9th edition codex supplement

Karhedron

@xenith @L3onid4s damn. you are right about the grenades. ah well 1 CP

"Blade of Sanguinius" sorry, not Angel's Blade. Excellent secondary choice for a "purge the enemy" slot

The Forlorn Fury wording might well get an FAQ but even so, not something I'd build a list around. Fine if you go first, a handicap if you don't

The Forlorn Fury wording might well get an FAQ but even so, not something I'd build a list around. Fine if you go first, a handicap if you don't

I can see some potential with Forlorn Fury and Phobos units actually. Take a Phobos Warlord (Reiver Lt can do some fun tricks turning off ObjSec) with the Princeps of Deceit WLT and a bunch of DC in your DZ. If you get first turn, FF the DC up to support the Phobos units. If you get 2nd turn, use the WLT to pull back the Phobos units if they are in a precarious position.

I haven't checked the fine print yet but if you can get a decent handful of units up to the midfield, you could have some fun.

That's a good use of the deceit WT and obsec blockers. Using the new relic also you'd be able to turn off a whole lot of obsec across his DZ.

It's something to think about. It might be possible to build a list centred on this strategy that would be brutal if you go first yet have the support to cope if you go second

FF is after 1st turn is decided, so you can move the DC upfield or hide them somewhere. Getting out of that DZ and onto objectives is critical. Visage of Death relic also switches off ObSec

Problem is the reiver Lt has no deployment options. You could Death Co him, then use FF to get him upfield, but then his tactical precision wont affect the incursors etc, but would affect the DC. 

There's always the Rites of War trait to give your own stuff ObSec

Edited by Xenith

What might be fun is a biker captain with 

Chapter Master

TH/SS

Angel's Artifice [RELIC] +1T, +1W

Iron Resolve [TRAIT] +1W

Then either Foresight for the reroll, or Artisan for a D4 hammer. 

14" move, 1+/4++/6+++, T6, 8W, with innate self rerolls to hit, and a single free invun reroll per turn, or a D4 hammer. 

Problem is the reiver Lt has no deployment options. You could Death Co him, then use FF to get him upfield, but then his tactical precision wont affect the incursors etc, but would affect the DC.

I just plumped for the Reiver LT as the cheapest Phobos Character to take the Princeps of Deceit WLT. Possibly a different character would work better.

I just plumped for the Reiver LT as the cheapest Phobos Character to take the Princeps of Deceit WLT. Possibly a different character would work better.

Regular phobos one.

The phobos libby is also an option who brings utility, especially now. A Phobos chief libby with mind raid/tenebrous curse, tome of malcador and blood boil? That's minimum D3+1 Mortals to a model of your choice within 18" of the concealed position set up. Straight 4 mortals if you can roll 8 or more on 2d6 for a T4 model.

Edited by Xenith

The phobos libby is also an option who brings utility, especially now. A Phobos chief libby with mind raid/tenebrous curse, tome of malcador and blood boil? That's minimum D3+1 Mortals to a model of your choice within 18" of the concealed position set up. Straight 4 mortals if you can roll 8 or more on 2d6 for a T4 model.

You would need to roll a 9 or higher. It's more than double for the flat 3 mortals.

Chapter Master

TH/SS

Iron Resolve [TRAIT] +1W

14" move, 1+/4++/6+++, T6, 8W, with innate self rerolls to hit, and a single free invun reroll per turn, or a D4 hammer.

Looks good fun. I would probably go Foresight with that build since it compensates for the fact that the Captain cannot give himself rerolls anymore.

If you want Iron Resolve for tankiness then a Relic Blade might be a better option. Not quite as damaging but still pretty good with Red Thirst and you can still take AOW for MC on the Relic Blade.

Edited by Karhedron

You would need to roll a 9 or higher. It's more than double for the flat 3 mortals.

Good catch, thanks!

Looks good fun. I would probably go Foresight with that build since it compensates for the fact that the Captain cannot give himself rerolls anymore.

I think a Chapter Master can select himself for the reroll all, though. It says [CHAPTER] CORE or CHARACTER. I'd still go foresight, getting a reroll to hit is more common than the ability to reroll a save. Combine with the 3++ Vision, perhaps?

I think a Chapter Master can select himself for the reroll all, though. It says [CHAPTER] CORE or CHARACTER. I'd still go foresight, getting a reroll to hit is more common than the ability to reroll a save. Combine with the 3++ Vision, perhaps?

