Watch Fortress Sentinel IX

Smoke Frog

Finished my last five Eliminators, all are former Greyshields of the Indomitus Crusade. 

large.warden20230531_greyshieldeliminato

In the words of the Ultimaris Decree:

“Once Guilliman learned of the Deathwatch, he decreed that every chapter of the Ultima Founding tithe a portion of their troops to the Deathwatch. In addition, he personally seconded several chapter’s worth of the newly-minted Primaris marines directly over to the Deathwatch, to serve amidst their ranks permanently.”

Thanks to their service in the Indomitus Crusade, the former greyshields already had decades of experience working alongside their battle brothers of different gene-seed lineages.

These marines retained the grey chevrons of the Unnumbered Sons on their armor plate, to mark them apart from those battle brothers who still retained the loyalty and heritage of their parent chapters.

Marine Name: Sergeant Abohan

Duty Position: Phobos Eliminator armed with instigator bolt carbine and camo cloak

Chapter Name: Greyshield of the Indomitus Crusade, assigned to the Deathwatch by returned primarch Roboute Guilliman

Successor of: Unknown

The idea for using former Greyshields in the ranks of my Watch Fortress came from that paragraph I found on one of the WH40K wikis. I am a bit behind on how far the lore has progressed since the return of Big Bobby G, but I found this line interesting: that several chapters worth of marines were seconded directly to the Deathwatch. 

I kept the grey chevrons on their kneepads and right shoulderpad in the case of the ones where it is actually visible under their cloaks. 

I also decided to give them all names that meant "gray" in different languages. Fun fact that I was reminded of while doing my research: "gray" is the common spelling in the US, while "grey" is more common in nearly all other countries that speak English.

The sergeant of the squad, Sergeant Abohan, was an experiment in attempting a very dark skin tone. Turned out ok, but I need to highlight up a bit more, the actual model is a bit more dull-colored than the picture suggests. 

"Abohan" means gray in Cebuano, a language from the south-western Philippines Island of Cebu.  

Next up is former greyshield Brother Kelabu:

Marine Name: Brother Kelabu

Duty Position: Phobos Eliminator armed with las fusil and camo cloak

Chapter Name: Greyshield of the Indomitus Crusade, assigned to the Deathwatch by returned primarch Roboute Guilliman

"Kelabu" means gray in Malay.

Third on the list is Brother Szary:

Marine Name: Brother Szary

Chapter Name: Greyshield of the Indomitus Crusade, assigned to the Deathwatch by Roboute Guilliman

“Szary” means “grey” in Polish.

Fourth eliminator is Sister Dhusara:

Marine Name: Sister Dhusara

Chapter Name: Greyshield of the Indomitus Crusade, assigned to the Deathwatch by Roboute Guilliman

"Dhusara” means “grey” in Bengali

Dhusara is my latest attempt at using one of the heads from Statuesque minis. From some angles her head looks a bit tiny, I had to sculpt a cloak-collar for her so it looked better on the mini. 

Lastly is the cybernetically-enhanced Brother Nkri:

Marine Name: Brother Nkri

Duty Position: Phobos Eliminator armed with xenos las-carbine (las fusil) and camo cloak

Successor of: Unknown, but suspected Iron Hands gene-seed

“Nkri” means “grey” in Greek.

Out of the bunch Brother Nkri is the only one who I am pretty certain of his gene-seed origin source, that being Iron Hands because when I was putting the resin bits of his body together his leg fell apart. The (terribly crude) replacement leg is all that remains. 

Glad this now allows me to make use of the extra las-carbines that came in my eliminator kit. 

The sergeant uses the instigator bolt carbine that came in the box, while Brother Nkri is delving into some tech heresy.

Very happy with the effort I put into some of the skin tones on these marines. I am still struggling with darker African and Caribbean tones, and I think I am slowly getting better but need more practice. 

Yesterday I finished five Incursors that had languished in an assembled-but-not-painted state for some time. 

large.warden20230604_incursorsquad02.jpg

These marines are all part of my kill team made up of marines from the Astartes Praeses, the marine chapters tasked to guard the outskirts of the Eye of Terror and who (failed to) protect Cadia from the incursions of Abaddon and his Black Crusades.

From left to right: Black Consuls, Marines Exemplar, Brothers Penitent, Night Watch, and the Sons of Malice. 

Starting with the squad leader we have Sergeant Davok from the Black Consuls:

large.warden20230604_incursorsquad15blac

The Black Consuls are the least compromising of the Primogenitor Chapters, brooking no deviation from the tenets laid down in the sacred Codex Astartes. Members of the chapter, whose history is rich with battles won, are stern and uncompromising, with a history of xenophobia and unusually brutal combat tactics for an Ultramarines successor.

