Possible changes in the new codex.

Gundric

Saying that something is safe to assume is not "crying wolf" or stating with certainty that (x) is gone. Assumptions can be revised as new information comes in; nobody is waving a pitchfork around or melting down their DG army in rage over a change that is a minor buff in the worst case or a massive buff in the best case. If you want to waste your time quibbling with the above in a topic titled "possible changes" when there isn't an ounce of negativity in sight, knock yourself out.

In the spirit of Nurgle's generosity and what I'm assuming is a simple misunderstanding over what "safe to assume" means in your line of work, if I'm wrong, I'll donate some dosh to an NHS charity in your name.

e: grammar

Edited by Marshal Loss

I’ll be the quibble of negativity. Saveless poxwalkers suck. T4 doesn’t matter at all, they will be pulled off the table in droves and cover won’t help either with all the ap flying around.

Tyranids can also cover the table in cheap hordes, but if they get removed when anything with bolters looks at them, it doesn’t matter. The stupid zombies could be free and they wouldn’t do anything but get set up, move once, maybe twice and then get put back in the box.

I’ll be the quibble of negativity. Saveless poxwalkers suck. T4 doesn’t matter at all, they will be pulled off the table in droves and cover won’t help either with all the ap flying around.

Tyranids can also cover the table in cheap hordes, but if they get removed when anything with bolters looks at them, it doesn’t matter. The stupid zombies could be free and they wouldn’t do anything but get set up, move once, maybe twice and then get put back in the box.

They don't have T4 hordes do they though?

I've rethought poxwalkers, if they stay fearless then i'm going 3x20 - 2 squads for taking backfield and midfield objectives, and 1 squad for screening from MW. It's not like the old poxwalkers actually lived through any firepower (the only times at trounament when mine survived was when the enemy ignored them).

As for the lack of hatefull assault - yes it's gone. GW have said that the fleshmower can get up to 12 attacks. Knowing how it's weapon works the math isn't that hard...

I don't use poxwalkers so it doesn't matter to me, but mathhammer has T3 with 5+++ beating T4 for all one damage weapons and mortal wounds. Unless they have another survival rule yet to be revealed, they are squishier now than before.

Not entirely true, mathhammer-wise T4 and no save is the same as T3 5++ vs str3. When you factor in cost then the new poxwalkers are actualy tougher than the old ones vs S3. It look like this:

To kill 70pts of poxwalkers u will need:

42 Str 3 hits for new profile, 30 hits for old profile

28 str 4 hits for new profile, 45 for old profile

21 str 5 hits for new profile, 45 for old profile

21 str 6 hit for new profile, 18 for old profile

So tougher against Str 3, weaker vs str4 and 5, but more or less the same vs str 6-7. 

What Str3 guns can we go up against?

Imperial guard infantry

Swooping hawk lasblasters

Cultist autoguns

Admech infantry guns

Grenades

+ a slew of horde infantry in close combat such as nurglings, daemonettes, horrors, GEQ infantry.

I think it's nice and fluffy that they are quite hard to kill with regular infantry weapons. Sure they will get ripped to shreds by bolters (though to wipe out 14 poxies you'll need at least 42 shots from marines - so more than 2 full intercessor squads firing at rapid fire), but I don't think they are squishy at all. And remember that they are now actually better against the premier anti -infantry gun - the heavy bolter.

I just want them to be cheap so they can hold backfield objectives whie my plague marines advance. I couldn't care less if they die.

It's not all doom and gloom you see :smile.:

Edited by Plague _Lord

I don't use poxwalkers so it doesn't matter to me, but mathhammer has T3 with 5+++ beating T4 for all one damage weapons and mortal wounds. Unless they have another survival rule yet to be revealed, they are squishier now than before.

Not entirely true, mathhammer-wise T4 and no save is the same as T3 5++ vs str3. When you factor in cost then the new poxwalkers are actualy tougher than the old ones vs S3. It look like this:

To kill 70pts of poxwalkers u will need:

42 Str 3 hits for new profile, 30 hits for old profile

28 str 4 hits for new profile, 45 for old profile

21 str 5 hits for new profile, 45 for old profile

21 str 6 hit for new profile, 18 for old profile

So tougher against Str 3, weaker vs str4 and 5, but more or less the same vs str 6-7.

What Str3 guns can we go up against?

Imperial guard infantry

Swooping hawk lasblasters

Cultist autoguns

Admech infantry guns

Grenades

+ a slew of horde infantry in close combat such as nurglings, daemonettes, horrors, GEQ infantry.

I think it's nice and fluffy that they are quite hard to kill with regular infantry weapons. Sure they will get ripped to shreds by bolters (though to wipe out 14 poxies you'll need at least 42 shots from marines - so more than 2 full intercessor squads firing at rapid fire), but I don't think they are squishy at all. And remember that they are now actually better against the premier anti -infantry gun - the heavy bolter.

I just want them to be cheap so they can hold backfield objectives whie my plague marines advance. I couldn't care less if they die.

It's not all doom and gloom you see :smile.:

At S3 it's the same, but at S4+ and any MW it's worse. I wasn't comparing it by points because even if the toughness and DR didn't change poxwalkers were due for a point drop anyways. Like I said it's not doom and gloom for me regardless. I got 40 poxwalkers (2x DI) that I'll eventually do when everything else is done. The ws+ buff is nice, but most people use them to sit on objectives and die so it's something most people won't notice.