You might be right about the CM giving himself rerolls. Foresight is pretty good, I agree. The one-off 3++ is pretty handy. I need to read the fine print on those Visions.

except the multipart assault intercessor squad, being released alongside our codex no less, actually comes with melee weapons included. So DC Intercessors have FEWER options than their kits would allow. I have exactly the same issue with the dumb rules for veteran intercessors. The fact you cant mix and match between ccw and bolters is annoying as well as they very clearly suggest mixing and matching regular and assault ones already.

I'm expecing a day one errata on that. 

Hmmm, perhaps GW will release a 10-man squad box at some point with both CC and shooty options?

The Battlefield Supremacy secondary is a massive, massive win for us. You score it at the end of your turn and you only need one BA unit in the enemy DZ if you clear out all enemies in your own DZ during your turn. Does anyone know if your unit has to be wholly within or just within to count as the unit being "in" the enemy DZ?

The Battlefield Supremacy secondary is a massive, massive win for us. You score it at the end of your turn and you only need one BA unit in the enemy DZ if you clear out all enemies in your own DZ during your turn. Does anyone know if your unit has to be wholly within or just within to count as the unit being "in" the enemy DZ?

It's wholly within for the other secondaries of that category, but it doesn't specify for this one. Linebreaker might be a safer bet, more so against aggressive armies

Linebreaker is potentially safer if the enemy is going to be flooding into your deployment zone, but you can score 4 points with the Relentless Assault secondary with just one unit if you keep your own DZ clear, such as on the top of turn 1. Also, it forces your opponent to commit to throwing units forward.

As long as you can control your own DZ and kill any trespassers during your turn, you only need to commit one unit to the enemy zone to score rather than two. That frees up more of your units to focus on the mid board while sending a single unit into their deployment zone per turn, which combos well with Deploy Scramblers. It also allows you to concentrate your forces more than you would if you took Engage On All Fronts.

If the BA choose Linebreaker, from the opponent's point of view simply defending their own deployment zone will force 2 units a turn to come into the meat grinder. With Relentless Assault, if the opponent doesn't make a strong effort towards getting his own units across the table then the BA can send in single sacrificial units three times for 12 points or four times for max points. 

Either way, it's a really competitive secondary to have access to that fits the BA playstyle and will often pay out 12-15 primaries. 

Chapter Master

TH/SS

Iron Resolve [TRAIT] +1W

Id take Imperium's Sword over the +1 - but wow, is this tanky! 

Anyone have a guess as to how the new Unleash Rage would interact with the Genewrought Might stratagem? Genewrought makes Primaris unmodified 6's to hit automatically hit and wound, and the Unleash Rage makes unmodified 6's cause an additional hit. Would those additional hits pass through to automatic wounds from the Genewrought stratagem?

Anyone have a guess as to how the new Unleash Rage would interact with the Genewrought Might stratagem? Genewrought makes Primaris unmodified 6's to hit automatically hit and wound, and the Unleash Rage makes unmodified 6's cause an additional hit. Would those additional hits pass through to automatic wounds from the Genewrought stratagem?

No.

This came up with Imperial Fist Infiltrators earlier, the extra hits don't automatically wound, as the extra hits don't have a value, they arent a 6, they are just successful.

Just realised, with the combination of UWoF and the Death from Above stratagem, you can score the 2 points multiple times continuously instead of only up to turn 3. Which means either delaying a lot of resources to make sure that you clap your opponent’s units out of DS, or having the bodies on the table to score objectives. Interesting.

Death from above seems like a little bit of a trap though.  You need to kill a unit EVERY turn to get a max of only 10, unless its a character, in which case you can get more. 

I dont think this is a good option

I can’t read the leaks on my phone, so I’m just reacting to the official stuff and what others have posted here.

Random thoughts:

-I think what burns about the changes to Descent of Angels is that insane deep striking/charges from orbit is kind of Blood Angels’ thing...yet now EC and others can not only do what we could, but can do it better. <sigh>

-thinking about potential synergy of Sanguinor HI from orbit and popping the Sacrifice Strat...does that mean that you can spoil an enemy’s perfect charge?

-I’m excited about the design space of the different Death Visions...but will have to see how they play out, You can only use 1 per turn per character, unless you use that Strategem, is that correct?