State of the Union (Heresy)

I never like getting too deep into leaks, but would PHASE 3 PLAYTEST really be written on the finished artwork style pages?

(I'm sure I could word that better)

Point is, why is it still playtest if it has the fluff corridors down the sides and beneath the titles of the wargear and so on. Would they not playtest just on A4 word docs?

I never like getting too deep into leaks, but would PHASE 3 PLAYTEST really be written on the finished artwork style pages?

(I'm sure I could word that better)

Point is, why is it still playtest if it has the fluff corridors down the sides and beneath the titles of the wargear and so on. Would they not playtest just on A4 word docs?

They are likely also doing page/format proofing at the same time as the playtest as well as editorial stuff before it got sent to the printers so might as well just send it out to people like that since most of the work is done anyways.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Edited by Slips

Well hopefully the Firedrakes get edited slightly as by that they are locked in to Cataphractii armour when before it was an option, if not then the FW models aren't legal...

You'd think they're Tartaros but theyre actually a weird mishmash suit that has elements of both Tartaros (Helmet, front of legs, torso) and Cataphractii (Shoulders, back of the legs, back of torso)

Edited by Slips

I like the salamanders trait, even if I wish it was a tiny bit stronger. The -S against heat weapons is meh, but IWND on elite units is surprisingly fluffy.

It encourages the lists to be as elite as possible, which echoes the theme of a few hardened survivors seeking vengeance against the traitors and their newly raised hordes of inductii, action-hero style.

Kinda like that forgotten "after Istvaan" RoW for shattered legions. It had a bonus called "Survival of the Fittest" which made vets into non-compulsory troops. Likely representing not the veterans of the Great Crusade, but of the Drop Site Massacre.

I like the salamanders trait, even if I wish it was a tiny bit stronger. The -S against heat weapons is meh, but IWND on elite units is surprisingly fluffy.

It encourages the lists to be as elite as possible, which echoes the theme of a few hardened survivors seeking vengeance against the traitors and their newly raised hordes of inductii, action-hero style.

Kinda like that forgotten "after Istvaan" RoW for shattered legions. It had a bonus called "Survival of the Fittest" which made vets into non-compulsory troops. Likely representing not the veterans of the Great Crusade, but of the Drop Site Massacre.

Just a minor thing, but it isn't -1S, it's -1 to Wound rolls. So Multi-meltas are still S8 (presumably), but only wound you on 3s.

Well hopefully the Firedrakes get edited slightly as by that they are locked in to Cataphractii armour when before it was an option, if not then the FW models aren't legal...

Fitedrakes always had Cataphractii Armour in the Red books and never had the option for Tartaros armour.

From around 20 Terminator Units only a handfull are listet as Tartaros armour oo are able to choose their armour.

You'd think they're Tartaros but theyre actually a weird mishmash suit that has elements of both Tartaros (Helmet, front of legs, torso) and Cataphractii (Shoulders, back of the legs, back of torso)

Damn, you're right Slips. All this time I thought they were Tartaros and they are just smoothed down Cataphractii.... Well, I've been wrong for several years then...

Legion trait: got it, it's helpful against plasma and melta. You only get wounded on 3s for your guys and your dreads can tank them nicely. Actually helpful. Flamers are still stronger than normal too, good stuff.

But the rites and actual gameplan is where I struggle. It's use flamers/close ranged shooting and then burn them with Overwatch and grind them down in melee, right? Or hold until the dedicated melee unit comes in? Vulkan giving everyone stubborn supports that.

That seems to be the play with pyroclasts and covenant of fire. You blast units with their flamers, the 2+ and 2 wounds deflect small arms, 2 wounds, it will not die, the legion rules and 5++ against heat frustrate quality weapons. Then you decide between Overwatch and Duty is sacrifice to decide how to take the charge. The extra CCW makes the second choice not too bad.

But man does that feel like a slow setup and rather pigeonholed. It feels like you have flamer city and firedrake brick as the two archetypes and that's really it. Maybe it's just how I look at list building and like options and to find interesting new things.

EDIT: just to be clear, I think salamanders are stronger. They get to deep strike now with covenant, as well as having full access to fast attack and heavy slots. The extra wound, attack, ccw and it will not die on the pyroclasts help solidify their role. I just have a hard time with how stuck in a play style they are.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

Damn, you're right Slips. All this time I thought they were Tartaros and they are just smoothed down Cataphractii.... Well, I've been wrong for several years then...

It happens to the best of us. Like how Ashen Circle are the only Mk III models with Jump Packs.

Theres also some unfortunately low quality BA leaks:

unknown.png

I'm glad that switching to Inferno Pistol is free, because plasma pistols are already expensive. But I wonder if +5pts to double the wounds caused by power weapons is too cheap. It will depend on the cost I guess.

unknown.png

I'm glad that switching to Inferno Pistol is free, because plasma pistols are already expensive. But I wonder if +5pts to double the wounds caused by power weapons is too cheap. It will depend on the cost I guess.

Interestingly, because they count as Flame weapons, they are worse against salamanders than regular power weapons.

Interestingly, because they count as Flame weapons, they are worse against salamanders than regular power weapons.

Hmm. I was skeptical about these new rules (I found them thematic but kinda weak), but with Word Bearers having their warpfire upgrade be a type of plasma, Blood Angels perdition weapons counting as flame, and Volkite options being given to every vehicle, could our XVIII legion bros be actually winning right under our noses?

unknown.png

Blades of Perdition will set you back 20 points right now, so I don’t think these upgrades will come out on the cheaper end of the scale. I get the design choice to make the Perdition weapons align with the AP distribution for Power Weapons but I’m disappointed the Blade is now AP 3 and lost Master Crafted since my HQs use them. So it goes. Edited by Cris R

http://i.4pcdn.org/tg/1648661142587.png

The Blood Angels are getting their usual rule where they require one less than they normally need to wound in assault to a minimum of 2+.

It no longer activates when being charged, only when getting the charge, but disordered charges are included.

Also a bonus to ramming tanks for some reason I cannot fathom.