Good on GW! New codex printed in UK.

Master Issodon

From what I can see, the only ones that are steering this too far into the political territory are those that are complaining about the political implications of the news. If we don't want this to become a political issue (which will result in the topic being closed), don't make it a political issue.

I'll be curious to see if the change in printing source will result in any changes in the print quality. I can recall a few books from GW that weren't of a sufficient print (binding) quality, falling apart after repeated use. Regardless of where the materials are published, I definitely don't want to see any degradation in quality. There are two other factors that matter to me - capacity (ability of the printer to produce a sufficient quantity of these to support GW's planning cycles and players' needs) and price (the cost of the printed products shouldn't rise significantly, with the perfect solution being no increase in cost). Printing quality is the most important to me, though.

For many of us, however, this is a moot issue - digital is the way to go.

For those of us still predisposed to the bi-products of dead trees, print quality is definitely the main concern. Second is maintaining the look and standards of past releases. I want the next black book to look like all the rest. Ditto future LE and HBs.

Definitely bucking the trend, I wonder if the printers are in house? They seem to like to keep ownership of the production chain and keep it close. I'm sure many other companies would have outsourced miniature manufacturing oversees, glad GW didn't and show it isn't required if you have a quality product that people will pay for. Edited by Preliminary Bombardment

While it's the manager of my local GW's word, he did say that they were informed at a meeting that GW was planning to get ALL production out of China. And this meeting was before Covid hit, so....

We might start seeing more books with "Printed in the UK" on them if that was any indication.

Not to steer discussion back into politics, but before Covid the Brexit was already an issue.

Less imports could be useful for scheduling in a post transition period situation where customs might get overwhelmed with imported goods, at least for some months before things stabilize.

They could be trying to ensure things went smoother with future releases despite the changes to imports and exports.

It would make sense even if the costs are higher, because delays in releases can have higher costs, especially if the miniatures are ready, but the books are not in stock yet.

I wonder if the printers are in house?

From talking to the store staff a while ago (I know, may not be right), GW were able to print their own softbacks, but not hardbacks.  The image of the book cover in this thread says the hardback was printed by Westdale Press, who are in southern Wales. :)

One of the last hardback army books I bought had print layout errors and that was upsetting. The layout was off-center on a few pages - this resulted in a white band on the edge of other pages in the book. Book was useable but this was a quality error. Not an expert in publishing, so not sure how easy this would have been to spot. Once the book is closed, how can you tell? This was a few years back and the other three in that batch were fine. Apart from this issue, the quality has always been acceptable. I do wonder how many people have had issues like mine though. I don't feel like it was a common occurrence, regardless of the printer's location.

Supply chains have been tested by Covid in almost every industry and many companies are considering going back to some degree of vertical integration (aka doing things in-house), or at least shortening their supply chains. Sometimes even the cost of doing that is still competitive, especially if you consider the full cost (logistics costs, import duties, cost of non quality, managing the supplier).

One of the last hardback army books I bought had print layout errors and that was upsetting. The layout was off-center on a few pages - this resulted in a white band on the edge of other pages in the book. Book was useable but this was a quality error. Not an expert in publishing, so not sure how easy this would have been to spot. 

Extremely easy.  Most studios demand at least two proofs, including ones with crop and bleed marks.  Physical or Production Proofs are also usually standard practice.  But, sending a production proof across the world isn't so quick.  It may also be that your particular copy is the result of mechanical error that wasn't caught before delivery.  Those do happen, and some printers have terrible QC.

I think the Scorpion is right here, this is more likely to be Brexit related than anything else; either way its more its probably a case of profit/supply chain issues rather than labour ethics or nationalism

AFAIK all Black Library books are printed in Croydon in the South of England and have been for a long time. And Croydon...now theres a sump hive

That's nice! I've always been a proponent of native manufacture (this little island used to make basically everything on home turf after all) so this does give me a little buzz of certainly irrational happiness.

