Stubber [5pts], Ironhail Skytalon Array [10pts]

Impulsor [7 PL, 125pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Ironhail Heavy Stubber [5pts], Ironhail Skytalon Array [10pts]

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels) [49 PL, -3CP, 1,020pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems [-2CP] +

Relics of the Chapter [-2CP]: 2x Number of Extra Relics [-2CP]

+ HQ [11 PL, -1CP, 210pts] +

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [6 PL, 115pts]: 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Absolver Bolt pistol, Benediction of Fury, Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Litany of Hate, The Imperium's Sword, Twin Bolt rifle, Warlord

Primaris Librarian [5 PL, -1CP, 95pts]: 2. Unleash Rage, 3. Shield of Sanguinius, 5. Gift of Foresight, 6. Wings of Sanguinius, Bolt pistol, Force sword, Frag & Krak grenades, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP], Tome of Malcador

+ Troops [10 PL, 225pts] +

Assault Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 115pts]
. 4x Assault Intercessor [76pts]: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol
. Assault Intercessor Sgt [39pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Thunder hammer [20pts]

Assault Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 110pts]
. 4x Assault Intercessor [76pts]: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol
. Assault Intercessor Sgt [34pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Plasma pistol [5pts], Power fist [10pts]

+ Elites [9 PL, 185pts] +

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Rocket Pod [5pts], Onslaught Gatling Cannon [5pts], Redemptor Fist

+ Fast Attack [19 PL, 400pts] +

Inceptor Squad [14 PL, 300pts]: 4x Inceptor [160pts], Inceptor Sergeant [40pts], Plasma Exterminator x2 [100pts]

Suppressor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]
. 2x Suppressor: 2x Accelerator autocannon, 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Frag & Krak grenades
. Suppressor Sergeant: Accelerator autocannon, Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades

++ Total: [103 PL, 6CP, 2,000pts] ++

I believe my opponent is playing a lot of walkers in his sisters army, like as many walkers as he can squeezer in. I plan to keep my secondaries in mins move up a flank and make it happen. R.O.D. should work out ok, my revivers are ging to focus on doing that.  starting in a corner off by them selves on turn 1, leave the table but be back on turn 3 to do it again. 
Behind enemy lines should be easy enough as I plan to move out with my impulors, out riders and storm speeder with two squads of assault intercessors all together to work for the score.  I may not have to defend my Deployment zone, which should free up my other units to move hid and go for objectives. I'll just want to set up fire lanes and throw a lot of dice at his units one at a time. Well, that's the plan. Somewhere near the end I'll get choppy, but I want to spend a few turns getting ready for that so I roll in to close combat at some kind of advantage.

I'm taking my terrain and will snap as many pictures as I can for a battle report. Just trying to have a good showing, not expecting to win.

Update. 

Got out for a game yesterday.

https://warhead01.blogspot.com/2021/10/a-short-post-about-todays-game.html
Pictures and post. ^^^ 

I think I have figured out how I want my army to play now I just need to make a list that does that and learn to use it. 
Also, playing a pure Primaris army has given me new respect for first borne marines. 
Hope the post doesn't come off as too negative, I learned a lot again. My usual opponent, as usual, is getting ready for that next tournament. His list is strong enough and he attempted to help me as I requested pre game. Oddly the things in his army that cause me the most problem seem to be his many heavy bolters and multi-meltas. Damage 2 is no joke and 6 multi-meltas on those engine platforms is devastation incarnate.  (Imop.) 
Again lessons learned.

20211027_144247.jpg 20211027_123706.jpg

I'm headed back to the drawing board for my next list. The theme is once again mobility and fire power. Primaris BA's, as far as I can tell now, are not BA's and won't play like BA's in the same fashion as first borne.  Primaris are unfortunately dull, out of 5 lists I picked the one I found most interesting which happened to be the least redundant. 
A First born army with all their options would/should easily be superior. (Thoughts for another time.)

Update. 

I'm headed back to the drawing board for my next list. The theme is once again mobility and fire power. Primaris BA's, as far as I can tell now, are not BA's and won't play like BA's in the same fashion as first borne.  Primaris are unfortunately dull, out of 5 lists I picked the one I found most interesting which happened to be the least redundant. 

A First born army with all their options would/should easily be superior. (Thoughts for another time.)

For me this is like being back in 2nd edition where I started. Blood Angels (and all other codex-derived chapters, except Space Wolves) had the same rules and the only thing that made us different were a few units and some wargear cards.

So now that I 'm also making an all-primaris army, only a few stratagems, relics and chapter-specific units make BA (and DA, SW, BT etc.) differ from codex Ultramarines.

Here's a potato camera photo of my brand new Death Company...

DSC 0148

Update. 

For me this is like being back in 2nd edition where I started. Blood Angels (and all other codex-derived chapters, except Space Wolves) had the same rules and the only thing that made us different were a few units and some wargear cards.

So now that I 'm also making an all-primaris army, only a few stratagems, relics and chapter-specific units make BA (and DA, SW, BT etc.) differ from codex Ultramarines.

I feel the same. It very much reminds me of 2nd. It's a love hate thing right now, still.

Primaris is defiantly a hard road.  It's taken me something like a year to really figure out what I want from my armies, how I want to play them. Now I'm just figuring out the army list I really want to play. I do hope to build 1 that I can stay excited about and continue to take out to games. 

I found I was looking at my second unit of suppressors in my list and I  just found everything dull. Meh. 

