9th edition codex supplement

Karhedron

Yeah, you don't get to make the opponent not attack

You just have a ~40% chance (you have to win, not tie) to deal the mortals, which wouldn't be bad on a character that isnt likely to cause much damage.

But then the question, why did you take a DC Lieutenant?

I almost see it being useful in crusade, as if any of your characters fall they become a lieutenant.

I still love how screwed a black legion unit is when we get to charge them. Serves them right for all the troubles they've given us I say!

How are people feeling about death company? Despite the completely strange wording they have on intercessors, I'm half tempted to run 10 with chainswords just to forlorn them as a distraction missile. They're fairly tough too with a little help from stratagems. I'm still not sure about fitting them in while we have vanguard, bladeguard and sanguinary guard (I just realized how many units with the word guard we have :D). 

Im *assuming* the weird weapons will get Errata'ed when the AI kit comes out.

Here's hoping anyway.

You could do worse, but I think firstborn DC with more varied weapon choices and jump packs will be better served.

That 12" movement pre-game is worth so much more than 6".

You do lose transhuman phys, but I'd say its worth it.

However, 9 and a character in a repulsor in an armor list is something I've thought about.

Make sure it isnt the only big armor threat, and throw shield/psychic fortress on it, and you have a very nasty turn 2 or 3 unit.

Throw a libby dread, some venerables, and maybe some impulsors with intercessors and you'll have a very tough army that the opponent probably won't be able to dedicate firepower to killing the repulsor first.

I pre-ordered the collectors edition. I'll do the same for DA. I had both of the 8th edition collector edition codexes.

However .....

Color me unimpressed by what I'm seeing so far for us in 9th edition. I don't have a warm fuzzy for what we're about to get.

I like it, but I’m not a competitive player (I tend to be a more thematic one with fluff run campaigns) so this is great for me.

The Crusade rules reminds me of third edition roll for each unit for death company stuff.

It looks like I have a few units that can no longer be used:

-Razorbacks with lascannon and twin plasmaguns (I have two..)

-Apotechary with Jump Pack (by definition the sanguinary priest has a chalice and apotechary does not, hence old JP apotecharies without chalice are not strictly speaking usable)

-Old Mephiston (kind of - weird that there are still Tycho rules even though this guy never saw the Primaris marines)

Overall, I like the rules I'm seeing but I don't like the bloat in special rules and the unclarity between using them with the SM codex.

I think they’ve swapped Black Rage and Red Thirst around in the crusade rules, which is a bit concerning. Blood Angels feel the red thirst rising in times of bloodshed, not the black rage mostly. The rage is a happenstance that mostly occurs on the eve of battle, when the brothers direct their thoughts and prayers (sending thoughts and prayers!) to their Primarch’s death...

Possible spoilers.

I’ve read bits in the Dante books that he experiences some form of death visions during a fight, thinking that he’s Sanguinius, so I guess that’s where they got it from. That is definitely a retcon though and quite recent.

I think the most disappointing thing about this supplement is that we are the only melee SM chapter without access to advance and charge (zero instances), fall back and charge (besides gleaming pinions on one character, and Sanguinor, another character), or even fall back and shoot now that we lost upon wings of fire being the same turn redeploy. Our niche to make up for this was the almost guaranteed deepstrike charges, which to be fair was probably a little too strong. But now we lost that as well, and didn't get any way to increase our mobility/flexibility.

It feels like we are paying for the sins of 8th edition 3x smash captain soup, forcing GW to change the rules to nerf BA captains teleporting and assassinating everything.

-Apotechary with Jump Pack (by definition the sanguinary priest has a chalice and apotechary does not, hence old JP apotecharies without chalice are not strictly speaking usable)

I still use my JP APothecary model to represent a Sanguinary Priest. It doesn't really matter that he doesn't have the chalice since it is not an optional piece of wargear. The SP comes with a chalice automatically so as long as your opponent knows it is an SP, he knows the chalice is there, even if it is not represented in model form since you can't take an SP without one.

Having said that, I am putting together a new SP model for 9th edition. :wink:

Color me unimpressed by what I'm seeing so far for us in 9th edition. I don't have a warm fuzzy for what we're about to get.

After the shock of losing Captain Smash and DOA, I am cautiously warming to the new Codex. Yes we have lost a couple of our powerful "signature moves" but I think the power is now spread more fairly through the codex. Units like Sanguinary Guard and Death Company are both powerful and mobile. Our Blade Guard Vets with Red Thirst are particularly effective.

