DA 2000pts Ravenwing Outrider

I played a small tournament with my Deathwing Vanguard with 2 Land Raiders. It was a positive experience overall and I had some good games, but I predictably went 0-3. That's all right, I'd recently finished my LRC and had intended to take it and my older Land Raider to at least 1 tournament just for the lulz before Covid hit, and I finally was able to do so. Now it's time to play something that stands more chance of being competitive, so here's the list I'm going to try next.

+++ NA 2K Ravenwing v1 (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [101 PL, 5CP, 2,000pts] +++

++ Outrider Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Dark Angels) [101 PL, 5CP, 2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration [9CP] +

**Chapter Selector**: Dark Angels

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)  [12CP]

Detachment Command Cost [-3CP]

Ravenwing Outrider Detachment

+ Stratagems [-2CP] +

Stratagem: Relics of the Chapter [-2CP]: 2x Number of Extra Relics [-2CP]

+ No Force Org Slot [5 PL, -1CP, 85pts] +

Ravenwing Champion [5 PL, -1CP, 85pts]: Blade of Triumph, Chapter Command:  Chapter Champion [1 PL, 15pts], Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

[-1CP], The Imperium's Sword

. Black Knight Bike: Plasma Talon

+ HQ [24 PL, 470pts] +

Lieutenant(s) [16 PL, 320pts]
. Ravenwing Talonmaster [8 PL, 160pts]: Arbiter's Gaze
. Ravenwing Talonmaster [8 PL, 160pts]

Sammael [8 PL, 150pts]: 4-6. Master of Manoeuvre, Warlord

+ Elites [24 PL, -1CP, 455pts] +

Ravenwing Apothecary [6 PL, -1CP, 115pts]: Chapter Command:  Chief Apothecary [1 PL, 15pts], Reliquary of the Repentant, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP]

Ravenwing Black Knights [18 PL, 340pts]: Ravenwing Black Knight [40pts], Ravenwing Black Knight [40pts], Ravenwing Black Knight [40pts], Ravenwing Black Knight [40pts]
. Ravenwing Black Knight [45pts]: Corvus Hammer [5pts]
. Ravenwing Huntmaster [45pts]: Corvus Hammer [5pts]

+ Fast Attack [48 PL, 990pts] +

Attack Bike Squad [6 PL, 165pts]
. Attack Bike [2 PL, 55pts]: Multi-melta [10pts]

Attack Bike Squad [6 PL, 165pts]

Bike Squad [9 PL, 150pts]
. Biker Sergeant [30pts]: Astartes Chainsword
. 4x Space Marine Biker w/Chainsword [120pts]: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Twin boltgun

. 4x Space Marine Biker w/Chainsword [120pts]: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Twin boltgun

Land Speeders [9 PL, 210pts]
. Land Speeder [3 PL, 70pts]: Multi-melta [10pts]

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

I don't think there's too much remarkable here. I suspect most Ravenwing lists meant to be competitive are going to look fairly similar. I only have 2 squads of Attack Bikes because that's all I have - and 2 of them are just purchased and still in their boxes. That's about the extend of meta-chasing I'm willing to go to. In place of the 3rd squad is the Land Speeder squad. It's a little more expensive, but has more base movement and can go over terrain instead of around it. 3 Bike Squads instead of Outrider Squads on the theory that Bike Squads are a slightly better investment in points. Black Knights for the Weapons of the Dark Age punch. The Champion originally made it in to carry the Reliquary of the Repentant instead of the Apothecary, but then I listened to an Art of War podcast where someone used him as an effective beatstick, and the list could use that. Sammy and the 2 Talonmasters, natch.  The idea is to fully exploit the first turn bonus Ravenwing get in Devastator Doctrine to hopefully put a serious hurt on my opponents' forces, then use mobility to rack up objectives. I figure there are worse plans.

That looks like a pretty lean and mean list. I honestly can't see anything I would change or swap.

The Landspeeders may not be meta-topping but I can see the logic in making use of their ability to FLY over terrain.

One suggestion might be to look at the Stormspeeder Thunderstrike. BS2+ makes it a good counter to Raiders which seem to be the new hotness in the meta. However that is just an idea I have seen floating about.

• 1 month later...

I tweaked the list. I had to take out one Land Speeder, but in doing so was able to rearrange Bikes and Attack Bikes to give me more favorable choices for While We Stand We Fight. The Bike Squads can combat squad now, and an opponent has to wipe both elements to eliminate the unit entirely. If/when I wind up down to 1 or 2 Bikers in the squad, I can have them bomb out for remote corners of the table to preserve their units for the secondary.

+++ NA 2K Ravenwing v1.1 (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [95 PL, 8CP, 2,000pts] +++

++ Outrider Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Dark Angels) [95 PL, 8CP, 2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration [12CP] +

**Chapter Selector**: Dark Angels

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)  [12CP]

Detachment Command Cost [-3CP]

Ravenwing Outrider Detachment [3CP]

+ Stratagems [-2CP] +

Stratagem: Relics of the Chapter [-2CP]: 2x Number of Extra Relics [-2CP]

+ No Force Org Slot [5 PL, -1CP, 85pts] +

Ravenwing Champion [5 PL, -1CP, 85pts]: Blade of Triumph, Bolt pistol, Chapter Command:  Chapter Champion [1 PL, 15pts], Frag & Krak grenades, Master-crafted power sword, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP], The Imperium's Sword

