Emperor's Children - Hobby Progress

Haven't been able to post recently as I have a new son. 

What happened to the old one? Did you upgrade??

Congrats btw, I hope you get some uninterrupted hobby time soon and dont forget to sleep as well. 

• 2 months later...

I wish I'd made a note of how I'd lit the previous model - these photos aren't as good. I've finished a noise marine now and I'm pretty happy. I haven't painted the lenses yet, I'm going to paint a few before I decide what colour to do them.

Somebody previously mentioned the bases so I added a bit more interest on them.

50435986216_9059c1a07d_b.jpgEC_NM_001Front by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

50435295928_d3ffddca07_b.jpgEC_NM_001Side by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

50436156262_e26541b4c1_b.jpgEC_NM_001Rear by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

This looks really cool. The mesh up between khorne berzerkers and slaanesh painting style looks really cool.

Im a pure slaanesh painter and player. Ive been collecting some chaos models too.

My main army is haemonculi covens. Thats my serious mode army. But as a side project, ive been collecting a slaanesh army with angels of ecstacy theme. Its going to be a more fun-oriented army, with some daemons and maybe even a keeper of secrets in it. I know people at my club love when people do fun-oriented armies, there is absolutely no shame in creating an army that isnt strong in a competitive way, but that everyone LOVES to play against.

But with chaos, you really cant go wrong in any way :) The codices is ridiculously strong. Im running lots and lots of psykers for my army, and the painting scheme is very similar to the one you have. Except much more light pink colors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey, I've been offline for a long time due to health issues but have finally managed to complete some models. The photos are pretty bad - they honestly look better IRL. However seeing them at this resolution has shown me that I can be more expressive when shading with my oil paints. My aim is to leave these models alone for now and just get some more painted then revisit all of them as a set to make "global" adjustments. Hope you enjoy them.

I've pivoted the colour scheme slightly to more close match my rhino which I am VERY happy with. Once I've got the headlights I ordered I'll post the finished vehicle as well.

51683004494_c6e7d3d772_b.jpg1 by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

51681537167_a3745d9e0d_b.jpg2 by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

51681537227_c11f84fdc3_b.jpg3 by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

51682592578_09dc350df2_b.jpg4 by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

51682592618_b495980d5b_b.jpg5 by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

Edited by Verbal Underbelly

They are gorgeous - you should be proud.  And I don't think you should have any complaints about photo quality - they are nice and crisp.  Sorry to hear about your health difficulties, but I'm glad you could work on (and share) your minis.

Thank you both for the encouraging words, I started this thread to hold myself accountable to this project so I really want to double down and get more painted models on here.

My lenses arrived yesterday but they didn't sit well on my rhino so I'm having to pivot again; going to make my own headlamps. I know it's just a rhino but the rest of it is really well painted so I want this final detail to be perfect.

Verbal Underbelly, your work is quite impressive.

I've only used oil paints as a wash on skin and as a weathering black or burnt sienna wash on other surfaces like terrain and tanks. Based on what I see here I'll try using them as a more subtle shading technique, eg a darker blue over a medium blue.

Keep up the great work!

Yeah man, oils are really handy. I applied it in the recesses then feathered it outwards with a second, clean brush. It's a satisfying technique and you don't have to get it right first time.

I use Abteilung 502 paints; purpose made for models. Really great product and I'd recommend them for anyone wanting to try oils.

• 2 weeks later...

So it's occurred to me that this is a hobby progress blog, not a hall of honour one so I should share WIP images etc. First up is my vision for a noise marine with a blastmaster.

51737272051_2974dac932_b.jpgIMG_0113 by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

51736452507_9cac53cc18_b.jpgIMG_0112 by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

My vision for my chaos lord - this was the paint job that caused me to pivot the colour and choose to buy an airbrush. I will be stripping this guy and repainting him. He has a handcrafted thunder hammer and an archaic plasma pistol.

