Blade Guard Paint Recipe by Max Faleij

BitsHammer

Speaking of Artis Opus' video... Here's a question, having watched this video I quite like the result, but I'm not sure regarding the colours. Specifically Huldra Blue, as I cannot get it at all.

Anyone know what's a good GW equivalent?

Edit: also, I feel this thread should be pinned or in the resources thread due to all the paint scheme help in it

Best I could find is the thought that Huldra Blue might be close to Incubi Darkness or Sotek Green. I coudn't find a compatability chart. I'll try and find out though and post here if I find anything.

Yeah... Compatibility charts are problematic. The issue is the one that I normally use from DakkaDakka is incomplete (per the person who was doing it, they got exhausted and haven't put the rest of the Scale75 colours in it :laugh.:). But yeah, I was thinking something like Incubi Darkness, Sotek Green or Stegadon Scale Green.

I tagged Artist Opus on Twitter, so I'll share here if they have recommendations.

Update on this: Went to my local GW and asked there, and also had an image of Huldra Blue from Scale75. Turns out it seems Night Lords Blue was the closest in terms of colour and saturation.

I’m going to be testing this method, as I really don’t like edge highlighting:

Pigment from green stuff world.

Did not like the result at all FWIW; Kind of a fringe thing that I thought was worth trying so I didn’t have to edge highlight 30+ Models. But oh well! Very much like the video linked above.

I’m going to be testing this method, as I really don’t like edge highlighting:

Pigment from green stuff world.

Did not like the result at all FWIW; Kind of a fringe thing that I thought was worth trying so I didn’t have to edge highlight 30+ Models. But oh well! Very much like the video linked above.

Im interested in how that pigment looks over a light grey zenithal highlight.

Not on Youtube, but in general its a dark grey base color and then glazed up to a light grey and glazed down to black to create a gradient across the sword. Most of the time it's blue-greys and then once the gradient is established there's a light white-blue highlight. That's how the Azrael blade (which is supposed to be black, obsidian-like) is done.

99060101324_AzraelNEW_01.jpg

I've had a crack, well, two and have stripped to start again.

The tricky thing about the blade is it's hexagonal shaped in the cross section. The blade is pretty easy to work out. (I'm going for a almost NMM blue-black look) so I can work that out on the blade edges, but the flats with the writing are throwing me off.

And how people manage to edge highlight the text is a mystery!

I tried finding a GW tutorial (maybe it was in a WD) for Dark Angels power swords because I recall they where monochromatic and would likely be a good reference, but I can not for the life of me find the tutorial.

Anyone seen any good black sword guides?

Does it have to be monochromatic? (black-grey) or can it have colour?

True metalics or NMM?

Are layered, wet-blended, dry-brushed, contrast techniques acceptable?

I'm happy with colour, I think it adds a lot, NMM Curious, not a big wet blender. GSOH.

Anyone seen any good black sword guides?

Does it have to be monochromatic? (black-grey) or can it have colour?

True metalics or NMM?

Are layered, wet-blended, dry-brushed, contrast techniques acceptable?

I'm happy with colour, I think it adds a lot, NMM Curious, not a big wet blender. GSOH.

Tangible Day has a very nice and basic NMM sword tutorial, using the loaded brush technique. It starts near-grayscale with just two colors: warm tinted dark gray and off-white. Once gradients are established you can then use inks for colour, as desired.

other painters to investigate are Vince Venturella, JuanHidalgo, Artis Opus, Kris Belleau, Sam Lenz, Squidmar, Zumikito. (these are my personal Go to people on the tube)

If we're talking swords, all I can offer is my personal recipe which was used to create the entire army... but the swords just have more of a gradient and more white added:

EC-close.jpg?w=717&ssl=1

This is a super zoom in of course.... but you get the idea.

Mostly just a base of Black + Vallejo Turqoise. Keep adding white. Go back to black as needed, and you're done. 

The idea is the same whether you use an airbrush or paint brush. It just takes a little longer with a brush. For refining the look with either method, I recommend making a glaze out of the 3 main colours and it really helps define the pattern. 

Edited by Prot

It's hard to get a proper reflection on a flat blade like that, especially for people new to the whole light theory and gradient thing. It's especially hard with trying to keep it as readably black while simulating a reflective surface.

Great job for your first shot at it.

Stuff

Here's a question. Does Infernal Brush (or his discord) have a method for doing the red outer cloaks that is on the Marshal and Sword Brother from the kit?

Asking because I want to do those as well on mine.

Stuff

Here's a question. Does Infernal Brush (or his discord) have a method for doing the red outer cloaks that is on the Marshal and Sword Brother from the kit?

Asking because I want to do those as well on mine.

Not that I can find no. 

Do I seem to be the only one that doesn't like the blue-tinted highlights? From most of my observations of black in the natural world, blue only features minimally. I prefer the more shades of grey highlighting, almost like the Duncan Rhodes video.