Testing out Smash Captain Builds

Gree

Not the most offensive, but I would submit the Deathwing Terminator Captain as the most obnoxious Smash Captain.

-Storm Shield

-Thunder Hammer

-Inner Circle

-Shroud of Heroes

-Inexorable

-Iron Resolve

1+/4++/6+++, 7W, -1 to Hit, -1 Damage, and always on transhuman makes the math hammer on killing him absolutely silly.

Nice. I haven't run him yet, but have seen this build for Flesh Tearers:

Captain in terminator armour

Crimson Plate relic armour (Add 1" to the bearer’s Move characteristic; allows him to advance and charge, and can move up to 4” when making pile-in and consolidation moves)

Twin lightning claws

Give him Imperium's sword and Of Wrath and Rage WL traits.

Give Black Rage

Net result: 4 attacks (base) + 2 for twin LCs (6), + 1 for charge (7), +1 for Imperium's sword (8), +1 for Black Rage (9) and +1 (on average) additional hit from WL trait = 10 attacks on the charge (11 if in assault doctrine via savage echoes).

Each attack is S5, hitting on 2s, +1 to wound (fury within), re-rolling all wounds, 6s to wound would be at AP-3 (AP-4 in assault doctrine), potentially re-rolling all hit rolls if you can use "On the Bridge of the Vengeful Spirit" death vision. 

Edited by XeonDragon

Blood Angels can get a pretty good smash character.

Captain with hammer, make him warlord with Imperium’s Sword and Gift of Foresight. Hammer of Baal relic.

7 attacks (4 base + 1 Shock Assault + 1 Savage Echoes + 1 Imperium’s Sword) in assault doctrine, hitting on 2+ with a single reroll, at S9 which means wounding everything including Knights on a 2+ with a reroll, at AP-4 and 3 damage. With a priest he can be in assault doctrine from T1. Can take a storm shield for added durability or a free inferno pistol for a bit more potential damage. Jump pack and bike both work great for this build.

Of course you still can’t beat the Primaris slaplain, especially as White Scars. Right now that’s the best smash character in the codex - with White Scars he can do up to flat 5 damage.

I'd argue the Chaplain version is riskier since it could fail rolls to use powers that boost himself up, or cost CP and points to do. Still a powerful beast but the Captains are always consistent. Storm Shields granting a 2+ save make a difference too.

Blood Angels and White Scars are pretty much the most fiercest builds.

Can someone remind me of the rules for doubling strength again - I think in 9th modifiers apply before doubling unlike previous editions?