Sons of the Lion (DA Special Doctrines)

jaxom

What a lot of people seem to be forgetting with regards to Inner Circle, is that Mortal Wounds are still a thing and will hurt DW unless we build in protection, thus limiting what else we can get into our lists.  I'm not saying this is the be all and end all to dealing with DW, but they are vulnerable to certain builds and armies, as it should be imho.

Which is fine by me. More fun for both parties.

Plus as I played my DW against marines the inner circle rule did almost nothing for me because of mass s4 bolterfire. What really helped was stratagems , 5+++ Chappy aura and my chief apothecary on bike.

I think Deathwing is in a good place.

What a lot of people seem to be forgetting with regards to Inner Circle, is that Mortal Wounds are still a thing and will hurt DW unless we build in protection, thus limiting what else we can get into our lists.  I'm not saying this is the be all and end all to dealing with DW, but they are vulnerable to certain builds and armies, as it should be imho.

Mortal wounds...and low model count too. I was putting together a dual-wing, all ObSec list last night, and what I found myself struggling with is thinking about how I would effectively screen off my deployment zone, and prevent my opponent from securing secondaries such as Scramblers. Understanding what our chapter-unique secondaries are will be the final measure of how competitive we will be.

To Aeri's point though - it is right that we should have bogey armies. The Blood Angels player moaning about how Transhuman mitigates their chapter benefit...fine, but Dark Angels are but one army.

My DG friend and I were having a discussion last night in preparation for a chat based roll off between Deathshroud and Deathwing Knights.  The points cost is comparable so we think it will be a good matchup to test.  The main concern of his is once my Knights get into combat (we're thinking a single shooting phase first) he's going to get squished, what do you guys think?

Which is fine by me. More fun for both parties.

Plus as I played my DW against marines the inner circle rule did almost nothing for me because of mass s4 bolterfire. What really helped was stratagems , 5+++ Chappy aura and my chief apothecary on bike.

I think Deathwing is in a good place.

I’ve been staying away from most of the IC discussion, but that (mass small arms, particularly bolters/bolt rifles in tactical doctrine) are the counter is my opinion.

New article is up today on some of the Crusade rules:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/01/29/hunt-and-capture-the-fallen-with-the-dark-angels-new-crusade-rules/

I also don't see the strikemaster in that image, looks like a Deathwing terminator sergeant and the sergeant from Dark Vengeance.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

To Aeri's point though - it is right that we should have bogey armies. The Blood Angels player moaning about how Transhuman mitigates their chapter benefit...fine, but Dark Angels are but one army.

Well, our chapter benefit is negated by moving (quite a part of the game in 9th) and not being forced to do marale checks. Seems fair theirs doesn't work against some units of one army in the game :biggrin.: .

I saw leak of part of one stratagem page via one of the discord groups I'm in. We've got the following stratagems returning:

Swift Strike 2/3CP (Looks like it'll be renamed because it's listed before Secret Agenda, but the title is cut off on the image I saw). Costs 2 CP for 5, 3CP for more models.

- After fighting with a RW unit make a normal move (or fallback if still engaged)

Secret Agenda 1CP

- Keep one Agenda (Crusade) or Secondary Objective secret until you score victory or experience points for it

Stasis Shell 2CP

- Make a single shot with RW Unit grenade launcher. On a hit, the unit (excluding Vehicles and Monsters) cannot Fall Back until start of your next turn.

Weapons From the Dark Age 2CP

- Shooting phase when DA unit is selected to shoot. +1 damage for plasma weapons until the end of the phase.

I saw leak of part of one stratagem page via one of the discord groups I'm in. We've got the following stratagems returning:

Swift Strike 2/3CP (Looks like it'll be renamed because it's listed before Secret Agenda, but the title is cut off on the image I saw). Costs 2 CP for 5, 3CP for more models.

- After fighting with a RW unit make a normal move (or fallback if still engaged)

Secret Agenda 1CP

- Keep one Agenda (Crusade) or Secondary Objective secret until you score victory or experience points for it

Stasis Shell 2CP

- Make a single shot with RW Unit grenade launcher. On a hit, the unit (excluding Vehicles and Monsters) cannot Fall Back until start of your next turn.

- Shooting phase when DA unit is selected to shoot. +1 damage for plasma weapons until the end of the phase.

... ouch.

@G8Keeper - don't know enough of the detail of how filthy Blightlords can be, but I'd love to know if we're now top dog or not!

On another note, I noticed in this photo from the WarComm article we may have our first glimpse of a StrikeMaster:

Hw5PQVrsUEPMywUH.jpg

Idk, looks like just a ss/th Sgt to me in a 5 man squad.

But now that it’s mentioned, Sgt barachiel from dark vengeance would make a great strikemaster! Very unique aesthetic and classic loadout

Edited by jbaeza94

Idk, looks like just a ss/th Sgt to me in a 5 man squad.

Eh, you may be right there. I think what made me think of a SM was because it used the DWK Storm Shield and not the Assault Terminator Storm Shield, and that he is stood at the front "leading" a Deathwing force (ignoring the fact that Belial is in the background...)

Secret Agenda 1CP

Stasis Shell 2CP

All fairly resonable. Statis shell should be 1cp, but can't complain too much