The Black Consuls were recorded as completely annihilated at the Siege of Goddeth Hive in 455.M41 by elements of the Word Bearers and the Iron Warriors, however other records point to surviving forces of the Consuls active in the Jericho Reach at the time. This is due in part to the preference of the chapter to deploy kill-team and squad-sized operating forces throughout the galaxy, to include sending battle-brothers to tours of duty in the Deathwatch. It is known the chapter was finally brought back up to full strength upon the conclusion of the Indomitus Crusade.

large.warden20230604_incursorsquad16blac

Marine Name: Sergeant Davok

Duty Position: Phobos Incursor Sergeant armed with occulus bolt carbine and paired combat blades

Chapter Name: Black Consuls (Astartes Praeses)

Successor of: Ultramarines (2nd Founding)

Homeworld: Cyclopia (formerly on the now-destroyed Noctis Obscurum Star Fortress)

large.warden20230604_incursorsquad14blac

Sergeant Davok was a pretty straightforward addition, used one of the transfers I had on hand along with another Statuesque Miniatures head with some incursor-head bits cropped and added to give her the Incursor visor. And of course once I added the visor she immediately reminded me of Geordi Laforge :biggrin:.

Second in the squad is Brother Gordwin of the Marines Exemplar.

large.warden20230604_incursorsquad07mari

During the 13th Black Crusade, the Marines Exemplar fully deployed nine companies of marines to the war effort. Tragically their chapter master Maxim Absolon was struck down and presumed dead when his thunderhawk was shot down on a jungle moon being overrun by Abaddon’s forces. The chapter master is listed as MIA (missing-in-action), and its members still hold out hope that he survived and is active behind enemy lines as they continue to engage the Despoiler’s forces across multiple warzones.

large.warden20230604_incursorsquad08mari

Marine Name: Brother Gordwin

Duty Position: Phobos Incursor armed with occulus bolt carbine and paired combat blades, haywire mine

Chapter Name: Marines Exemplar (Astartes Praeses)

Homeworld: Necris

large.warden20230604_incursorsquad06mari

Brother Gordwin is one of two marines with magnetized arms in this squad, able to swap out for a combat knife after they deploy their haywire mine. 

His chapter heraldry is my best attempt to add detail to an existing space marine transfer, as the one I printed didn't turn out so good. I think it looks better at a distance...

Next in the lineup is Brother Crastus of the Brothers Penitent chapter. 

large.warden20230604_incursorsquad12brot

The Brothers Penitent were formed around a disgraced core of Ultramarines who only partially redeemed themselves for their sin of [RECORDS EXPUNGED], but as punishment were forbidden from ever again donning Ultramar Blue or display the proud symbol of the Ultramarines. Therefore they still wear the inverted Ultramar “U”, to remind them of their previous transgression, and to always drive their perpetual thirst to regain their honor.

large.warden20230604_incursorsquad13brot

Marine Name: Brother Crastus

Duty Position: Phobos Incursor armed with occulus bolt carbine and paired combat blades

Chapter Name: Brothers Penitent

Successor of: presumed Ultramarines

Homeworld: Unknown, located near the Cadian Gate and the Eye of Terror

The info for this chapter is inspired by Brushcommando's thread over on Dakka Dakka, where he fleshed out his take on the color scheme and heraldry of this blank-slate chapter. 

Brother Crastus started out as a Relictor, however I saw I was going to have a hard time fitting the Relictors transfer on his shoulderpad while I was painting him. After a quick google search I came across the Brothers Penitent, who had no chapter symbol… and after another google search I came across Brushcommando’s blog. His scheme was simple- red armor, black shoudlerpads, inverted Ultramarines symbol. 

Now that I think about it I wish I had worked more red into this model aside from just the grenades. 

The fourth incursor of the squad is Brother Norrad of the Night Watch. 

large.warden20230604_incursorsquad10nigh

Posit: It is presumptive the Night Watch are of Ultramarines stock, due to their willingness to work alongside the marines of Macragge on campaign. Several contingents of marines were present during the successful assault and liberation of Augura in the Zeist Campaign of 999.M41. There they served under command of an Ultramrines Second Company task force led by Captain Cato Sicarius to hold back the expansion of the Tau Empire.

