Possible changes in the new codex.

Gundric

Considering the venomcrawler is only available on a shared sprue with obliterators in the Chaos start collecting set I can't see it showing up for the Death Guard unless the put out a multi build kit, in which case there may be an alternate 'Nurgle' weapon loadout/armour plate and it being put in Death Guard.

Considering the venomcrawler is only available on a shared sprue with obliterators in the Chaos start collecting set I can't see it showing up for the Death Guard unless the put out a multi build kit, in which case there may be an alternate 'Nurgle' weapon loadout/armour plate and it being put in Death Guard.

that hasn't really stopped GW from allowing access to some units. DG has only 17 unique units in the codex. I miss the old 3rd CSM with the traitor legion rules and list templates/modified options.

Very nice. The 1 reduction in strength is offset by the -1T aura anyways. I like the changes. Pistol flamers went to 12". With them being 6" currently I didn't know if they would get the buff or not.

Looking at the damage these guys do, they are potentially one of the very best infantry units in close combat across all Astartes.

And we don't even know what the other possible army-wide contagions could be. Mayhaps each plague company gets a custom one for them.

+1DMG suffered in melee as the aura, or something like that would be very cool, and super scary on the deathshroud.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

I wouldn't get my hopes up that we are getting access to CSM units outside of what's already in the 8th edition codex for DG. I do hope we get our Forgeworld dreads back.

I checked the official app. The Imperial Armour section includes all(?) the Forgeworld units we hat access to in 8th. Means "Death Guard Deredeo, Contemptor, Land Raider Variants, Leviathan" etc.

I feel like without plague companies, there are more (better?) stacked "special rules" for Death Guard including the extra attack and wound. Points didn't seem to go up for Space Marines firstborn very much.

Do ya'll think we can expect factions like DG to go up an enormous amount? the change to Disgustingly Resilient aside, this stuff seems to warrant quite an increase. GW said armies of astartes variants will be small and elite. I don't believe it (yet)

Edited by Archaeinox

I feel like without plague companies, there are more (better?) stacked "special rules" for Death Guard including the extra attack and wound. Points didn't seem to go up for Space Marines firstborn very much.

Do ya'll think we can expect factions like DG to go up an enormous amount? the change to Disgustingly Resilient aside, this stuff seems to warrant quite an increase. GW said armies of astartes variants will be small and elite. I don't believe it (yet)

Obviously it's just me guessing, but yeah, everything short of the DR change has been a buff, points are going up. By a decent amount. Daemon engines are going up a fair amount for the 3+/3+. I'm excited though. I feel 10,000 year old (Chaos) space marines are less numerous but stronger than the average (loyalist) marine.

But for loyalist having army wide 2 part traits, mono bonus for free AP, and super doctrines, they are not that much more points than chaos, so hopefully we don't get priced up too much.

I'm not expecting us to rocket up too much, in all honesty.

I feel like without plague companies, there are more (better?) stacked "special rules" for Death Guard including the extra attack and wound.

Little confused by the wording - you think plague companies are going away? We already know they're sticking around. Disregard if I misread

I checked the official app. The Imperial Armour section includes all(?) the Forgeworld units we hat access to in 8th. Means "Death Guard Deredeo, Contemptor, Land Raider Variants, Leviathan" etc.

Was just comparing the Greater Blight Drone between the heretic astartes and the Death Guard and I think our version might have gotten a bit more valuable with the key words.

For example all the DG weapons are classed as plague weapons whereas the other version is reroll 1s

DG has nurgles rot.... Etc

I wouldn't get my hopes up that we are getting access to CSM units outside of what's already in the 8th edition codex for DG. I do hope we get our Forgeworld dreads back.

So we can officially use our FW dreads again?

I'm really wanting DG to come out with a final result of a flexible infantry army. Im not seeing it. I used to play DG in 3rd...all infantry with true grit and infiltrate. Sometimes 1 defiler. People laughed but they all lost. Maybe its what they've previewed vs not that is the biggest issue but not even 1 new unit as they're changing every unit, some of which were rock solid with the 9th game format...im starting to think we should get basic chaos marines first. That could test updated plague marines and help dial in the whole faction for balance and uniqueness

The secondaries will make or break this codex. We need something as good as oaths of moment. DG have a hard time with a lot of the other secondaries because we lack mobility and our obsec units have short range. If we get something Oaths-like, or a couple as good as the necron ones, we should be pretty competitive but if our secondaries are trash we will struggle even with the anti-meta nature of the new DR. Just my opinion

• 2 weeks later...

After playing with some of our new rules, I am jealous of Necrons. No longer having a FNP sucks, sure we don’t know all the rules yet, but losing so many models to their MW output make me sad. Add in they get to stand back up, I know how others playing us must of hated our DR. I do appreciate our new DR, but losing that chance to save a unit will be missed.

Onto other observations, the longer range on our flamer weapons is nice. I run 2 squads of 5 plus character support in a drill, 1 unit armed with 2 spewers the other with 2 launchers, both with 2 flails and a plasma on the champions. I try to place the drill so one of the units can flame and the other grenade and it’s been effective. Sure the flamers don’t kill as many, but no one wants to charge them.

The terrain rule has come into play in a couple games, I hope they keep the strat that adds a -2 to their charge roll.

And I hope they add in some good DG specific secondaries, I am always picking the wrong ones. Admittedly I am trying all of them, just play testing to see what is most achievable for my play style.

I also tried a Levi with 2 storm cannons and flamers, it works well, but I think adding a siege drill for melee will put it in a better spot.

I’ve also gone light on the troops, I always have 6 elite choices and lots of characters. Which I think we need the support characters, but I need more screening units to protect them while I move into position. Once I get where I need to be, DG are tough, but without the support I feel we are not that good. If our troop cost goes up too much, we won’t be in any better spot then we were in 8th.

Just my observations so far.

Looking forward to the new year and actually being able to get out codex and start building lists again

I wonder how defilers are going to be affected in the new codex the buffs to daemon engines are pretty nice so hopefully they get lots of other stuff that make them good

Edited by Plaguecaster