51737510698_54d789884b_h.jpgIMG_0110 by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

51737916679_3172f9f313_h.jpgIMG_0111 by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

This bad boy is going to be my vindicator... I played a game recently and my vindicator did a sweet 17 points of damage to Bjorn the Fell Handed after the damage reduction rule. Vindicators aren't reliable but you can't ignore them. The gun on this turret represents an esoteric sound weapon.

51737916644_fb6a92c79c_k.jpgIMG_0107 by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

My rhino has glass windows and headlights...

51737271706_2b40cf5053_k.jpgIMG_0088 by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

51738164055_e1feca0337_k.jpgIMG_0086 by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

And let's end on a little money shot. I'm a dreadfully slow painter. Or rather I don't paint often. Or both?

51738164285_4e00bc729f_k.jpgIMG_0103 by Christopher Dean, on Flickr

Looking good - especially like the "noise" vindicator - the conversion beamer (or whatever it is) turret works well as some for of esoteric noise weapon.

Also love the colour and detailing on the rhino so far - those windows look really sharp.

As for the blastmaster, good use of bits (a chaos heavy bolter with the mussel to an old necron destroyer gun?).  One thing, though, is how do you intend to model your sonic blasters?  The GW models (such as there are) have short stubby weapons for sonic blasters and long, slender weapons for blast masters... so your current model is more in line with the current sonic blaster model which could lead to some confusion depending on how you do your sonic blasters.  On the other hand, if you don't intend to use sonic blasters, I think the conversion is great. :)

Don't know if I'm sold on the posing of the hammerlord... I take it you are using the Harken model as a base?  It looks more like he's going to throw the mace than whap someone with it... unfortunately I don't have any ready suggestions how to best rectify that. 

The hand is a little high for such a long weapon, but I think cutting and re-pinning and re-gluing it would be an unreasonable task. Short of that, adjusting the angle of the hand/arm so the swing is a little "wider" would probably do it. I think the key is getting the head past the horizontal so the line of motion is more obvious.

That might be easier said than done - I'm not sure how Haarken's arm is attached.

Point taken on the swing angle of the hammer, it's mostly a monopose model and I don't have the appetite for that level of conversion. I might be able to mitigate the angle by how I angle the whole model though.

As for the sonic blasters, I'll be using bolter sized models so there'll be an obvious size difference. I wanted my blastmaster size to have parity with the other hand held heavy weapons. It's a heavy bolter without the ammo feed and the muzzle is a dark eldar jetbike engine nozzle.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Here's my spreadsheet for the scheme. This project has just been creeping along in the background for me - I'll have updates sooner rather than later.

Area Paint Stage Ratio Notes

All Mechanicus Standard Grey Base - Rattle can

Power Armour Screamer Pink Base 1 : 1  
  Warlock Purple Layer - Airbrush application - 80% model
  Warlock Purple / Squid Pink Layer 1 : 1 Airbrush application - top down
  Abteilung 502 Magenta / Paynes Grey Wash 1 : 1 Use Sansodor to thin to wash consistency and add more pigment to areas I want darker while the oil is still active. This is quicker than my original feathering concept and the finish isn't greatly different on infantry models.

Gold Trim Retributor Armour / Dryad Bark Base 1 : 1  
  Auric Armour Gold / Runefang Steel Layer -  
  Wyldwood / Contrast Medium Wash 1 : 4  
  Metallic Waxes Edge highlight   Include sponge weathering technique

Tubing / Weapons Iron Warriors Base layer 1 : 1  
  Black Templar / Contrast Medium Wash 1 : 4  
  Metallic Waxes Edge highlight   Include sponge weathering technique

Weapon Casings Rakarth Flesh then Wraithbone Base    
  Wyldwood / Contrast Medium Wash 1 : 4 Second pass on certain areas
  Abteilung 502 White Edge Highlight - Edge Highlight

Skin Rakarth Flesh Base    
  Palid Wych Flesh Layer