I am sure there is some fun to be had abusing Sacrifice of Angels and Armour Indomitus.

So, hammer of baal, adamantine mantle captain vs master crafted relic blade armor indomitus captain?

I think either a combi or inferno pistol is the best accompanying weapon, for both, as I dont think SS are worth it for captains anymore, as paying 10 pts for a 2+ armor and giving up a weapon doesn't feel worth it when 9/10 captains die to stuff with AP to spare.

The armor and relic blade I think is more interesting, as if you dont *need* the 3 damage, you can grab the mantle instead for a very tanky boi.

2+, 4++,5+++, once per game grab a 3++

And of course you take the reroll warlord trait, because rerollings a 3+ invuln is gross, and now you can do it twice in one phase with a cp.

And the relic blade is str7, so it only matters vs T7 and T8, on the charge, and T4 as well if Red Thirst doesn't trigger.

With melta being good, and the loss of fight twice, I dont feel that relying on captain for anti-T8 is viable anyway.

I am super pleased that you can give a Priest a durability boost and ToT if you want to go that route, he'll have to be your true warlord, but giving him a 2+, 5++, and the Teeth is very solid. Slap a jump pack, chief apothecary, and selfless healer for a character that can literally do it all.

I’m actually really intrigued by the Visage of Death and Rites of War combo. It’s a durability boost with the -1 to hit, and a captain warlord can also get Artisans for either mantle or MC relic blade. In return, he can give objective secured to any unit including himself and take it from any enemy in 3”. I think I’ll try this in a game this Friday and see how it goes, the idea seems quite tempting to me.

So, hammer of baal, adamantine mantle captain vs master crafted relic blade armor indomitus captain?

I think either a combi or inferno pistol is the best accompanying weapon, for both, as I dont think SS are worth it for captains anymore, as paying 10 pts for a 2+ armor and giving up a weapon doesn't feel worth it when 9/10 captains die to stuff with AP to spare.

I would go for the Relic Blade now that Captains cannot reroll their own 1s. I think THs are probably best reserved for Chapter Masters who seemingly can give themselves full rerolls. Of course this is different if you take a WLT that grants rerolls to hit.

I think the SS is situational. If you have a bike or JP character the ability zoom off and snag an Objective can be handy, particularly late game. In this case, the extra durability vs small arms can be useful.

I am super pleased that you can give a Priest a durability boost and ToT if you want to go that route, he'll have to be your true warlord, but giving him a 2+, 5++, and the Teeth is very solid. Slap a jump pack, chief apothecary, and selfless healer for a character that can literally do it all.

It is going to become a standard I think. I actually prefer Armour Indomitus for the +1W on the Priest as he is such as key Character that you don't want to lose him so the one-off 3++ is handy in an emergency.

I’m actually really intrigued by the Visage of Death and Rites of War combo. It’s a durability boost with the -1 to hit, and a captain warlord can also get Artisans for either mantle or MC relic blade. In return, he can give objective secured to any unit including himself and take it from any enemy in 3”. I think I’ll try this in a game this Friday and see how it goes, the idea seems quite tempting to me.

Put it on a Bike Captain for speed and maybe give him some Outrider buddies and you can steal an Objective your opponent is probably expecting to be safe.

How do Jump Pack Company Veterans/Champion from Legends work now?

I haven't tried them myself but I imagine they will be pretty good. 2 wounds makes their wound soaking ability twice as good.

...but how do we go about getting them Jump Packs? The Codex: SM (9th) doesn’t provide an option to give them JP....our Index (9th) does not either (unless I missed something)...and I was mistaken and they are not in Legends. In 8th we could take them because BA Index (8th) allowed it, even though Codex: BA (8th) did not, since there was the at whole flow chart thing pointing us back to the Index (8th). I have not seen any reviews or comments that the unit/option even exists in Supplement: Blood Angels (9th)?

:cuss that’s confusing to follow publication-wise.

How do Jump Pack Company Veterans/Champion from Legends work now?

I haven't tried them myself but I imagine they will be pretty good. 2 wounds makes their wound soaking ability twice as good.

...but how do we go about getting them Jump Packs? The Codex: SM (9th) doesn’t provide an option to give them JP....our Index (9th) does not either (unless I missed something)...and I was mistaken and they are not in Legends.

Sorry, I misunderstood the question, I thought you meant that they were now in legends. If they are not then they are gone for ever. :sad.:

Edited by Karhedron