Counterpoint: Despite the evidence of the Zeist Campaign, they are known to have simultaneously fielded 11 full companies against the forces of the Despoiler during the 13th Black Crusade (also 999.M41). This would potentially put the Night Watch in direct violation of the Codex Astartes imposed 1000-marine limit; and open them up to censure should ever they come under the Inquisition’s gaze.

large.warden20230604_incursorsquad11nigh

Marine Name: Brother Norrad

Duty Position: Phobos Incursor armed with occulus bolt carbine and paired combat blades, haywire mine.

Chapter Name: Night Watch (Astartes Praeses)

Successor of: Unknown, evidence may point to Ultramarine lineage

Homeworld: Silence

large.warden20230604_incursorsquad09nigh

I am very happy with how this guys chapter symbol came out, I think it is the best heraldry of the squad. 

Very little is written about this chapter aside from some basic info, and that bit of non-codex compliance in the form of over the 10-company limit of marines. Certainly some codex heresy going on. 

I know the little lore of this chapter was made long before Game of Thrones blew up on TV, but does anyone know if the name of this chapter was inspired by Martin's books after they were published? Its probably a coincidence in my opinion.

That being said I like the idea of their lore being based on the members of the Nights Watch from the book: stalwartly defending their icy fortress world alongside the chaotic wilderness of the Eye of Terror and the cold-depths of space. I think another interesting slant could be that their fortress-worlds are themselves nearly entirely deserted save for chapter serfs and menials, and they recruit from a host of far-off worlds that see the tax of recruits for the chapter as either a burden and/or a means to get rid of the scum and criminals of their worlds, with the pretenses and vague vestiges of this being an honorable duty or vocation having abandoned long ago for stark realism and the existential dread of guarding against an ultimately-impossible-to-defend-against foe. I could see plenty of avenues for corruption to be occuring too, or perhaps the marines of the chapter are taking a Lord Huron route to bolstering their defenses at the expense of Imperial Law, in which their excessive liberties in bending the Codex Astartes has only just recently drew the gaze of the Inquisition. 

...and in speaking of corruption, lets talk about marine #5 of the squad, Brother Lector of the Sons of Malice!

large.warden20230604_incursorsquad18sons

Cannibalism, while abhorrent to most citizens of the Imperium, is not an uncommon occurrence within the ranks of the Adeptus Astartes.

Indeed thanks to the Omophagea implants, a marine may literally “learn by eating” the flesh and brain matter of a foe, to gain some measure of genetic information or memory of an enemy. Chapters borne from the Blood Angels were rumored to frequently partake in these whispered, barbaric practices, and the former marines who later became the Sons of Malice were no exception.

But when Inquisitor Solomon Pietas, a member of the Ordos Hereticus accompanied the chapter to Cilix 225, he was horrified by the behavior of the marines and believed they had already succumbed to a chaotic taint. Immediately rebuking their chapter master, Solomon sent word of the chapter’s transgressions to holy Terra to censure the chapter.

Ironically it was this very act and the harrowing accusations of heresy that followed that eventually forced the chapter’s hand. By the time the incoming extermination fleets arrived it was already too late. Their homeworld of Scelus was set ablaze and the chapter was routed; the survivors were driven into the Eye of Terror, the injustice of their treatment by the Imperium driving them into the arms of the enemy for whom they had been created to defend against. 

large.warden20230604_incursorsquad19sons

Marine Name: Brother Lector

Duty Position: Phobos Incursor armed with occulus bolt carbine and paired combat blades

Chapter Name: Sons of Malice (Astartes Praeses, declared Excommunicate Tratoris. Original chapter name is unknown)

Successor of: Unknown, possibly Blood Angels but this claim is unsubstantiated

Homeworld: formerly Scelus (destroyed), currently the space hulk Labyrinth believed to be adrift in the Eye of Terror

large.warden20230604_incursorsquad17sons

Brother Lector has the face only a mother could love. Also I really wanted to use this helmet ever since I built my Techmarine ages ago. 

I do wish I had picked some larger skulls to use for his heraldry, but it was enough of a pain to get the transfers to this state so I am not changing them. 

Lore wise this is one of the chapters of the Astartes Praesus guarding the Eye of Terror that went traitor. According to the wiki this chapter had its original name erased and have fully turned to chaos, so potentially this marine had joined the deathwatch prior to his parent chapter's fall. I could have made him another blackshield but I wanted to maintain the motif of a half-black and half-white skull. 

Cool fact about the chapter is that they fight in utter silence. Considering Brother Lector looks like he has had most of his face replaced with cybernetic parts he may have had his vocal cords removed too, and now during the few times he actually does speak his voice is nothing but a cold, metallic robot voice. 

And of course since his parent chapter fell to chaos after cannibalism made them go crazy, I decided to name him after a rather famous cannibal from modern cinema. 

