9th edition codex supplement

Karhedron

It’s nice to have, but I don’t think it’s *that* amazing. If I haven’t got my maths wrong, with 5 assault intercessors charging into MEQ, it increases the number of unsaved wounds from ~7.7 to ~8.2 which is a ~6% boost. Of course if it was much more than that it would be OP as hell :wink:

its an army wide buff. Also i dont think assault intercessors are the best unit to judge efficacy....how about the huge amount of attacks from DC, outriders, Marines with no AP and other options that have stuff like dual claws. You get your shooting phase, your attack phase and possibly your opponents attack phase. There's strats that give this to just one unit for one phase....for 1 cp

Flesh Tearers got this strat as part of their army trait in 8th and those players weren't over the moon excited for this. It's solid but not amazing. 

It also only triggers on turn three so you have to survive 2-3 turns to capitalize on that. By turn 3, you're pretty tapped out unless you held back your assault which should DEFINITELY not be your main tactic in this current environment.

It's solid, just not amazing.

I'm not a huge fan of GW presenting existing rules as part of their sneak previews. 

From what I saw, the DC rules noted are identical to those in the PDF at the moment.  To me it feels like your mom sending you a 3month old meme or viral vid on the family group chat saying "OMG!! THIS IS SOOOO FUNNY!" And you're like... "hehe. yeh:whistling: "

Artisans is great and believe this or not, the take another relic as a WLT is actually legitimately what I had thought about for that WLT!!!! So, thats a weird  bit of synchronicity in my mind. 

Red Rampage is covered already - not bad, not great.  Oversold. 

Reroll charges in 6" is fair.

Magna grapple is rad!  

Hope this is the tip of the iceberg.  But, after the Wolves got neutered - or rather shaved down?  I'm a little antsy until then.  

It doesn’t sound like it. Selling crusade cards in a deck would be a bit “meh” as you’d only get value out of them for a niche part of the game which isn’t as big as matched play. I suppose they’ll have a similar effect to Sagas because that’s all we could relate this to at the moment, however this whole card business is new. Could be anything.

I retired from blood angels but I'm actually pumped for BA players. Because blood of baal came out during iron hands leviathan and raptors centurions era...then Papa Nurgle blessed us with COVID-19. BA never got to really shine

MOD EDIT:  Keep it tidy with that type of commentary, please. This isn't Reddit. 

Edited by Morticon

I was really interested in those Death Visions. They could mean an entirely new mechanic for us, but as GW did not hint anything more about it in the preview, I kinda had my hopes toned down quite a bit.

New Red Rampage - okaey'ish I guess. Not sure if I will be using it all that much. Paying CPs and counting on rolling 6s to get an AP point? OK, I could play it for fun's sake, which is good enough I gues :P

Not a fan of the Magna Grapple - even more situational than it was before. I don't see that many instances of vehicles trying to run away and loos a round of shooting in many cases, if they can shoot a tasty T7 target right in front of them.

New Red Rampage - okaey'ish I guess. Not sure if I will be using it all that much. Paying CPs and counting on rolling 6s to get an AP point? OK, I could play it for fun's sake, which is good enough I gues :tongue.:

Not exciting but it is army wide. If you have multiple squads in combat on T3 (not entirely improbable) then spending 1CP to fish for 6s across the board is likely to give some returns against armies not packing an Invuln. It is situational and not something you would build around or use regularly but it will be handy to have.

My only slight concern is that we will lose out on stronger and more distinctive strats as a result. Will we get some equivalent of DOA back?

Not a fan of the Magna Grapple - even more situational than it was before. I don't see that many instances of vehicles trying to run away and loos a round of shooting in many cases, if they can shoot a tasty T7 target right in front of them.

I agree. It's also competing with the smoke launcher option. Would take -1 to hit any day. Even if you have multiple units that could pop smoke it's not really worth it.

Isn't it the same as the SW "Go for the Throat" stratagem but 1CP cheaper?

yes

New Red Rampage is identical to a 2cp White Scars stratagem called The Eternal Hunt. Every chapter except BT get a super doctrine+ stratagem with similar effect, eg the IF had a extra ap on 6s with heavy weapons one.

The supplement shouldn't massively change things compared to the index. Looking at what the Space Wolves got we should see:

- A new set of psychic powers.

- A selection of warlord traits.

- A page of relics and a page of special issue wargear.

- A couple of pages of stratagems.

- A bunch of Crusade rules.

The psychic powers will be one of the biggest things as they could determine whether Mephiston and co. are competitive or not for the next couple of years. Warlord traits should give a nice bit of added customisation for our non-named characters.

Relics and wargear are likely to be the most minor change as we already have 2 pages of those in the index. It'll depend on how many stay the same and how many get replaced.

Stratagems should be the biggest change overall as we currently only have a tiny handful in the index. Getting 2 pages of these should open up new options we don't currently have and - hopefully - restore some of our favourites from 8th. Depending on the full list this is likely to have a big influence on how certain units play.

