9th edition codex supplement

Karhedron

When it says you can field an all DC army in one of the previews, does that just mean a vanguard detachment with a death company HQ? Or is there a special DC detachment with specific restrictions?

Army selection didn’t change at all, you *could* flaunt a DC army before as well with a Vanguard. However you’ll be starved for CP before the game begins...

I think a character with rites of war + visage of death combo to automatically flip an objective your opponent invested in controlling is going to be one of the sleeper hits of the codex.

Probably works best on a biker Captain or bike Primaris Chaplain as they are both fast and reasonably tanky. You can easily slingshot them into your opponents' backfield Objective(s) to flip ones that they considered safe.

I think a character with rites of war + visage of death combo to automatically flip an objective your opponent invested in controlling is going to be one of the sleeper hits of the codex.

A cheaper if more suicidal way is the Phobos captain. Warlord with rites of war, fire and fade and visage of death. Would even work turn 1 if you're going second

It would definitely be viable on several character platforms depending on how the combo will fit into your list design. It is a really devastating counter to enemies who throw a tough obsec tarpit onto the central objective.

This combo could contribute to a strategy that prefers to go second, since this combo can flip an objective on the bottom of turn 1 and deny the opponent's first primary score on the top of turn 2. Also in general the opponent's army will be closer to you on the bottom of turn 1 than on the top, allowing for more first turn charges. 

Can an intercessors sergeant fire fleshrender grenades out of the Astartes grenade launcher?

I don't think so. The AGL is no longer an upgrade to a grenade attack in 9th edition. It is a weapon with its own profile. This means it does not stack with any grenade upgrade. On the plus side, a model carrying one can now fire the AGL along with its bolter.

So I'm not gonna lie brothers- I am incredibly salty that boltgun + chainsword DC are now an illegal choice.

GW has usually been pretty careful not to invalidate models you may already have built throughout the years, and it just so happens this one hit me :teehee: I put a lot of time into building and painting a set of converted DC as one of the centrepiece units in my army, so it's kind of a kick in the teeth. Just another one of a variety of circumstances that have really knocked my enthusiasm for the hobby going into 9th I suppose. The other big one is the lack of digital 'dexes, but alas, that's not a topic for this thread.

Will probably end up going back to that old idea I had a while ago about running my DC as proxy SG. Seems like those guys got a fairly decent buff, 3A is very nice, and am I right in thinking their weapons have been given some stat boosts? Or have they always been like that?

My other unit of concern is the humble Assault Terminator. Throughout 8th many people were saying they were a weak unit, overcosted and bad at doing what they're meant to do. Very disappointing to see that that will no doubt remain to be the case, since we have on the whole had our movement abilities nerfed, and none of them were exactly helping units like the Termie to begin with. Icon of the Angel remains one potential boon here, thankfully, though.

I dunno. Not sure how I feel about all this, but I suppose I'll just have to wait until Battlescribe is updated with the new stuff so I can start playing with lists.

The SG got the power weapon buffs from 9th, and moved to flat 2 damage, as if you'd used the strat from blood of baal on them, so yeah.

And 3 base attacks+2 from charging and echoes makes them absolute blenders

Also, if you did what I did and have them holding the bolters one-handed, just say they're bolt pistols.

@Vermintide

Blood Angel Assault Terminators with dual Lightning Claws might actually be pretty darn good. A squad of 5 with dual claws puts out 31 attacks (once the Assault Doctrine is activated), all with S4 AP-3 Dmg1 and, of course, +1 to wound on the charge and re-rolls for failed wounds (from lightning claws).

Combine that with their enhanced durability (2+/5++ armor, 3W per model, Sanguinary Priests that can heal up to 3W a turn and revive another entire Terminator per turn) and you have a tough and deadly unit. The only part left is mobility, or getting into combat. With a TDA Chaplain (with Icon of the Angels Relic) Deep Striking in with them, he can auto chant the +2" charge litany, meaning that they have a 7" re-rollable charge, which is pretty reliable.

Termies being bad?

3 wound heavy armour that either have great combat or decent shooting and combat, can easily be given any number of buffs including obsec or a priest rez here and there...

This edition is all about midboard control and presence, the humble terminator rocks. They complete for our elite spots and bladeguard might be many peoples choice but termies are solid as hell.

I've played 20 terminators combat squads all in deep strike and my opponents where wetting themselves knowing they could drop anywhere.

They might not be 30 CD and 30 SG strong, but that's kinda over the top tourney lists, you won't make friends in casual games with lists like that haha

Termies being bad?

3 wound heavy armour that either have great combat or decent shooting and combat, can easily be given any number of buffs including obsec or a priest rez here and there...

This edition is all about midboard control and presence, the humble terminator rocks. They complete for our elite spots and bladeguard might be many peoples choice but termies are solid as hell.

I've played 20 terminators combat squads all in deep strike and my opponents where wetting themselves knowing they could drop anywhere.