Thats all for now, I have four more infiltrators to complete before this kill team is entirely finished. Here are all six incursors I have finished, along with Brother Bedovard of the Knights Unyielding that I already had painted:

large.warden20230604_incursorsquad01.jpg

My last four Infiltrators are finally complete:

large.warden20230607_infiltrators01.jpg.

This means I have finally finished both my extra box of infiltrators, but also that infiltrator starting box. Basically all the phobos marines are done save for my Phobos Librarian. 

Sergeant Fabian of the Subjugators:

large.warden20230607_infiltrators02subju

Known for their zealotry that rivals their genetic cousins, the Black Templars, the Subjugators are infamous for their extreme and unsubtle methods of warfare. There are numerous documented occasions where the Subjugators have liberated a conquered Imperial world at the cost of its entire population. Despite this, while the Subjugators methods may be costly, they are also spectacularly effective.

large.warden20230607_infiltrators06subju

Marine Name: Sergeant Fabian

Duty Position: Phobos Infiltrator Sergeant armed with marksmen bolt carbine

Chapter Name: Subjugators (Astartes Praeses)

Successor of: Imperial Fists (23rd or 24th Founding)

Homeworld: Xenax

large.warden20230607_infiltrators04subju

Since this Spectrus Kill Team was designed with the intent of each member hailing from one of the Astartes Praeses chapters, this marine is a member of the Subjugators.

The Astartes Prases are stationed around and assigned to protect from incursions out of the Eye of Terror, numbering some 20 chapters of which only 14 are actually named in the wiki. The idea for this organization originated from Leman Russ, who after the Second Founding hoped to ring the Eye of Terror with chapters born from his legion. When his successor experiment the Wolf Brothers failed spectacularly this dream fell apart, until centuries later when the Astartes Praeses order was enacted.

large.warden20230607_infiltrators03subju

I enjoyed painting this mini; I know he is the bog-standard one right out of the box but I think he has a lot of character. Enjoyed working a Imperial Fist transfer and turning it into a Subjugator too.

The second infiltrator of the squad is Brother Seben of the Iron Talons.

large.warden20230607_infiltrators07iront

This fearsome chapter is noted for appearing barbarous-looking, as its battle-brothers have a morbid tendency to drape their enemies’ flayed skin on their battle-plate. They share their forefather’s battle lust and aggressive style of warfare, but questions have begun to surface regarding the stability of their gene-seed and the rumors of the sheer savagery of their conduct in battle.

large.warden20230607_infiltrators10iront

Marine Name: Brother Seben

Duty Position: Phobos Infiltrator armed with marksmen bolt carbine

Chapter Name: Iron Talons (Astartes Praeses)

Successor of: believed to be White Scars, possibly 3rd Founding

Homeworld: Unknown, presumed to be located near the Eye of Terror

large.warden20230607_infiltrators09iront

This marine uses one of my last Storm Claws heads I have had sitting in my bits box for ages. I think he captures the barbaric feel in the little lore that does exist about this chapter.

I also enjoyed an article I found written by Algrim Whitefang for an alternate history of this chapter. 

large.warden20230607_infiltrators08iront

Edited by Smoke Frog
meant to add more pictures

The third member of the squad is Brother Harrath of the White Consuls.

large.warden20230607_infiltrators11white

What makes a hero is not only his actions on the battlefield. A Space Marine is judged by his battle-brothers and by the Emperor Himself, both for the strength of his arm and the strength of his purpose. –Brother Captain Longinus of the White Consuls

large.warden20230607_infiltrators14white

Marine Name: Brother Harrath

Chapter Name: White Consuls (Astartes Praeses)

Successor of: Ultramarines (2nd Founding)

Homeworld: Sabatine (conquered by the Lords of Silence Heretic Astartes)

large.warden20230607_infiltrators13white

Very straightforward marine to do, but I am decently happy with how the heraldry transfer applied. I should probably buy some microset. 

I think its hilarious that the Black Consuls have a white bird and the White Consults have a blue bird as their heraldic symbol of choice.

large.warden20230607_infiltrators20theco

Fourth and final phobos marine is Brother Astroval of the Angels Eradicant.

large.warden20230607_infiltrators15angel

In late M41 the Angels Eradicant executed the cleansing of the Revenant Rex, a supermassive space-hulk infested with Orks at Theta Reticuli. The chapter suffered a high number of casualties during the engagement, though after the conclusion several of their most accomplished veterans were seconded to the Deathwatch to bring their xenos-fighting abilities to bear upon battlefields across the wider galaxy.

large.warden20230607_infiltrators19angel

Marine Name: Brother Astroval

Chapter Name: Angels Eradicant (Astartes Praeses)

Successor of: Dark Angels

Homeworld: Unknown

large.warden20230607_infiltrators16angel

I enjoyed painting this marine; tied with the Subjugator for my favorite infiltrator of this batch. 

