ToyShip starts over...4/8/22 Update Legio Apsis Warlord DONE

Hello again ye hallowed halls of the B&C! Seems I did a disappearing act again in my previous topic. Long story short I started to hate the models I painted up for Legio Victorum, I rushed them and I made alot of mistakes building them. I still have them, and they may yet provide fodder for my new project:

LEGIO ASCALON

oj86g1C.jpg

KHoGYnz.jpg

x4wnQj9.jpg

vuctxzF.jpg

I've been plugging away at this guy for about a week now, really forcing myself to take my time. Mucked up the melta cannon a bit, I will attempt to rectify. Should have the VMB stand in from Battlebling any day now, looking forward to that, and waiting on some basing materials.

I got the Precept Maniple Battle force, and I had a Warbringer and this Reaver. So that's the current build log. Working towards a Perpetua Maniple of two Reavers and two Warbringers then finishing up with the two Warhounds and the Warlord. After that...maybe a Warmaster?

Thanks for looking!

Edited by ToyShip

Man that is beautiful! Excellent work!

Looks great. Your weathering and marble effects are superb!

Thanks so much! Trying to push as many skills as possible on this project!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your responses and encouragement! Thread isn't dead, just took me a couple weeks to get back to this. I've been painting HH Dark Angels, and some BB Black Orcs in between!

Waiting on a VMB, ruined the one I had from Battlebling, so there's that. Was able to salvage the melta cannon paint job, and got it based. The apocalypse missile launcher he is equipped with currently is not the final loadout. May I present:

"Grim Messenger"

ecAbosp.jpgDWoI45W.jpg

ErmRWgi.jpg

Edited by ToyShip

That looks fantastic, beautiful work! I particularly like the weathering. Any tips? It’s one of the areas I’m least confident about, and really need to just have a go at some point!

Thank you! My best advice? Check out Cult of Paint on YouTube. They're what gave me the push to try the weathering out. The weathering is deceptively simple and once you've got a little bit of practice with oils it takes very little time to get a good result. I'll try and get some pictures of the panels as I go on this Warbringer coming up.

The base is coming along nicely. Will you be doing it in Mars-red tones, or something different?

The base is basically done! I'm waiting on a few epic Legion tanks to add to the base, things like that, but those are the final colors. I would like to get some powders but that will have to come at a later date.

++++

Began assembly and paint on the first of two Warbringers, I've been putting it off for about a year now and I don't know why. Thanks to Apologist's posing tutorial I was able to get a good walking pose going. It's hard to tell in the picture but the toes ARE bent to look proper in the lifted leg.

A0DWKVx.jpg

Thanks again to all that have commented!

Edited by ToyShip

• 2 months later...

I finally got some more work done on the Warbringer. I'm not dead yet!

JuQMkuW.jpg

I also got a VMB started for the Reaver previously posted.  (Thanks to my buddy Greg I have all the VMBs and Belicosas I need...3d printing is a wild thing)

C5QJ8Gl.jpg

I have a game against his Astorum coming up the week after Labor Day, so there should be a flurry of activity over the next couple of days/weeks. I need to do the weapons arms and base for the Warbringer, highlight the gold, then I am throwing together two Warhounds. Should be right at 1250pts with a minimum Ferrox Maniple supported by the Warbringer.

Edited by ToyShip

The Dragon on the carapace shield came out rather well.

Was that a transfer or stencil?

It’s a transfer! I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. The weathering was a bit heavier than intended but I think it works.

That's grim and excellent brother.

I'm looking forward to seeing him done....

Thank you! I’ve been putting it off for months, can’t wait to wrap it up! Should be done this weekend!

• 7 months later...

So it's been a while, again. Still have yet to play a game, but within the next couple of weeks there are plans to do so. Since my last post I ahave worked on a few things, namely some Legio Tempestus Warhounds, the trim and base for the Ascalon Warbringer, and I just finished up an engine I am thoroughly in love with, who will soon be joined by more engines in the same scheme. Check everything out!

gallery_13174_16604_311814.jpeg

Here you see the Tempestus engines, I also finished the VMB for the Ascalon Reaver. Arms for the Warbringer are assembled, it should be good to go by the end of the week.

gallery_13174_16604_47194.jpeg

I also got a 3d printer, the aptly named Mars3, and I've been printing various terrain for Titanicus. Also printed Grimdark Terrain's Direwolf proxy (not pictures, still need to assemble.)

gallery_13174_16604_43660.jpeg

Finally, this beautiful piece of machinery. It's using the head from the aforementioned Direwolf proxy, that was the basis of the whole build. I wanted a rifleman reaver. The idea is this Legio is from a smaller backworld Forgeworld, and as such the Legio is relatively small (Tertius grade), maybe a dozen engines at most. When the Heresy kicks off, they send calls for aid as a Traitor Battlegroup is set to invade. Loyalist engines from the remains of Legio Ascalon (homeworld fell to dark Mechanicum and SoH) and Tempestus (a small loyal force that was not on Mars for the Death of Innocence), among other Blackshield and Loyal forces respond. I am currently running with a "Shattered Legios" theme to allow me to paint whatever takes my fancy.

That all being said, I need Ideas for the Green legio. The marking on his right knee is an Atarus decal, flipped. Where it was an M for them, it now looks like "IK". Anyone have any cool forge name suggestions? Also working on Legio names for them. The idea is they are kind of a loyalist Xana, not in the respect of size, but with their experimentation. They've largely avoided Mars' gaze due to their backwater location, size, and abiltiy to create superlative Laser and Beam weapons. Maybe a crystalline forge world?

Any comments, criticisms, help with fluff is greatly appreciated!