Ork Combat Patrol

Marshal Loss

I do hope the Warboss in the box comes with more options than just the axe; I always liked the look of a Power Claw and Big Shoota.

Just the axe on his profile so it looks like there’s only that in the kit, sadly.

Very unfortunate. Though the quality of character models is great these days, their lack of options regarding their equipment is troubling.

The cynic in me would say it's down to the 3rd party stuff. The artel w warboss is lovely but has a claw.

This one has a mahoosive axe only - immediately invalidates the artel w warboss... Reasonable people won't be bothered but I fear it's a cynical IP protection attempt.

I haven’t reviewed EVERY dataslate/profile, but it would appear that only Nobz of various (but not all) stripes can have a power klaw.

My assumption is they don’t want infantry striking at greater than strength 10 without buffs. This is a huge assumption, that they care about such things in the game, so that’s kinda just conjecture.

What isn’t conjecture are the new beastsnagga claws that add strength to = 10 and no greater, such as the beast boss. Has the -1 to hit, as well.

New mega choppa boss is “only” strength 9 with no negative modifier.

I do hope this is the combat patrol set. I think this is the only way I will be willing to put any money into Nu-Boys. I like the new Deff Koptas and these boxes seem like a good value to me I found the Space Marine ones at a fair discount online so I will think on it and it wont hurt me. I guess I could get two but I can't see a third, although I could then field 9 Deff Dreads... 
For as much as I don't care for the Beast Snagas I hope they do a Snaggas Patrol box as well. 

I haven’t reviewed EVERY dataslate/profile, but it would appear that only Nobz of various (but not all) stripes can have a power klaw.

My assumption is they don’t want infantry striking at greater than strength 10 without buffs. This is a huge assumption, that they care about such things in the game, so that’s kinda just conjecture.

What isn’t conjecture are the new beastsnagga claws that add strength to = 10 and no greater, such as the beast boss. Has the -1 to hit, as well.

New mega choppa boss is “only” strength 9 with no negative modifier.

Seems about right if I am understanding correctly.  I think it has to do with the extra aura buffs and potential volume of attacks and hits, a sort of counter balance to that. 

Still it's easier to be an Ork now than it has been in a long time, even with the nerfs this codex seems to have plopped on us. 

Edited by Warhead01

I just had a look at the Marine and Necron codexes. The combat patrols they show are not the contents of the combat patrol boxes that came out. In fact no miniatures are in both. The codexes show Indomitus models plus the Invader and Doomstalker, whereas both the actual boxes contain a load of old stuff.

Of course, that may not be the case for orks. These books came out before there were any combat patrol boxes, so maybe they weren't designed to advertise the box.

I just had a look at the Marine and Necron codexes. The combat patrols they show are not the contents of the combat patrol boxes that came out. In fact no miniatures are in both. The codexes show Indomitus models plus the Invader and Doomstalker, whereas both the actual boxes contain a load of old stuff.

Of course, that may not be the case for orks. These books came out before there were any combat patrol boxes, so maybe they weren't designed to advertise the box.

You answered your own question. Every single combat patrol since has matched the codex entry

With regards the necron/ marines iirc theirs even states about Indomitus/ core sets.

EVERY codex since it matches up. Add in the fact the ork one says "from the contents of the ork combat patrol box". It's a question of when, not if

Beginning of the second paragraph in the picture on the first page: "Created from the contents of the Combat Patrol: Orks boxed set [...]"

With regards the necron/ marines iirc theirs even states about Indomitus/ core sets.

EVERY codex since it matches up. Add in the fact the ork one says "from the contents of the ork combat patrol box". It's a question of when, not if

Ok great. In that case it really does just look like a really good box set.

This is a shockingly well balanced army to start the hobby with. A heavy hitting character, a massed infantry horde, a fast vehicle squadron, and a piece of solid armor. This can be expanded into any kind of army build (and Orks have a LOT of choices in that regard). I haven't paid too much attention to the other boxes, but this one at least you could very easily hand to a beginner and have them feel like they have a lot of strategy and options to work with. Definitely looking forward to filling out the core of my new force with this. Edited by nanosquid

I haven't had an Ork army since Waaaaaargh!The Ork was a thing, that is about to change.

Welcome back!

What has convinced you to come back?

With regard the combat patrol, it really is solid and will offer a lot of fun at lower point as well as a solid core to build on

I haven't had an Ork army since Waaaaaargh!The Ork was a thing, that is about to change.

It'll be a good break from painting Dark Angels/Green..... 

Time for a homage to Storm of Vengeance? 

Hm, I already have tons of boyz, love my warboss from Black Reach (with power klaw) to death and already have 6 deff koptaz from said Black Reach set.

But as others have said - if I get new boyz, this might be the way to go. Because I really like the warboss sculpt with that grot turret and I actually don't own a deff dread. I'd just have to sell the deff koptaz, I haven't ever really used all the ones I already own. I'd rather use more bikes or buggies. Anyways, good time for the orks. Can't wait for those Kommandoz!

Hm, I already have tons of boyz, love my warboss from Black Reach (with power klaw) to death and already have 6 deff koptaz from said Black Reach set.

But as others have said - if I get new boyz, this might be the way to go. Because I really like the warboss sculpt with that grot turret and I actually don't own a deff dread. I'd just have to sell the deff koptaz, I haven't ever really used all the ones I already own. I'd rather use more bikes or buggies. Anyways, good time for the orks. Can't wait for those Kommandoz!

I'm actually considering trying to sell my old Deffkoptas before this box comes out. Then buy two of this box to give me 20 new boyz, 6 koptas, I've got multiple Dreads already, but the bits are great for other things, and then turn the extra Warboss into a Big Mech in Mega Armor since the current one is just a repurposed Mechnob.

Just super happy to see Orks getting so much new model love this edition.

I'm actually considering trying to sell my old Deffkoptas before this box comes out. Then buy two of this box to give me 20 new boyz, 6 koptas, I've got multiple Dreads already, but the bits are great for other things, and then turn the extra Warboss into a Big Mech in Mega Armor since the current one is just a repurposed Mechnob.

Just super happy to see Orks getting so much new model love this edition.

40 :p it's a great time for orks for sure. I really can't wait to get my hands on the kommandos

• 1 month later...

Yee-owch, looks like the new Boyz really are stuck with a single weapon option. Glad they're keeping the old ones around for at least a little while, it's gonna be real hard to be a new greenskin player as soon as these become standard...