My notes said to paint a "red cross" on his knee, but after I went back to check my reference photo I realized the cross was supposed to be more of a saltire (an "x"). Oops, but it looks good so too late to change it now!

Here are the four new infiltrators along with their medic and communications support specialists:

large.warden20230607_infiltrators21infil

Heraldry right to left: Subjugators, Iron Talons, White Consuls, Angels Eradicant, Excoriators, and the Crimson Scythes

large.warden20230607_infiltrators22infil

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2023 at 6:38 PM, Smoke Frog said:

The second infiltrator of the squad is Brother Seben of the Iron Talons.

large.warden20230607_infiltrators07iront

This fearsome chapter is noted for appearing barbarous-looking, as its battle-brothers have a morbid tendency to drape their enemies’ flayed skin on their battle-plate. They share their forefather’s battle lust and aggressive style of warfare, but questions have begun to surface regarding the stability of their gene-seed and the rumors of the sheer savagery of their conduct in battle.

large.warden20230607_infiltrators10iront

Marine Name: Brother Seben

Chapter Name: Iron Talons (Astartes Praeses)

Successor of: believed to be White Scars, possibly 3rd Founding

Homeworld: Unknown, presumed to be located near the Eye of Terror

large.warden20230607_infiltrators09iront

This marine uses one of my last Storm Claws heads I have had sitting in my bits box for ages. I think he captures the barbaric feel in the little lore that does exist about this chapter.

I also enjoyed an article I found written by Algrim Whitefang for an alternate history of this chapter. 

Interesting take. What made you go with that their skin drappings were from skinned enemies? 

Also, where did you get the concept that there are questions regarding the stability of their gene-seed from? Or is it canon lore I have missed?

What's your inspiration for his name? I have worked a bit by myself with some Iron Talon lore and whent with old hebrew names, since they are mentioned to have guttural accents and hebrew is a guttural language. 

If you plan to do any more Iron Talons can I say that Kruleboyz' kilts are really good base for skin-drappings.

Edited by Gamiel

On 6/21/2023 at 4:45 AM, Gamiel said:

Interesting take. What made you go with that their skin drappings were from skinned enemies? 

Also, where did you get the concept that there are questions regarding the stability of their gene-seed from? Or is it canon lore I have missed?

What's your inspiration for his name? I have worked a bit by myself with some Iron Talon lore and whent with old hebrew names, since they are mentioned to have guttural accents and hebrew is a guttural language. 

If you plan to do any more Iron Talons can I say that Kruleboyz' kilts are really good base for skin-drappings.

Thanks! The lore blurb is actually from two sources, one canon and the other fan-made. 

The part about questions about stability of the gene seed is from Algrim Whitefang's homebrew article on the Iron Talons in an alternate 40K timeline. Really cool stuff, but I haven't read too deeply into the timeline lore itself, not sure if it is a "fill the gap" piece or more divergent from the canon. I actually read this article first by mistake before I realized it wasn't the official lore, but I enjoyed the article so much I kept a bit of it in my own lore blurb (apologies for the heresy!!! :biggrin:).

But the skin draped over their power armor and their "barbarous appearance" are on both the wiki and the lexicanum articles on the chapter (sources from the Dark Creed novel by Anthony Reynolds apparently). That's how I found out they were not only members of the Astartes Praeses but also successors of the White Scars, not the Iron Hands like I originally assumed Kind of like the Crimson Talons, Red Talons, and the Brazen Claws since all their heraldry looked similar. But I was proven wrong, and that worked out because it gave me a good excuse to use the old Space Wolf head.  Good point on the kruelboyz kits; I didn't have the energy to graft any skin onto this dudes armor this time around. 

The name inspiration is a rather silly source... its how my 3-year-old says "seven" and that is what she called the marine while I was painting him. :biggrin: By coincidence, in real life apparently it also means either "why" or "reason" in Turkish. 

I didn't notice the "guttural" language before, using some old Hebrew names would have been a really good idea! 

5 hours ago, Smoke Frog said:

But the skin draped over their power armor and their "barbarous appearance" are on both the wiki and the lexicanum articles on the chapter (sources from the Dark Creed novel by Anthony Reynolds apparently).

