break from marines to go craftworlds

Great to see, and thanks for writing up the games, they looked tense and fun, and congrats on how well you did! Eldar are definitely fun and rewarding to play, I enjoy them way more than marines I think. How well did psychic ritual go each game? I've also had trouble getting the most from warp spiders - they seem overcosted for what they bring, everaging 4S6 shots each that need to roll to hit - it's tempting to swap them for more scatter lasers or avengers. 

7 hours ago, MarshalMittermeier said:

wraithblades i think need some thought-they can hold middle FOR SURE, but at what cost? 225-310 (5-7) plus 105 for a babysitting fortune? idk.

I am still experimenting with my Wraithblades but I do like them as we do benefit from having a brick of a unit to take the centre-ground Objectives. Rather than a Farseer with Fortune, I find a Spiritseer with Jinx/Protect is cheaper but very effective.

Thanks for the write-up and congrats on a great tournament outcome.

2 hours ago, Xenith said:

Great to see, and thanks for writing up the games, they looked tense and fun, and congrats on how well you did! Eldar are definitely fun and rewarding to play, I enjoy them way more than marines I think. How well did psychic ritual go each game? I've also had trouble getting the most from warp spiders - they seem overcosted for what they bring, everaging 4S6 shots each that need to roll to hit - it's tempting to swap them for more scatter lasers or avengers. 

on ritual: game 1, i was blinded by too many opportunities and didnt cast ritual at all, too close to set up tabling of my opponent. game 2, i took interrogation instead of ritual, and that was a mistake. i could have scored 12 pts ritual. all other 3 games, ritual gave me all 3 times, 12 pts. great secondary. it is extremely difficult, if playing well, not to score it. 

regarding warp spiders: i use them with web of deceit, shooting then retreating etc. i think they are an awesome unit, though competing with swooping hawks. definitely finesse piece though.

42 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

I am still experimenting with my Wraithblades but I do like them as we do benefit from having a brick of a unit to take the centre-ground Objectives. Rather than a Farseer with Fortune, I find a Spiritseer with Jinx/Protect is cheaper but very effective.

Thanks for the write-up and congrats on a great tournament outcome.

another idea  a friend told me: farseer with fortune... AND FATEFUL DIVERGENCE. just generate cp from anywhere on the board for the army. definitely need to look into that. the next setup will be 2 farseers, 1 fortune/fateful divergence, and 1 skyrunner with doom/executioner/kurnous bow. plus 1-2 warlocks with jinx and/or quicken. i lose guide and crushing orb, gain jinx and superior cp generation. i will give it some thought.

I was a bit disillusioned with Guide and Doom recently, normally they're the bread and butter of Eldar, but I played a few things like custodes, chaos knights, and then there's Votann that just...switch off your rerolls. Too many gams where they weren't able to meaningfully contribute. 

14 minutes ago, Xenith said:

I was a bit disillusioned with Guide and Doom recently, normally they're the bread and butter of Eldar, but I played a few things like custodes, chaos knights, and then there's Votann that just...switch off your rerolls. Too many gams where they weren't able to meaningfully contribute. 

its okay. said farseer can just stop casting doom and cast instead smite and executioner for 3d3 mortal wounds, then kurnous bow shots for up to 3 more mortal wounds :P up to 12 mortal wounds per turn, so fun for votann and custodes ;) hint: use +1 Ulthwé bonus and strands for smite; so 7 +1d6, chance for supersmite very often, so up to 15 mortal wounds. then battlefocus/quicken back, repeat every turn.

Edited by MarshalMittermeier

• 3 weeks later...

a current list experiment for arks(Ulthwé craftworld traits):

support (390 pts)

autarch w/ fusion gun and wing of faolchiu

farseer skyrunner w/doom, executioner, mark of incomparable hunter, kurnous bow 

farseer w/ guide, fortune

seer council w/ quicken

main fighting forces: (1230 pts)

10 x dire avengers

5 x howling banshees

5 x striking scopions

5 x warp spiders

2 x wraithlords with sword and starcannons (tooled to fight enemy elites)

1 x wraithlord with bright lances (backline objective/light counterpunch)

falcon w/ shuricannon, carrying banshees & autarch

serpent w/ 2 bright lances, carrying avengers & seer council

screening units: (380 pts)

2 x 10 guardians

2 x 1 vypers

2 x 1 war walkers

i aim to score behind enemy lines with sacrificial units, warp ritual, and either a kill secondary or retrieve data.

Edited by MarshalMittermeier

so, results after an event prep game:

-vypers are... meh. they can do work in secondaries, but that justifies just 1x vyper, not 2x where at that point you can buy a normal unit.

-there is no need for 2 guardian squads. 1 as backfield holders is ok, more resilient than 1x rangers but cheaper than 2x rangers. but 2 guardians do nothing.

-the warwalkers are durable shooting platforms that facilitate my early turns shooting.

-the 3 wraithlords , at this point i must admit they are great, i see it, everyone of my opponents sees it, its just a fact. i tried to submit a list in a small local tournament this sunday without them, and today i chicken out and message the TO to swap stuff and put them back in. in a force that wants to strike first and strike hard with falcons, scorpions, warwalkers etc, having 3x toughness 8 as wave 2 is just a phenomenal 1-2 punch (thats right, i use my wraithlords as midfield units, not frontliners)

in total, changes:

-2 vypers.

-10 guardians.

-autarch.

+karandras.

+2x warwalkers.

I recently learned the hard way that stacking units of Guardians has one benefit and that is making the opponent feel good about slaughtering your army. I just couldn't keep them alive long enough for them to kill anything, take objectives or defend objectives. At least you know if you buy grots you already know that they aren't going to do much. :p

Yea, Eldar really suffer in 9th, where the aim of the game is to stand on objectives and hold them through your opponent's turn. We get to do that with 5 or 10 T3 5+ save bodies...Maybe a long range warwalker would do also, but eats into a heavy slot. 

Armies looking great, can't wait to see the results of the tourney! 

• 2 months later...