Possible changes in the new codex.

Gundric

Latest article is REAL juicy lads

Mortarion has three Warlord traits (when he is your Warlord)

Poxwalkers are now T4 and hit on a 4+ as standard

Chaos Lords & Sorcerers are now T5 with DR + Contagions of Nurgle

Other Contagions from various Plague Companies: The Droning (halves enemy unit's move characteristic when it is within CR range of the Warlord at the start of the opponent's movement phase), and Nurgle's Fruit (While an enemy unit is within CR range of this unit, each time an attack is made by a friendly Mortarion's Chosen Sons model against that unit, the target does not receive the benefits of cover against that attack)

Deathshroud get a sweep attack (S+1 AP-1 D1, 2 hit rolls per attack). New Wargear, Chimes of Contagion, adds 3" to the range of their Contagions of Nurgle ability

Custom Contagion rules in Crusade

Fleshmower has been changed to do 3 hit rolls per attack (S+1, AP-2, D2)

Other Contagions from various Plague Companies: The Droning (halves enemy unit's move characteristic when it is within CR range of the Warlord at the start of the opponent's movement phase), and Nurgle's Fruit (While an enemy unit is within CR range of this unit, each time an attack is made by a friendly Mortarion's Chosen Sons model against that unit, the target does not receive the benefits of cover against that attack)

Deathshroud get a sweep attack (S+1 AP-1 D1, 2 hit rolls per attack). New Wargear, Chimes of Contagion, adds 3" to the range of their Contagions of Nurgle ability

I'm quite excited. I think after the codex comes out, everything is looking real good. I wouldn't be surprised for some point hikes in our future, but fair is fair.

On his listed warlord traits it shows revoltingly resilient. I wonder what the new version of that will be?

The Droning looks fantastic on paper, depending on how we surround units in combat they may not be able to break out. I’ve only had that happen a couple times now as I usually shred my target, but I have wrapped a second unit and that’s when they would break out.

I'm liking what I'm seeing except for the poxwalkers. They still only have a 7+ save? And our worthless DR means nothing to them because a one damage weapon will kill them easy enough. So...they just die? Seriously? They literally can't even roll unless there's a special rule for the unit they haven't released yet.

Chaos Lords & Sorcerers are now T5 with DR + Contagions of Nurgle.

How good is this though?!

I can die happy now. The most annoying factor of the 8th edition dex, gone.

I mean, in all seriousness, a lot looks good, we'll have to see the big picture. But that one tidbit alone had me smiling and laughing.

No more forgetting and having to redo rolls because EVERY OTHER INFANTRY MODEL (poxwalkers buffed with typhus and psychic power too) was T5 in the army.

[

Nobody's disputing its appeal for some new players. However, GW could have made it a better pickup for a far broader spectrum of players without compromising said appeal for newbies. On that front it is undoubtedly a swing and a miss. Not the end of the world, but it is what it is

My local store said that when 8th edition starter set was released it was so popular with the current fan base they completely sold out and it meant that where they normally recruit new players into the hobby they missed that window of hype

So look at these starter sets with that view and they might me more sense.

They are for starters who don't know any better! Lol

I'm liking what I'm seeing except for the poxwalkers. They still only have a 7+ save? And our worthless DR means nothing to them because a one damage weapon will kill them easy enough. So...they just die? Seriously? They literally can't even roll unless there's a special rule for the unit they haven't released yet.

Don't sleep on Poxwalker T increasing to T4.  Bolters wounding on 4 rather than 3s, lasguns wounding on 5s rather than 4s comes very close to statistically making up for the loss of the 5+++ DR.  Plus with the drop in points you can field 3 units of 10 for only 10 points more than the previous cost of 2 units of 10.  

If Typhus keeps his +1T aura your whole horde is now T5.  Even without a save they will chew up a significant amount of enemy fire. 

With the changes previewed multiple small units could prove to be very efficient at screening and board control.

If that’s the case we need to be wary poxwalkers turn into cultists of yesteryear and render the popular marines an inferior choice...

I agree.  If Poxwalkers retain their Mindless ability I would not be surprised if they cannot perform Actions.  That would help ensure a well balance force would require more than just a mindless horde of zombies.