I was thinking of the part where their draping were from their skinned enemies, since that's not something mentioned in Dark Creed, they are only described as being draped in skin, and that could just as well be animal skin as human, or xeno skin (and for the little description we get could it be put together in that simple style we see Kruleboyz use (and is used in many fantasy settings to illustrate barbarians/savages) or fine crafted things similar to Native American buckskin finery - or it could even still be fur on it since we say sheepskin even when talking about sheepfur for all we know).

5 hours ago, Smoke Frog said:

I didn't notice the "guttural" language before, using some old Hebrew names would have been a really good idea! 

My thinking about the Iron Talons right now is that they are Sword & Sorcery Cimmerians (the Iron part and them being barbaric made me think of the Conan movie with it's smithing) with Hebrew-ish nomenclature and traditions (was thinking of using Hebrew letters for some kind of markings also). Me having some necron bits that I didn't know what to do with also gave me the ide that their homeworld is a Necron Tombworld (or at least had some necron precense) - this makes it a bit more resilient against the Warp, which would make it a good place near the Eye for the Imperium to colonise - but the Talons don't know that and believe the Necron weapons/items they use are just archeotech (the old Egypt feel of the Necron bits also fits with the old Hebrew concept). I was thinking that their homeworld is a Hive World and they recruit from the techno-barbarians that lives in the forested lands between the Hives and the metalworker-tribes in the Hives. But that’s just my ideas.

On 6/24/2023 at 3:24 AM, Gamiel said:

My thinking about the Iron Talons right now is that they are Sword & Sorcery Cimmerians (the Iron part and them being barbaric made me think of the Conan movie with it's smithing) with Hebrew-ish nomenclature and traditions (was thinking of using Hebrew letters for some kind of markings also). Me having some necron bits that I didn't know what to do with also gave me the ide that their homeworld is a Necron Tombworld (or at least had some necron precense) - this makes it a bit more resilient against the Warp, which would make it a good place near the Eye for the Imperium to colonise - but the Talons don't know that and believe the Necron weapons/items they use are just archeotech (the old Egypt feel of the Necron bits also fits with the old Hebrew concept). I was thinking that their homeworld is a Hive World and they recruit from the techno-barbarians that lives in the forested lands between the Hives and the metalworker-tribes in the Hives. But that’s just my ideas.

Wow there is a lot of cool stuff here. It reminds me a bit of the Enlightened Sons fanmade chapter (apparently also written by the Enlightend Sons :biggrin:). They are a chapter with strong ties to their parent chapter the Imperial Fists and the Deathwatch, and seem to be also deeply involved with the Ordos Xenos of the Inqisition and with some Xenarite heretics of the Adeptus Mechanicus (the ones who really love alien tech). They live on an ice planet with a necron-tomb world underneath, and regularily use their tech to both fight them and their other enemies. How they haven't been censured yet is a problem I dont think the author has thought through yet.

That being said, I love the take on the Iron Talons being completely ignorant of the fact they are not only sitting atop a dormant tomb-world, but are regularly using technology gained from it believing it is ancient Human tech. And the techno-barbarians with a Conan vibe would also be really cool; I can imagine them fighting for survival in the wastelands against monstrous beasts as well as zombie-robot skeletons with equal abandon. The ignorance behind what they are doing feels very Imperium to me; and unless they came across a true expert noone would be around to tell them that they are not simply fighting the remains of some ancient Human tech, but actually some vile heretical xenos tech. 

Which makes me think: if an Iron Talon was sent to the Deathwatch, would that be a huge crisis of faith for the marine in question? If they were indoctrinated from birth as a techno-barbarian and later a neophyte believing the tools they have been using much of their lives were ancient Human heirlooms, an arrival at the Deathwatch would be a rude awakening when they discovered the truth. Could they even bring this information back to their parent chapter? Would they be exiled, or seek out self-exile to cope with their belief structure being completely shattered? 

14 hours ago, Smoke Frog said:

Which makes me think: if an Iron Talon was sent to the Deathwatch, would that be a huge crisis of faith for the marine in question? If they were indoctrinated from birth as a techno-barbarian and later a neophyte believing the tools they have been using much of their lives were ancient Human heirlooms, an arrival at the Deathwatch would be a rude awakening when they discovered the truth. Could they even bring this information back to their parent chapter? Would they be exiled, or seek out self-exile to cope with their belief structure being completely shattered? 

"What are you saying brother? Are you insulting my weapon's machine-spirit by implying that it's soulless xeno-heretek? Yes, my relic khopesh is similar to the ones used by the Necron lords, but by that... what's the world… logic, would your chain-rapier also be xeno-tech since it's similar to the swords used by the Eldar Striking Scorpions."