One of the last hardback army books I bought had print layout errors and that was upsetting. The layout was off-center on a few pages - this resulted in a white band on the edge of other pages in the book. Book was useable but this was a quality error. Not an expert in publishing, so not sure how easy this would have been to spot. Once the book is closed, how can you tell? This was a few years back and the other three in that batch were fine. Apart from this issue, the quality has always been acceptable. I do wonder how many people have had issues like mine though. I don't feel like it was a common occurrence, regardless of the printer's location.

Supply chains have been tested by Covid in almost every industry and many companies are considering going back to some degree of vertical integration (aka doing things in-house), or at least shortening their supply chains. Sometimes even the cost of doing that is still competitive, especially if you consider the full cost (logistics costs, import duties, cost of non quality, managing the supplier).

My LE 8th DG codex had pages that stuck together. When I tried to seperate them, it ruined the pages. One of my BA collectors edition boxes didn't have one of the sides glued on. There was definitely some QA issues going on imo. Maybe bringing it to UK means that GW can oversee the production and ensure higher QA. Would be easier to get anywhere in UK to perform random check, than going to China.

To be honest with the decline in printing in the UK, along with the change in the technology the print companies are cutting their costs and so making it more cost effective for mid sized companies like GW to print in the language region where they books are being sold.

That's nice! I've always been a proponent of native manufacture (this little island used to make basically everything on home turf after all) so this does give me a little buzz of certainly irrational happiness.

It's not irrational.  Some folks in the UK have jobs printing these books.  That's something to be celebrated.  I'm thrilled to see it, hopefully other industries follow suit.

While I get the impression some fraters have never been to China and may not know anyone there, and are possibly confusing the country with Nemendghast or Medrengard - yes, this will be about shortening supply chains. That's good for turnaround, especially with the uncertainties of brexit and coronavirus.

GW being able to print hardbacks in-house is a pretty big deal if you like hardback rulebooks and codexes, as it should mean they don't disappear after an unspecified amount of time and get replaced with sofcovers. Since that can lead to starter sets being made unavailable while the switchover happens, the likelyhood of keeping hardbacks in print bodes well for fixing an issue GW has been criticized quite a lot for. I hope they bring more printing in-house as well, so we get more reliable stocks of things like cards and gameboards (maybe they have, with the new starter sets?).

And, y'know, personally I think it's nice to see more printing jobs in Wales.

On the Chinese end, this lines up with a general trend of moving industry away from outsourced European work and towards domestic interests. Reducing Britain's outsourcing to China seems like it benefits everyone right now.

I imagine this was spurned on by Covid, and wanting to have a greater and more immediate level of control over the printing and distribution.

Undoubtedly a business in the UK is infinitely more moral than one China, by simple virtue that it isn't ultimately controlled by the party there, and because worker's rights and conditions in the UK are generally excellent and far better than those in most countries, the USA included. But enough about politics.

About the book itself, the paper and the hardback cover both feel different - and smell different - as someone else pointed out. Both the Necron and Astartes book feel nicer than 8th edition books, but this could be a choice in the way they are produced as opposed to anything to do with where there are made.

Edited by Ishagu

especially with the uncertainties of brexit and coronavirus.

Printed materials are not scheduled to have import tax starting in 2021, so maybe Brexit.  Another candidate is retaliation for the Huawei ban and Hong Kong criticism.

Ishagu are you thinking a new printers trial run is putting their best foot forward and busting out the good paper and inks? :)

Now can I buy the book digitally please..... Without getting an actual book!

They mentioned no more digital Codexes (epub3 or ibook), and currently the only way to get the code for the app is with a physical copy purchase. Maybe in the near future they will sell just codes for the app. It sucks

-][- The United Kingdom does not exist in the grim, grimy, dirty far flung future. There is only Terra and by His will alone do we all exist Fraters! -][-

... discussion of where books are printed, whilst relevant to other industries is not relevant to this forum I am afraid. Keep all off topic comments and real world politics etc there, the real world. ;)

-][- This Topic is Closed -][-

Happy Hobbying!

BCC