Track or Grav?

TorvaldTheMild

As we have no idea what GW are planning for SM's in the future, I was just wanting to get an idea of what has been released now.  I for one love all the grav vehicle units, I still love the tracked vehicles we have like the land raider etc. and hope GW keep them in the future (which I could see happening since we got bikes instead of jet bikes).  With this in mind who would rather have all grav vehicles, or like myself a mix of both?

I would use as many tanks with repulsor key words as possible just because of the stratagem. Its most likely they will never be chosen to deep strike next to and charge. even with a reroll and some units getting a bonus at best of 2" they'd only get 1/4 chance of success.

Impulsors are also the only transport we have at the moment where we can deploy after it moves.

I've mostly used transports in 9th to just protect infantry from 1st and maybe 2nd turn shooting. Mostly for hvy weapons and blade guard vets

Yes, Razorbacks of all loadouts offer a good balance of firepower, transport and economy. I think the Impulsor is still paying for the sin of being too good at the end of the 8th as it lost FLY and had its invuln degraded whilst still remaining quite pricey for what it does.

The only reason people seem to take Impulsors is for Bladeguard at the moment.

I enjoyed Command and Conquer Tiberium Wars and played GDI... I have absolutely no qualms about tracks and grav being in the same army, aesthetically.

Rules wise, I think the Impulsor is very good but any more than 1 and you have to think carefully about list building, whereas Razorbacks and Rhinos are solid anyway because they're cheaper.

It's not that they're better, just easier to field in most armies.

There are some balance changes that need looking into but both types work well together both in game (saturation is key) and aesthetically.

Edited by Captain Idaho

Aw :censored: , here we go again

I am of the mindset that the Primaris tanks would of looked better Tracked however...I know WarAngel isn't far...and thus the ancient war will resume :D

However I know there are people both sides of the fence with opinions varying wildly. Most seem content but yet there are rumbles here and there and I would say personally marines should remain tracked. I say it cheapens the fact that of factions, they make use of STC the most and even have the most variants based on them bar maybe the Mechanicus but can't say. The Rhino, Land Raider and Land Speeder are all STC based. Kind of made them special.

However I believe the lore behind the new Grav-plates is Cawl took the Land Speeder hover tech and with a mix of experimenting and brute forcing emulated the tech for the Repulsor plates. However I always feel the grav plates rob the tanks of their weight, makes them floaty and not as hard hitting imo.

I certainly hope they don't do away with tracked tanks for marines. If that goes away then likely the faction loses a point of appeal for me. And no I don't hate grav tanks, I think however it has to make sense within the factions greater lore and the Repulsor tech is just some weird amalgam of what feels forced justification and reasonable progress...not sure how to express it.

Aw :censored: , here we go again

I am of the mindset that the Primaris tanks would of looked better Tracked however...I know WarAngel isn't far...and thus the ancient war will resume :biggrin.:

However I know there are people both sides of the fence with opinions varying wildly. Most seem content but yet there are rumbles here and there and I would say personally marines should remain tracked. I say it cheapens the fact that of factions, they make use of STC the most and even have the most variants based on them bar maybe the Mechanicus but can't say. The Rhino, Land Raider and Land Speeder are all STC based. Kind of made them special.

However I believe the lore behind the new Grav-plates is Cawl took the Land Speeder hover tech and with a mix of experimenting and brute forcing emulated the tech for the Repulsor plates. However I always feel the grav plates rob the tanks of their weight, makes them floaty and not as hard hitting imo.

I certainly hope they don't do away with tracked tanks for marines. If that goes away then likely the faction loses a point of appeal for me. And no I don't hate grav tanks, I think however it has to make sense within the factions greater lore and the Repulsor tech is just some weird amalgam of what feels forced justification and reasonable progress...not sure how to express it.

I actually agree with this; all Astartes would look cooler with tracks.

But they didn't go that direction.  And that's why I can't mix my aesthetics.  Primaris are sleeker and modern and futuristic and more of a sci-fi elite fighting force, where as originals are older, dirty, backward thinking, gothic. I like both aesthetics (though I like the original more) but one thing is for sure: they do not blend well.

I'd actually like to see the Primaris *equivalent* to a Vindicator be a tracked and brutal looking siege weapon, 4 or even 6 track units along the chassis.

Rik

The Melta Gladiator is sitting squarely in the Vindicator's niche for that kind of firepower. Same T, same main gun range, lower S but better average shot count and not blast (which I'd count as a plus on a tank very likely to operate in "close enough to get charged" range).

I like both personally. Primaris being more "high tech" in a sense I feel fit grav better. Plus, as Captain Idaho, I've played games where tracked and grav vehicles were used by the same faction, so having both doesn't bother me much.

Especially because my two Marines forces (Dark Angels and Emperor's Spears [TBS]) will use both Firstborn and Primaris :yes:

I find it a little weird, the argument of grav for astartes. I get they are supposed to be the high tech faction of 40k (or one of I suppose) but they were always supposed to have a certain element of "harking to their roots", relating to how they were formed by the Emperor of Mankind 10,000 years ago. The tanks being a reminder of that along with their ancient and revered weapon.

I suppose really for me, it is just a sense of what I grew up with works. I just can't gel with grav plates on tanks in this way...and to be honest any sort of grav tank has a hard time with me because it always robs it of weight visually. Not to say you can't have good looking grav-tanks in science fiction under the control of a human species but...I always find it hard to justify it in my head really. It will never gel with me and hence I haven't bought nor bothered with any Primaris Tanks despite having my own now rather decent amount of Primaris for my chapter in terms of infantry.

Now to get a GW Employee bonked: Let primaris use Firstborn transports and let Firstborn use Primaris Transports. Hear that? The sound of progress my friends :D

Also...where's WarAngel...then again last time Ishagu dipped on that conversation but in this one Ishagu has appeared...hmmm...anyone seen Ishagu and WarAngel in the same place at the same time? ;)

I think that as the GW model range is expanded, and they get better at creating kits and their capacity to manufacture is increased, it's better that they make the ranges as distinctive as possible.

The Primaris kits and hover tanks are all distinctive from other Imperium armies, and also distinctive from the Chaos Astartes. The Grav tanks really set them apart as a technologically sophisticated force, different from other Arms of the Imperium.

For that I'm totally on board, and I much prefer them to the old tanks.

I support Doghouses view: let the players mix and match. The artificial limitation on Primaris tanks only for Primaris, while they won't fit in a LR is ridiculous. 

I bought a Gladiator, even though I prefer tracks. I think it's a cool looking battle tank. But I'd much rather have my Primaris ride in a LR Crusader to bring the pain. Or have them rain down in drop pods. No, not Primaris drop pods, just my standard drop pods, dammit. :)

I imagine the split is for a plan further down the line to seperate the ranges. This way it won't feel like Primaris players are having their transport options taken away, or visa versa.