• 2 months later...
On 02.07.2021 at 19:07, Smoke Frog said:

Пришло время создать мою армию Караула Смерти. Во-первых, немного истории об одной из сторожевых крепостей, которые я раньше видел в вики, поэтому я собираюсь высказать свое мнение.

галерея_103048_17072_4179.png

Смотреть Fortress Sentinel IX

Сентинел IX — бывшая космическая станция Эльдар-Хейвен-Шпиль, ныне занятая Караулом Смерти в качестве сторожевой крепости.

галерея_103048_17086_16160.jpg

Предполагаемый снимок Сентиннеля IX до его захвата силами Империи и Караула Смерти.

Расположение:

Сентинел IX расположен в системе Гамма Ориона, звезде, расположенной на стыке нескольких недавно открытых стабильных торговых путей варпа. Ранее Шпиль Хейвен и система были заражены грязными эльдарами, в том числе флотом пиратов, известных как Корсары Беллатрисы. Эльдар были изгнаны из системы Караулом Смерти в прошлые столетия, хотя угроза будущих набегов остается чрезвычайно высокой.

галерея_103048_17086_231059.png

Планета Банджан Майор

Sentinel IX вращается вокруг планеты Большой Банджан; большой мир смерти, окруженный астероидами, с несколькими различными биомами, включая океаны, леса, равнины, знойные пустыни, экваториальные джунгли и полярные ледяные шапки. Многие из более суровых условий и опасной мегафауны используются в тренировках ветеранами «Паути Смерти». Древние нашествия эльдар были нейтрализованы, хотя руины все еще остались и теперь населены людьми-колонистами, многие из которых являются потомками поселенцев, которые, как полагают, находятся под пятой своих ксеносов -угнетателей. Человеческое население обеспечивает как припасы, так и рекрутов для стражи крепости СПО и крепостных.

Структура Sentinel IX Haven Spire:

Шпиль Хейвен, вращающийся внутри колец Большого Банджана, представляет собой гигантскую космическую станцию эльдарского происхождения, ныне завоеванную Империумом и модернизированную большим количеством вооружения и технологий Механикус. Пять больших солнечных парусов улавливают энергию, которая обеспечивает электроэнергией саму станцию, а многие батареи эльдарского копья были перепрофилированы Караулом Смерти для защиты станции. Многие стыковочные порты были модернизированы для космических кораблей Империума и включают в себя причальные доки для большого флота ударных крейсеров Сторожевой Крепости. Широкий набор датчиков обеспечивает постоянный поток данных, которые дежурные сервиторы обрабатывают на предмет любых намеков на присутствие ксеносов внутри системы или в окружающей пустоте.

Станцией управляет большое количество подчиненных крепостных, техников, оружейников и слуг, а также несколько тысяч сервиторов.

Структура компании Watch Fortress:

Sentinel IX Watch Fortress является домом для четырех рот, насчитывающих примерно 200 морских пехотинцев в полной численности, не считая офицеров и вспомогательного персонала. В состав рот номинально входит 50 морских пехотинцев, включая командный состав и специалистов.

В состав каждой роты входят один капитан, два лейтенанта и один старший сержант-ветеран роты. Каждая рота состоит из четырех истребительных групп численностью до десяти морских пехотинцев, каждая из которых возглавляется сержантом, состав которых варьируется в зависимости от роты (отряды Индомитора, Спектруса, Фортиса или Терминатора).

Посмотрите Крепостную геральдику:

Ветераны Sentinel IX лишь незначительно отличаются от стандартной цветовой схемы Караула Смерти. Все морские пехотинцы перекрашивают свою броню в черный цвет по прибытии в сторожевую крепость, за исключением правого наплечника, который остается исходным цветом компании, и левой руки, которая перекрашивается в цвет стали. Вместо того, чтобы красить оружие, полосы или другие маркировки в красный цвет, силы Sentinel IX используют зеленый цвет.

Сюда входит маркировка компании, представляющая собой варианты черного и зеленого цветов.

галерея_103048_17086_13257.png

Маркировка компании Sentinel IX

Раскраска шлемов морских пехотинцев Караула Смерти Sentinel IX следующая:

Ветераны - черный шлем

Сержанты-ветераны — черный шлем, зеленая полоса, серебряный череп.

Лейтенант - черный шлем, зеленая полоса с белыми краями, череп серебряный.

Капитан-черный шлем, золотой череп.