Not to worry though I am cooking up something better but similar for next time. 

I guess part of the frustration is that I see no real point in putting upgrades on my Sgt's and they are so often just remove from the table before their upgrades even matter, so why throw points away on them.  I am going to look again but I think I may have spent 60 points in upgrades, of close to it. and that's basically another plasma inceptor for the unit. 

I was super impressed with that Sanguinary Priest with the teeth of terra, shockingly choppy. 

Back to the oll' drawing board. :sweat: 

Could be I just need to round up a few Intercessor Sgt's with standard weapons, I may have upgraded too many.  I need to have another count.

Update.

Nearly finished painting a Reiver to use as a Reiver LT.  Just a bit more to do.

I'm planning to use him as my warlord in my next list and ty to set him up to survive via stealth. I'm plotting to use 2 full squads of Reivers with the wings for deepstrike stuff. Wish I had a third squad for this list idea, Might proxy if it looks doable.
Not solid list yet.

Small picture update near the end of the weekend.

Hope to focus the new list on elites and fast attack and see how it goes. More thematic than competitive, probably.

Here's the next list I am going to fool around with. Partly inspired by watching Dune, those Sardaukar floating in from above for some fights in a few scenes got me thinking about Reivers. 
The idea I am working with is lots of deepstrike. Plan to again try R.O.D., line breaker and one of the two Psyker secondaries. 

Several units drop in to shoot and charge some run for cover until I can launch a strong charge with them, less shooting more moving. I don't expect it to e very good but i want to give t a go.
The Riever Lt. is the warlord and I am open to trading Lord of deceit for stealth adapt.

++ Outrider Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels) [47 PL, 7CP, 1,010pts] ++
+ Configuration [9CP] +
Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)  [12CP]
Detachment Command Cost [-3CP]
Gametype: Matched
+ Stratagems [-1CP] +
Relics of the Chapter [-1CP]: Number of Extra Relics [-1CP]

+ HQ [11 PL, -1CP, 210pts] +
Primaris Chaplain on Bike [6 PL, -1CP, 115pts]: 4. Mantra of Strength, Absolver Bolt pistol, Benediction of Fury, Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Litany of Hate, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP], The Imperium's Sword, Twin Bolt rifle

Primaris Librarian [5 PL, 95pts]: 2. Unleash Rage, 6. Wings of Sanguinius, Bolt pistol, Force sword, Frag & Krak grenades

+ Fast Attack [36 PL, 800pts] +
Inceptor Squad [14 PL, 300pts]: 4x Inceptor [160pts], Inceptor Sergeant [40pts], Plasma Exterminator x2 [100pts]

. 2x Outrider [100pts]: 2x Astartes Chainsword, 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 2x Twin Bolt rifle
. Outrider Sgt [50pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Twin Bolt rifle

. 2x Suppressor: 2x Accelerator autocannon, 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Frag & Krak grenades
. Suppressor Sergeant: Accelerator autocannon, Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades

++ Vanguard Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels) [48 PL, -4CP, 980pts] ++
+ Configuration [-3CP] +
Detachment Command Cost [-3CP]

+ HQ [15 PL, -1CP, 310pts] +
Lieutenants [8 PL, 155pts]
. Lieutenant in Phobos Armour [4 PL, 80pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Master-crafted occulus bolt carbine, Paired Combat Blades
. Lieutenant in Reiver Armour [4 PL, 75pts]: 2. Lord of Deceit, Combat knife, Frag & Krak grenades, Master-crafted special issue bolt pistol, Purgatorus, Warlord

Sanguinary Priest [7 PL, -1CP, 155pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Chapter Command:  Chief Apothecary [1 PL, 35pts], Frag & Krak grenades, Jump Pack [1 PL, 30pts], Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP]

+ Elites [33 PL, 670pts] +
Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Rocket Pod [5pts], Onslaught Gatling Cannon [5pts], Redemptor Fist

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Rocket Pod [5pts], Onslaught Gatling Cannon [5pts], Redemptor Fist

Reiver Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Combat knife, Reiver grav chute [10pts]
. Reiver Sergeant [18pts]: Combat knife, Frag & Krak grenades, Special issue bolt pistol

Reiver Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Combat knife, Reiver grav chute [10pts]
. Reiver Sergeant [18pts]: Combat knife, Frag & Krak grenades, Special issue bolt pistol

Reiver Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Bolt Carbine, Reiver grav chute [10pts]

++ Total: [95 PL, 3CP, 1,990pts] ++

Hope to try this out in my next game.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much of anything going on with this project right now. 
while working on my last list I started thinking again about what I don't yet have in my collection and what to get next. I'm considering another Outriders unit, would be the third one.

I also found something weird, points for a firestrike turret. Primaris list seem to build weirdly leaving odd chunks of points here and there left over to spend. This seemed weird, if I recall the firestrike turret with autto cannons is 90 points. I'd rather buy more suppressors for the fire power but couldn't drum up the points. But not really excited to buy more of them.
And finally ATV's. I'm giving them more consideration as they seem to pack more fire power than the storm speeders for close costs and I am not really enjoying the storm speeders I have built. There's not really a lot wrong with them they just haven't pulled their weight in any game between damage reduction and my rolling very low on damage dice in every game. 
I really feel like D1 AP-1 or -2 is where it's at in dealing with most everything at this point. 

Lastly for today, haven't played the next game yet. Hopefully soon though. Do plan to revisit my list and see what other changes come to mind. My usual opponent is itching for the next game. Soon I hope. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...