Other than that I don't expect units to change vs the index datasheets, or at least minor adaptations if they do. I expect the supplement was finalised for print at the same time the index was printed so further changes would be a surprise to me - the exception being anything put into the supplement that wasn't already released to the public at the time of the index and purposely left out there to not give things away.

So overall I'm not expecting a big overhaul over our current situation, but looking forward to seeing how our options expand with new psychic powers, extra stratagems and warlord traits. Then keeping my fingers crossed that some of my favourite powers/strats from 8th return amongst anything new.

We then might get a smaller selection of unique stuff for Flesh Tearers.

Edited by Thoridon

Artisans is great and believe this or not, the take another relic as a WLT is actually legitimately what I had thought about for that WLT!!!! So, thats a weird  bit of synchronicity in my mind.

I am really looking forward to be able to put both offensive and defensive wargear on my Sanguinary Priest whilst still leaving space for the Selfless Healer WLT. Something like this should be pretty good:

Selfless Healer WLT (Warlord so he can buff the Sanguinary Guard).

Teeth of Terra Relic (Pretty much the only decent melee weapon open to the SP but it is a good one. 7A, S5, Ap-2, 2D with Red Thirst on top. Should lay down plenty of hurt)

Artisan of War, Artificer Armour (use the extra WLT to get him a 2+/5++ save because otherwise the SP is just a bit squishy)

- A new set of psychic powers.

- A selection of warlord traits.

- A page of relics and a page of special issue wargear.

- A couple of pages of stratagems.

- A bunch of Crusade rules.

We should also be getting a set of secondary objectives, which if there's even a single good one, could really set us apart from other factions. We'll be able to take one of ours, one from the base codex, probably Oaths of Moment, and then an easy one from the base set. Most other factions, including vanilla chapters without a revamped supplement, are forced to pick two from base set of secondaries. If we get an easy one in our book we could have a real advantage scoring wise. Edited by Hintzy

We should also be getting a set of secondary objectives, which if there's even a single good one, could really set us apart from other factions. We'll be able to take one of ours, one from the base codex, probably Oaths of Moment, and then an easy one from the base set. Most other factions, including vanilla chapters without a revamped supplement, are forced to pick two from base set of secondaries. If we get an easy one in our book we could have a real advantage scoring wise.

That is very true, I forgot to list unique secondaries. They could certainly be advantageous to us :)

We should also be getting a set of secondary objectives, which if there's even a single good one, could really set us apart from other factions. 

unique secondaries. 

"Red thirst - The Scions of Sanguinius are energised by drinking the vitae of their enemies -  Score 2CP if an enemy within engagement range of a BLOOD ANGELS unit is destroyed by Combat Attraition this turn."

Imagine. 

I also imagine there will be some kind of heroic sacrifice secondary  - this fits in with the old maelstrom cards where you gained VP if you lost a BA character that turn. Like a reverse WWS,WF. 

I didnt see any mention of Jump Packs in the preview, is it possible theyre holding back a reveal closer to December 5th or am I just swooning over the good old days?? 

Looks like my First Born marines arnt retiring yet

Stores already have their order forms, so no new kits. Just the 5-man Intercessor squad with an upgrade sprue (at no discount).

I still hold my breath for Red Thirst/Fury within trait changes...

I could see the black rage limitation on falling back preventing shenanigans, if (fingers crossed) there's some charge after falling back strat or something. The limitation on performing actions is also a serious consideration in army construction. 

Very excited for pre-order saturday (though I wish it was earlier so I could spend the long american holiday weekend building, painting, and theory crafting on the forums).

Hoping for new artwork. A separate codex supplement is always bittersweet, it costs more but gives the army individuality and front page headlines for a day.

My bits box is still fully stocked, waiting to convert up some sanguinary guard depending on the rules I see in there (just watch some new models come out in a warzone supplement 6 months from now). Will it be fists? Encarmine Axes? 

second one is up https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/11/24/the-blood-angels-on-crusade-will-you-fight-the-black-rage-or-embrace-it/ , fluffy but also kinda put's us at a disadvantage, we have to either loose units to the death company (unable to earn XP but gaining no battle scars) or burn RP which may lead to other factions jumping ahead adding unit's while we use RP to keep what we have.

some interesting ideas there at least - crusade seems to be where all the armies will really feel right these days.

Agree that the flaw is a pretty hefty negative in crusade for us, and honestly seems a bit too likely to happen. But hey, it is what it is :D

Those relics you can get in crusade are amazing. Like that sword is pretty crazy and the biggest one was they said we can wield Rals sword!

Also Angels sacrifice is a pretty cool stratagem if it gets rolled into normal 40k.

Also I’m liking those rules for the flaw, reminds me of the 3rd edition (or was it 4th edition?) rule where you randomly rolled for your death company. It mentions bikers can get it so I’m wondering if we’ll be able to have death company bikers?