галерея_103048_17086_72813.png

Расцветка шлема Sentinel IX

Крепостные неморского экипажа:

В состав крепостных, приписанных к крепости, входит когорта из примерно 4000 крепостных, приписанных непосредственно к самой морской пехоте. В обязанности входит, помимо прочего, уход за жилыми помещениями, броней, оружием, едой и техническим обслуживанием.

Кроме того, существует формальный штат экипажа станции Шпиль Хейвен, насчитывающий более 10 000 крепостных, ответственных за эксплуатацию и контроль станции, технических адептов, назначенных Механикус, церковного и инквизиторского персонала, медицинского персонала и вторичного персонала обороны станции.

Эта оценка не включает в себя сервиторов, выполняющих большую часть физической работы на станции, которые сами могут быть жестко подключены к станции для максимальной эффективности.

Поддержка Механикус:

Командиры Дозора Сентинела IX уже давно могут запрашивать высочайший уровень поддержки и вооружения у Адептус Механикус и поддерживать большое присутствие техножрецов и адептов в рядах вспомогательного персонала ордена. Большую часть поддержки орден получает от мира-кузницы Риза, но по необходимости они, как правило, являются наиболее радикальными элементами мира-кузницы из-за большого количества ксенос- технологий , попавших в инвентарь крепости.

...снимает лор-шапку...

Очень жду эту армию. Мне было очень весело собирать модели и немного лора. Давно не было морских пехотинцев, так что примарис — это большое изменение. План состоит в том, чтобы сделать всю армию примарисами (за исключением нескольких транспортных средств) с множеством вариантов для истребительных команд, используя модели примарисов вместо первенцев морской пехоты.

Текущие планы армейского списка:

• штаб-квартира
    • Наблюдайте за капитаном — молот или ксенофазный клинок со штормовым щитом и прыжковым рюкзаком.
    • Лейтенант Примарис со штормовым щитом/силовым мечом
    • Примарис Библиотекарь - силовой меч
  • Войска
    • Команда Фортис — сержант с силовым мечом, х4 заступниками (штурм) и адскими бластерами (штурм).
    • Команда Фортис — сержант с силовым мечом, заступниками x4 (сталкер) и адскими бластерами (тяжелые)
  • Элиты
    • Отряд «Агрессор» — рукавицы-болтерштормы и осколочные гранатометы.
    • Аптека Примарис
  • Fast- Thunderstrike Stormspeeder (можно обменять на Hammerstrike)
  • Тяжелый зенитный танк «Сталкер» (можно поменять на «Охотник»)

Это то, что у меня сейчас есть под рукой, нужно начать с малого, прежде чем я потрачу слишком много! Я хотел бы расшириться до полноценной истребительной команды Индомитора с несколькими тяжелыми заступниками и несколькими истребительными группами Спектруса. Также надеюсь получить вахтенного командира и еще нескольких офицеров, а также несколько новых дредноутов.

Судя по тому, что я читал, транспортные средства не кажутся лучшим вариантом для морских пехотинцев и Караула смерти в частности, но мне нравится Сталкер, так что это был автоматический выбор для меня (надо как-то получить эту защиту от дронов!), И мне также нравится новый спидер варианты тоже, даже если они по сути представляют собой летающий кирпич. Надеюсь, они смогут стать быстродействующей жертвенной противотанковой огневой мощью.

Далее будут фотографии армейской сборки и мои первые попытки нарисовать морскую пехоту за более чем десять лет.

Hello Brother

I have one question.

What information about this fortress did you glean from the sources of GW, and what did you come up with yourself?

The thing is that I came up with a story for my Deathwatch a long time ago, but I have a completely fictional guard fortress.

Looking at your design, I thought about doing something similar.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2023 at 4:13 PM, Lordazon said:

Hello Brother

I have one question.

What information about this fortress did you glean from the sources of GW, and what did you come up with yourself?

The thing is that I came up with a story for my Deathwatch a long time ago, but I have a completely fictional guard fortress.

Looking at your design, I thought about doing something similar.

Hey thanks!

I couldn't find any canon information on Sentinel IX on the internet anywhere. One of the members of Kill Team Cassius (the Iron Hands guy) apparently was from the watch fortress at some point, but that's all the info I have ever seen.

My inspiration for my take on Sentinel IX actually came from one of my favorite Star Trek series (Deep Space Nine). Hence why it's a space station that was originally built by the Cardassians/Eldar until ownership was transferred peacefully/conquered by the Federation/Imperim. 

1 hour ago, Terminatorinhell said:

God what a cool thread, lots of great paint schemes. I'm a big fan of the helix adepts too. 

Wow, high praise! I have been mostly painting Infinity this year, but I am looking forward to (eventually) assembling and painting up a squad of terminators.