Good on GW! New codex printed in UK.

Master Issodon

All of the most recent paperback books, such as the paperback HH black books, have been printed in the UK has well.

Glad to see them handle hardbacks now there as well, must be much simpler.

They have had tons of problems keeping the black books in stock for hardback, at the very least the locally sourced ones they have a much faster turnaround on.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Eh, no outstanding praise from me*.  Part of me suspects GreenScorpion's right, and this is more about the shipping and current pandemic complications and logistics rather than any sort of other situation. 

*As long as it's ethically sourced, I don't care about notions of nationalism. 

I was glad to see this on the back of my new codex. I want to give praise to GW for bringing their book production back from China.

Does it actually do anything for the quality or the speed with which you get your copy, or is this just flag-waving?

That explains the price hike..

The price would be going up regardless, let's be real.

I was glad to see this on the back of my new codex. I want to give praise to GW for bringing their book production back from China.

Does it actually do anything for the quality or the speed with which you get your copy, or is this just flag-waving?

I'm guessing it's about knowing wage-slaves weren't involved in the supply chain. Plus, most people generally prefer things being sourced - including labour - closer to home. At a stretch I'm sure something could be said about green footsprint as well.

Don't worry, once this Corona thing is sorted they'll be going straight back to China I'm sure.

Edited by Lord Marshal

I'm guessing it's about knowing wage-slaves weren't involved in the supply chain.

Seeing as any situation where someone depends on their wage to survive is wage-slavery, I dare suggest UK or China is of no consequence. Especially when you add in the people working in shipping and transport (truckers being a prime example in many countries).

Edited by Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra

It benefits domestic jobs rather than a sweatshop in China. That alone is reason enough to be happy.

It benefits domestic jobs rather than a sweatshop in China. That alone is reason enough to be happy.

Not every business in China is a sweatshop. But do go on, wave the flag.

Sorry, I don't care that the ChiCom government has a little less revenue. I do care that someone in England has a job. And before you cry over the poor left out Chinese workers, most of that business is supporting the regime that represses them, not going to the workers. So damn right I'll flag wave, even though I'm not in the UK. 

I am suggesting that Games Workshop did a good thing in employing people who need jobs in the UK and taking business from a country that is run by an entity known around the world for it's current, and very easily verifiable, human rights violations. We should all be happy to support human rights and freedom yes?

Bottom line, I am happy to give credit where it's due to GW. 

Edited by Master Issodon

I don't want to get too into it, but having sourced print production internationally, China is it's own thing.  GW's reasons could be something benign, like needing to hit deadlines.  They have been putting out a torrent of content lately, and Chinese printer tend to have long production queues that are difficult to jump.  It could also be something more sticky, like international politics.  For a fun read, seek out the CGL Leviathans debacle.

Eh, no outstanding praise from me*.  Part of me suspects GreenScorpion's right, and this is more about the shipping and current pandemic complications and logistics rather than any sort of other situation. 

Question of if anything coming out of China can possibly be ethical by Western notions of quality of life.

I don't want to get too into it, but having sourced print production internationally, China is it's own thing.  GW's reasons could be something benign, like needing to hit deadlines.  They have been putting out a torrent of content lately, and Chinese printer tend to have long production queues that are difficult to jump.  It could also be something more sticky, like international politics.  For a fun read, seek out the CGL Leviathans debacle.

While it's the manager of my local GW's word, he did say that they were informed at a meeting that GW was planning to get ALL production out of China. And this meeting was before Covid hit, so....

We might start seeing more books with "Printed in the UK" on them if that was any indication.

Question of if anything coming out of China can possibly be ethical by Western notions of quality of life.

That's a major matter of world view and personal political opinion that I'm not gonna get into.  As someone who lives ~6,666km from the source of printing and has zero attachment to the UK for a bevy of reasons, lets just call the destination of the move 'moot'. 

Now, the move of production facilities could be interesting, and I do wonder about how this will affect printed product going forward.  

From what I can see, the only ones that are steering this too far into the political territory are those that are complaining about the political implications of the news. If we don't want this to become a political issue (which will result in the topic being closed), don't make it a political issue.

I'll be curious to see if the change in printing source will result in any changes in the print quality. I can recall a few books from GW that weren't of a sufficient print (binding) quality, falling apart after repeated use. Regardless of where the materials are published, I definitely don't want to see any degradation in quality. There are two other factors that matter to me - capacity (ability of the printer to produce a sufficient quantity of these to support GW's planning cycles and players' needs) and price (the cost of the printed products shouldn't rise significantly, with the perfect solution being no increase in cost). Printing quality is the most important to me, though.

For many of us, however, this is a moot issue - digital is the way to go.

Digital is the way to go yet they decided to take that horse out back with the old double barrel Tyler, with full chapter master and lieutenant buffs. The lack of a digital codex to push their new app is a big miss for me.

Nice to see manufacturing is moving to other areas but to be honest touching that topic endangers us heavily into the eye of terror (known as politics) and Moderators and even the Admins are here, so I would advice we change course before the astropaths keel over from brain pulping.

I noticed the book smelled differently from the last ones printed in China too. Different paper and ink I suppose. Anybody else notice that? Not a big deal just something silly I noticed. That's what drew my attention to the back label for the printer info.

I noticed that too, but I chalked that up to "new book smell" since it was also shrink-wrapped.

Could be related to a certain eastern nation having certain unethically sourced pressed labor, while GW scalps the crap out of the fans, they've never been ones for actual exploitation. They're one of the few companies that pays their fair share of taxes without fiddling around with Swiss banks to dodge British dues.