New to deamons

happyslugger

slugger needs some competition for models painted, making everyone else look bad :P

Ha, not at all buddy.

It's not a race, I just paint when I have time and feel like it. I go through highs and lows with painting. Sometimes I just want to paint and other times, I just can't be bothered. Also, I would say at this moment I've become more involved with the building and painting element of the hobby over the gaming element. Can't remember the last battle I had. I've got a 6*4 table here and 3 battle mats, just with COVID I have lost all interest in games at present.

I've been watching some vids on YouTube for world eaters colour schemes lol.

I'm camping in a field at the moment, but have a few battle reports to watch when the family fall asleep lol

Plus, there are plenty (and I mean plenty) of folks out there who can paint far better than me.

Fun fact....Khorne daemons are my eighth army...must be a sign lol

Edited by happyslugger

It's time and mojo currently for me, they can't seem to align. Games being a distant memory doesn't help but we'll get there. I still need to correct the priming that went bad on my last Daemonettes :confused: Until then I'll make do following other people's projects :wink: Especially when it comes to Be'lakor :lol:

He's on the list, but I need to be good and finish my outstanding daemons project at the least. Plus I have a decent selection of HQ units so really need more bread and butter. Also I won't exclusively be working on my daemons as other armies also fight for my time :tongue.: I want to use him as a "reward" so I'll need to see when I feel like I've earned it :laugh.:

• 2 months later...

Okay, so I haven't played or built / painted anything at all for a while, work has been busy.

So I have just sat, built and primed 3 more bloodcrushers and my second skull cannon (hate making this thing).

Aim is to sit and paint them tomorrow and Monday as I have a day off.

I am off to my local store later to collect some models (as I sold some older models on ebay and netted £200 - awesome).  So I am picking up; Skarbrand, another bloodthirster (will build this one with the large axe), a daemon prince and 2 boxes of fleshhounds.

That will give me:

1 x Bloodmaster (built with the bits from the first skull cannon).

1 x D. Prince.

2 x B.Thirster

1 x Skarbrand

6 x Bloodcrushers

10 x fleshhounds

2 x Skull cannons.

30 x Bloodletters.

I still have Be'lakor to build also.

Should give me a decent amount to play with either pure Khorne, or mixed with my nurgle daemons.

I also read on here that the WE may be getting new models which I am happy with as I picked up the Khârn model a while back also.  Reason for this was I can then mix my DG and Nurgle daemons, mix WE with Khorne daemons, or run them as mono armies, or mix khorne and nurgle daemons.  Not sure I have the room for many WE models to be fair, so may just be a small selection of the ones I like the most.

When we do play, it isn't win at all costs and I prefer to take armies that match the fluff where possible - even if I get hammered due to it.

Edited by happyslugger

Photos aren't great as the lighting is terrible.

Its Mephy red, washed with null oil, further was to darken back and legs.  Then dry brush evil sun, troll slayer and edge highlight with the wild rider.  

Tried to follow a video on youtube, but not as good as the pro's lol.

Got a game planned for the weekend at 1250 points (as that's all I have painted for Khorne). I'm up against Necrons (my son).

I only have; bloodthirster, DP (proxi one of my DG ones till I've built and painted the new one). 30 bloodletters, 10 hounds, 6 bloodcrushers and two skull cannons.

He will probably bring a lord, the new skorp lord, 30 troops, the Ctan nightbringer (hate this thing), the skorp destroyers and the ophydian destroyers.

Not sure how I will do as that Ctan is a real pain to deal with.

I will have to try and take 3 wounds off the Ctan with the skull cannons and then try and bog it down with some chaff..unless he goes first. I'm hoping the bloodthirster is a large enough distraction and he goes after that first.

Any pointers?

Edited by happyslugger

I'm afraid I can't help much as I don't play Khorne or know them too well, but overall your army looks decent with general numbers and that. Maybe the Bloodthirster is a bit pricey at 1250 but against the C'tan you'll need a heavy hitter? I have no idea on their stats though.

I have fought Necrons a couple of times, once with my Daemons (albeit Slaanesh). Their shooting is mean, but one bonus of the daemonic is all their good AP counts for nothing :P Once you get stuck in to combat you can take them to task pretty well, be wary of what the Warriors can do against your infantry and of course focus units down if you can. Don't forget pictures for a batrep, and good luck :tu:

• 2 months later...