I read the article and just wow ! I was surprised, expected nothing like this. This is just much better than expected really. I mean, look at Poxwalker and what you now get for the points (assuming they can still ignore morale) if they cost 5 as stated in the Munitorium Manual. Even without a save they seem worth it in many lists with those improved stats for that cost.

And Mortarion, I thought I had seen all his rule and that the only thing I didn't know was his primary Warlord trait, but guy got 4 instead of 2, one of which is some sort of much needed resilience in addition to the one you can choose. That seems very good and maybe even worth something like 490 points now that he is T 8 ?

And Deathshroud, lol. They seem super strong. The mower seems a bit ridiculously good for the points with 12 attacks that don't degrade. Chaos lord fully joins the Death Guard, as does sorcerer which I thought was permanently relegated to Legends since I could not fin it in the newest Munitorium update.

Really looking forward to the Codex now ! :happy.::yes:

Edited by Iron Sage

I'll admit. The poxwalker changes definitely have tipped the scales into their favor. I dont regret painting the last 40 I got. It sure would be cool if the Deathshrouds got the free slot option. They look great but theyre competing with a lot of more flexible options like the blightlords and buffing characters

Safe to assume that Hateful Assault is gone based on the information in this week's article as well.

Hi Marshal,

Just wondering, how did you come to that conclusion? Based on the number of attacks of the fleshmower?

Every death guard datasheet leak, including Mortarion's actual sheet from GW, has got an extra attack, and the Hateful Assault rule is missing from Mortarion's. It's a general consensus we've come to. Plague marines having 3 attacks on the charge, or 4 with two weapons is a little excessive for only being 21pts with T5 and 2W.

Safe to assume that Hateful Assault is gone based on the information in this week's article as well.

Hi Marshal,

Just wondering, how did you come to that conclusion? Based on the number of attacks of the fleshmower?

Every death guard datasheet leak, including Mortarion's actual sheet from GW, has got an extra attack, and the Hateful Assault rule is missing from Mortarion's. It's a general consensus we've come to. Plague marines having 3 attacks on the charge, or 4 with two weapons is a little excessive for only being 21pts with T5 and 2W.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm having trouble finding it on Warhammer community, but didn't a preview have plague knives in it, and they were basically plague weapon chainswords? "AKA, -1AP, additional attack with this weapon." So base 2+1 for knife.

So they always have at least 3 per plague marine.

Hi Marshal,

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm having trouble finding it on Warhammer community, but didn't a preview have plague knives in it, and they were basically plague weapon chainswords? "AKA, -1AP, additional attack with this weapon." So base 2+1 for knife.

So they always have at least 3 per plague marine.

Nope. They're -1AP now but there has been no preview showing what you described. You only get 3 attack Plague Marines if you take a pair of knives.

Shock Assault isn’t directly written on Loyalist sheets anymore either. Just wait and see.

Not directly stated sure, but it does appear on every datasheet under the "Angels of Death" heading.

• Every single DG sheet has received +1 attack
  • The only rules found + not fully spelt out on the Mortarion datasheet, Disgustingly Resilient & Contagions of Nurgle, have been previewed on WHC and their text makes no reference to other rules.
  • The Bloat Drone with Fleshmower is described as having a maximum of 12 attacks (4x3, aka no Hateful Assault)

It is possible that 1) WHC got it wrong 2) not every unit gets it 3) it's given to units without being written on their data sheet, but all available evidence points overwhelmingly to it being removed.

Edited by Marshal Loss

Neither DR or CoN alludes explicitly or implicitly to HA falling under their banner. This means at bare minimum Mortarion does not have HA, unless - as said above - it's connected to keywords or is now a detachment ability. It may well still be in there but with everything getting +1 attack I'd say probably not. Either way, it's the "possible changes in the new codex" thread, there isn't much use in telling people to wait & see when discussing the likelihood of potential changes is the entire point of the thread.

edit: anyway, no new preview today it looks like, not surprising after how chonkers yesterday's was. Hopefully tomorrow we get some more. Really keen to see what the Lord of Virulence does.

Edited by Marshal Loss