+ HQ [24 PL, 500pts] +

Lieutenant(s) [16 PL, 350pts]
. Ravenwing Talonmaster [8 PL, 175pts]: Arbiter's Gaze, Power sword, Twin assault cannon, Twin heavy bolter
. Ravenwing Talonmaster [8 PL, 175pts]: Power sword, Twin assault cannon, Twin heavy bolter

Sammael [8 PL, 150pts]: 4-6. Master of Manoeuvre, Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Master-crafted plasma cannon, Raven Sword, Twin storm bolter, Warlord

+ Elites [24 PL, -1CP, 415pts] +

Ravenwing Apothecary [6 PL, -1CP, 135pts]: Bolt pistol, Chapter Command:  Chief Apothecary [1 PL, 35pts], Frag & Krak grenades, Reliquary of the Repentant, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP]

Ravenwing Black Knights [18 PL, 280pts]
. Ravenwing Black Knight [40pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Plasma Talon
. Ravenwing Black Knight [40pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Plasma Talon
. Ravenwing Huntmaster [40pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Plasma Talon

+ Fast Attack [42 PL, 1,000pts] +

Attack Bike Squad [6 PL, 180pts]
. Attack Bike [2 PL, 60pts]: 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Frag & Krak grenades, Multi-melta [10pts], Twin boltgun
. Attack Bike [2 PL, 60pts]: 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Frag & Krak grenades, Multi-melta [10pts], Twin boltgun

Attack Bike Squad [2 PL, 60pts]

Bike Squad [14 PL, 310pts]
. Attack Bike [60pts]: 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Frag & Krak grenades, Multi-melta [30pts], Twin boltgun
. Biker Sergeant [30pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades, Twin boltgun
. 5x Space Marine Biker w/Chainsword [150pts]: 5x Astartes Chainsword, 5x Frag & Krak grenades, 5x Twin boltgun
. Space Marine Biker w/Special Weapon [35pts]: Flamer [5pts], Frag & Krak grenades, Twin boltgun
. Space Marine Biker w/Special Weapon [35pts]: Flamer [5pts], Frag & Krak grenades, Twin boltgun

Bike Squad [14 PL, 310pts]
. Attack Bike [60pts]: 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Frag & Krak grenades, Multi-melta [30pts], Twin boltgun
. Biker Sergeant [30pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades, Twin boltgun
. 5x Space Marine Biker w/Chainsword [150pts]: 5x Astartes Chainsword, 5x Frag & Krak grenades, 5x Twin boltgun

Land Speeders [3 PL, 70pts]

Land Speeders [3 PL, 70pts]

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Don't you only need six bikers to combat squad? So you can drop some to get corvus hammers on the knights and potentially up the flamers on one of the squads to something that pairs nicer with the melts attack bike to have a fast killy missile squad

Don't you only need six bikers to combat squad? So you can drop some to get corvus hammers on the knights and potentially up the flamers on one of the squads to something that pairs nicer with the melts attack bike to have a fast killy missile squad

That's been the case in the past. The current rule for Combat Squads states, and I quote, "...if this unit contains the maximum number of models that it can, then it can be split into two units containing as equal a number of models as possible."

The squad size for a Bike squad is the Sergeant, 2-7 Bikers, and 0-1 Attack Bike. So, we need 8 Bikers and the Attack Bike to Combat Squad the unit now. 

Unless I'm missing something.

That's been the case in the past. The current rule for Combat Squads states, and I quote, "...if this unit contains the maximum number of models that it can, then it can be split into two units containing as equal a number of models as possible."

The squad size for a Bike squad is the Sergeant, 2-7 Bikers, and 0-1 Attack Bike. So, we need 8 Bikers and the Attack Bike to Combat Squad the unit now.

Unless I'm missing something.

I think that's a battle scribe error. The main book says it's 6 iirc (I'll have to check later)

Edit: you were right. My list will need some modifications now...

As for yours, I am not sure there flamers squads is necessary. Have you considered dropping some of those for chainswords to free up some points? Or are hordes big in your meta?

Edited by Vulshra

I think that's a battle scribe error. The main book says it's 6 iirc (I'll have to check later)

Edit: you were right. My list will need some modifications now...

As for yours, I am not sure there flamers squads is necessary. Have you considered dropping some of those for chainswords to free up some points? Or are hordes big in your meta?

I had a half-assed idea the flamers would be useful against Drukhari. Possibly Orks too. I haven't been getting in many games yet though. Things are opening up slowly. It does occur to me I might be better off with a few corvus hammers in the Black Knight squad. 

It really kind of irks me we have to pay +5pts per Black Knight for the corvus hammers. I think 40pts with the hammers would be perfectly reasonable.

How do you plan to go about breaking down the squads? I'm personally a fan of running them as an obsec all bolter chainsword squad and then my others are special weapons and attack bike to be a forward killy unit, but I could also see a combat focused forward squad with the ab section staying further back and utilizing the meltas longer range to camp objectives.

If the former, I'd say consider dropping the speeders down to attack bikes and boosting the flamers to plasmas or even meltas, and giving the sergents combis. If the latter, I'd consider finding some points to give them lighting claws

That's not a bad idea, but I'm only willing to chase the meta so far. I do like the idea of consolidating special weapons into a killy squad. Maybe I'll drop the flamers, put a pair of meltaguns in one AB combat squad, and run the other squads as you say. Edited by Grand Master Raziel