Well it has been a while and I lost my mojo for painting for a while.

This week I aim to finish my last three blood crushers and my second skull cannon.  

I then have 1 x Bloodthirster (massive axe dude), skarbrand, 1 x daemon prince and then the last guy....Be'lakor.

I lost my interest as the blood crushers and skull cannon really don't do anything for me, and they have been sat on my shelf half finished since I completed my hounds.

But I shall make an effort this week to get them done.

Oh and I still haven't had a game :-(

Mojo can't be forced, best to take it slow and pick up small easy projects etc to get back into it :tu: It's good to have a painted army ready to game too, so each model painted is worth it when you do that that game :) If the lack of games is hindering motivation a break to another army helps I find, or putting a big/fancy model on your hobby desk to get stuck into.

I can't start another army I've got; nurgle daemons, khorne daemons, death guard, blood angels, Harlequins, custodes and chaos knights. I've no more room lol.

I tend to find I hit a wall, a few months go by and then boom I hit the hobby hard again.

So I'm just getting back to the boom stage now I think.

On a +ve, I've not purchased any new models for a while :-) so my backlog hasn't grown.

Edited by happyslugger

• 1 month later...

I think Custodes are a bit of a tough match for Daemons, their low numbers make it harder to leverage the daemonic hordes - and their excellent durability means a lot bounces off. While their AP means little that doesn't change the number and qualify of their attacks so the chaff are like wheat before the scythe, and even a basic Custode has the ability to put some hurt on a Greater Daemon... :confused:

Given Khorne can't make use of Custode's one weakness in psychic powers it was a bad combo indeed. All experience to help you improve and do better next time :tu:

Yes it was just a little play around see how they faired. By the end of turn 5 the golden boys had lost 7 models (including the big guy himself) and the daemons had lost everything bar one skull canon, on 3 wounds locked in combat with three bikes. What was surprising was how weak the greater daemons were compared to terminators (x3) and the man himself. I think they (daemons) need a little help to be honest. I did deliberately set up a few combats also but there was little to no comparison between skarbrand & Trajann Valoris. When you consider the points it's criminal really. Might try 2k mixed (khorne and nurgle) daemons Vs custodes next, but also want to put them against my Harlequins also. Being as I can't play others at the minute I may as well have some in house development sessions on my own lol Edited by happyslugger

Greater Daemons have a name that doesn't quite match the rules they're killy but are fragile, being akin to a Daemon Engine but without the 3+... Unfortunately that needs no further embellishment :( Exalted helps a bit - I always pick the 4++ for my KoS - but it's just a plaster and one that costs at that (even if Daemons have little to spend Command Points compared to others).

Daemons are finding it a long wait for a new codex, but perhaps with the supposed "year of Chaos" in 2022 they might be earlier out than not? There aren't many armies languishing in 8th now so here's hoping it's not a long wait and it's a fruitful one. Until then making the most of what there is isn't a bad way to get games in and valuable experience :) It took a long time for Guard to get a decent codex for example, but I found the years of eking out victories made for fertile ground when there were things to grow :lol:

Greater demons need to be taken in numbers currently. They are too much of a liability if there is only 1. They can get focused so fast that you easily loose them turn 1.

Khorne is also struggling right now. They have no psychic defence or offence, and rely on a gimmick like the 3d6 charging blood letters which can be screened out easily.

I’ve been recently Playing with nurgle and slaanesh demons to some success! The fast Slaanesh demons barrel up the board in the early turns, and try to tie up/kill important units, while the nurgle demons hang back to score objectives and come in to o join the fight in the later game.

Basic troop demons also benefit from big blobs of 20-30 models also, small squads get deleted easily if they are on the front lines.

My little list had skarbrand, bloodthirster and a Daemon prince in it. I did laugh when some bloodletters bounced off 3 terminators, who then deleted them in return lol.

Thing is you often see videos on YT of Daemon lists (watched the intro to one earlier from Glass hammer) and they have like 5 greater daemons and cheap troops and that's about it. I find that a little boring myself.