They might not be 30 CD and 30 SG strong, but that's kinda over the top tourney lists, you won't make friends in casual games with lists like that haha

I agree, their statline and raw punch and durability is crazy strong. With the way 9th plays, if I can get them on an objective, they're going to kill whoever's on it, and stay there pretty reliably. That's why I'm so keen on running them (as well as pure rule of cool, naturally.)

But that's the problem. Getting them to an objective. Deep strike is more easily screened on a smaller board, they only have 5" movement so footslogging really isn't realistic, and if you do get them in a good spot, they don't have access to much at all to help them make the charge. Hence why I mentioned Icon of the Angel- It's the only way (as far as I can tell right now, unless I've missed something) of giving them a more reliable charge.

I was just hoping perhaps for a stratagem or librarian buff to overall aid their mobility/reliability, but it seems GW is intent on having their agility be an unavoidable weakness. I have a couple of lists that lean very heavily on these guys, but it seems I'll still be saving them for the less cut-throat type of game, if Nurgle's contagion lets us out to play any time in 021.M2 :rolleyes:

Termies being bad?

I agree, their statline and raw punch and durability is crazy strong. With the way 9th plays, if I can get them on an objective, they're going to kill whoever's on it, and stay there pretty reliably. That's why I'm so keen on running them (as well as pure rule of cool, naturally.)

But that's the problem. Getting them to an objective. Deep strike is more easily screened on a smaller board, they only have 5" movement so footslogging really isn't realistic, and if you do get them in a good spot, they don't have access to much at all to help them make the charge. Hence why I mentioned Icon of the Angel- It's the only way (as far as I can tell right now, unless I've missed something) of giving them a more reliable charge.

I was just hoping perhaps for a stratagem or librarian buff to overall aid their mobility/reliability, but it seems GW is intent on having their agility be an unavoidable weakness. I have a couple of lists that lean very heavily on these guys, but it seems I'll still be saving them for the less cut-throat type of game, if Nurgle's contagion lets us out to play any time in 021.M2 :rolleyes:

Terminators only have a 5" move but in current gaming meta the only place they have to get is the center of the board for oath of moment and holding the most important ground in the game, the center. 5" move + D6+1 advance puts the terminators on a center objective turn (possibly) or turn 2 guaranteed. They don't need to make it to combat, they just need to get to where everyone needs to be (the center of the board). Combat will come to them. A squad of TH/SS Terminators with 1+ armor and 4++ invuln sitting on the center is a nasty thing. An opponent has to kill them before they can move towards the center or the terminators will eat whatever they move forward. It's not game changing or meta making but it is good.

Chapter champion is also a cheap source of rerolls. He’s a reasonable beat stick in his own right and his included combat shield can be upgraded to the Shield Eternal. He is a good candidate for footslogging with terminators.

Also, the new rules for teleport homer are really solid, and 3 wounds with a 0+ save in cover is going to preserve your 2+ even against AP2, like devastating doctrine heavy bolters or guard manticores.

Edited by Diagramdude

Chapter champion is also a cheap source of rerolls. He’s a reasonable beat stick in his own right and his included combat shield can be upgraded to the Shield Eternal. He is a good candidate for footslogging

Yes, the Chapter Champion seems to be appearing in Wolf Lists. The only downside from our POV is no deep strike so you may need to consider a pod to deliver him.

On the plus side, he can be slot-free if you take a captain and command squad. The Command squad also allow you to play some fun tricks by making your characters untargetable (not recommended for friendly games).

Chaplins

I can't get enough Chaplains, when I get my hands on the new biker Chaplain I'll likely be running two in most lists. But it has to be said, when they forget the words to their prayers a full third of the time... It's not exactly reliable.

Master of Sanctity worth the points?

librarians

Ahh, we get access to vanilla powers too now right? Veil of Time here we go, boys.

Tears up Sanguinary Discipline, sets it on fire, urinates on it, and throws it from window

Loseeeeerrrrrr!

bolters + chainswords was the obviously best choice though, making bolt pistol and chainswords totally irrellivant, it also wasn't traditionally a choice for them. I think the change is good (choose between dakka or choppa).

The bolter and chainsword has always been a gross, physical salute to the fantastic possibilities of life in the Imperium- but only for those with true grit. And the Death Company are chock full of that, man.

Master of Sanctity worth the points?

For a biker Chaplain who will be starting on the table and not coming in from Reserves? I would say probably worth it. 2 Chants on a 2+ vs 1 on a 3+ (and knowing an additional litany too) is almost as good as the buff that the Master Apothecary gets. Mantra of Strength is always great to run alongside your existing litanies as it makes him quite a beatstick in melee.

One Death Company Intercessor in a squad can have bolt rifle, bolt pistol, and a chainsword in addition to that (with the rest of the squad having just rifles and pistols)- so "bolter and chainsword" is still an option for that one guy.

I can see why regular Firstborn Death Company losing the bolter and chainsword combo is annoying though.