I'm most curious what Typhus will due to them. Or what some of our other characters might if they change (plague doctor for certain).

ca08N9pcUTwoaPJH.jpg

Combined with Plague Weapons’ ability to re-roll wound rolls of 1, your Core units will have an easier time than ever inflicting a barrage of wounds that bypass the flimsy armour of the Corpse-Emperor’s teeming masses. If dishing out mortal wounds is on the cards, their peerless ability to direct artillery fire allows them to reduce the cost of the Blight Bombardment Stratagem by 1CP.

Npk9aMBUWAJLgvGg.jpg

As recipients of one of the Mantles of Corruption, Lords of Virulence are graced by the hand of Mortarion himself, the chosen son of Nurgle, and elevated above their peers to represent the lethal contagions of their spiritual grandfather’s garden. Flanked by thunderous war machines and the deadly legions of the Death Guard, few can withstand the furious torrent of their combined firepower.
Edited by Marshal Loss

Hmmmm. Can't make heads or tails of the new blight bombardment. Easy to dodge since it takes a full turn to activate. Seems like a big nerf to me?

I guess you could potentially try to get somebody to move off an objective temporarily/open up some space for a deep strike? But yeah it does feel underwhelming

With the change to blight bombardment it makes since why the Putrifier is in the new box set. Who would buy that model now? I suppose he may have new rules that still make him useful.

In the article it also stated nearby troops above master of destruction which mentions core units. Am I missing something here?

Blight Bombardment was that grenade thing, right? I lost 10 Scarab Occult terminators to whatever combo that was. AND I rolled well for saves haha

Hahaha when someone could pull it off it worked well! I'm wondering if it is going to be worked onto the putrifier's datasheet as a once per game rule or perhaps a new named strategem. Fingers crossed!

It's not what it used to be but it was an obnoxious strat when  it went off, I'm sure many of you all have the crazy things you've killed with it. This is a very interesting strat IMO, making your opponent think about their placements puts way more strain on their plans.even forcing them away from a point for a turn is huge. Forcing them off of a Primary point to make them lose points or lose models is big. With the Contagion trait reducing enemy movement too, you could build bait and trap characters to blight bombard on top.

His aura is pretty meh? -1 ap for plague weapons is nice but is made much worse by the unmodified roll of a 6. I wonder if he'll do other stuff too?

Orbital Bombardment, but for DG.

Neat enough.

It could be okay to lock up a choke-point on a map, like normal SM OB is, make moving up some aura/buff bubble combo a bit dicey. 

In both cases (SM & DG), denying a point with them is usually a non-factor.  I don't know anybody who would (Unless the unit has 3 wounds or less remaining) give much of a hoot about potential D3(Rare D6) mortals to something holding a point.  Give up a point, losing all the potential for Primary and Secondary point gains, for the threat of a few wounds? Nah, they'll pass. Heck, I'd pass, even if it had risk of killing a unit. Pro, con scales are thoroughly tilted in the direction of "Stay on the damn point".

I've used OB a couple times for fun, but any time I try to "deny a point" with it, folks don't care. Hell, a Catachan (common local opponents) squad will just take it to the face. Losing 1-3 (rarer 1-6) 6pt guardsman but holding the point still. SM players would definitely not give a hoot.  "Maybe I lose a guy or two."

Neat, but that's about it, just like OB.  I like that it's a bit more DG fluffier, auto-mortal wounding inf at least D3, than the SM OB.

in both cases, I've said it before, and say it again, for HOW MUCH it's "telegraphed" and is an investment for the casting player (giving a whole turn to react, and very CP costly) it should be D6 for the low effect, and flat 6, or 2D6 for the 7+ "big" effect.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

Meh, dud reveal. The Lord of Virulence has another and a bit better special rule I am sure. This can't be it. Blight bormbardment stat is meh, but I assumed it was going to be nerfed since it was probably too much on the strong side of balance, yet I really hope the Biologus Putrifier does something very useful as well, or the nerf will be cruel.

His aura is pretty meh? -1 ap for plague weapons is nice but is made much worse by the unmodified roll of a 6. I wonder if he'll do other stuff too?

The worst part is it's core units only. I doubt haulers, drones or PBC will have the core keyword. So it only helps on plague flamers, blight launchers and bolters if using the plague strat. Pretty lack luster if that is the case.

The worst part is it's core units only. I doubt haulers, drones or PBC will have the core keyword. So it only helps on plague flamers, blight launchers and bolters if using the plague strat. Pretty lack luster if that is the case.

Haulers and drones are confirmed to have the core keyword, the Rhinos, Preds etc definitely don't. Currently: Spawn, PBC, Defilers, poxwalkers and cultists are the main ones that are up in the air

Interesting that the Aura is <Plague Company> Core units and not Death Guard Core units.  

In WotS Plague Companies had Unique Traits/Strats/Relics but no unique inherent bonus.  The language here is similar to Necron auras which only benefit core units from the same Dynasty.  Might this be a clue that DG Plague Companies will be similar to Necron Dynasties and therefore be receiving unique inherent bonuses?

My guess is No as such a significant change would likely be deserving of a preview, and all that was previewed was the unique warlord trait, strat and relic.

Any idea about Deathshrouds? 

Any idea about Deathshrouds? 

Deathshroud are Core.

All of the Core Death Guard Infantry units – namely Plague Marines, Death Guard Possessed, Blightlord Terminators, and Deathshroud Terminators – come with this handy ability.*

* Even Myphitic Blight-haulers will be Remorseless, making a tri-lobe unit of three models a safer option than before.

AFAIK there's nothing anywhere saying Drones are Core though