Blade Guard Paint Recipe by Max Faleij

BitsHammer

Do I seem to be the only one that doesn't like the blue-tinted highlights? From most of my observations of black in the natural world, blue only features minimally. I prefer the more shades of grey highlighting, almost like the Duncan Rhodes video.

I prefer grey as well. I think blue-black is more appropriate for Raven Guard. However, I do like using blue-greys as the mid-tone. 

Do I seem to be the only one that doesn't like the blue-tinted highlights? From most of my observations of black in the natural world, blue only features minimally. I prefer the more shades of grey highlighting, almost like the Duncan Rhodes video.

I prefer grey as well. I think blue-black is more appropriate for Raven Guard. However, I do like using blue-greys as the mid-tone. 

I can see that, but a lot of those vids keep showing shades of blue with a small grey for final highlight. I personally just don't see it as... well, right. It's just my opinion, and I'm sure someone will say it stinks like some unnamed body part. 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

(sorry to bump this thread but)

So with the discontinuation of Cryptek Armourshade Gloss, anyone got recommendations for a replacement for the recipe on the first page?

Also can a mod (or T14, since it's their post) add this to the Black Templar Resources thread in the Painting Black Templars section? Pretty please?

Edited by Gederas

I'll be honest, the recipe on page one differs from the recipe I got from somewhere else (I can't remember now) which was also allegedly from Max Feleij on how to paint the brass chest eagles.

That recipe was:

• Runelord Brass base
  • Shaded with watered down Wyldwood contrast
  • Highlighted with 1:1 Runelord Brass/Stormhost Silver
  • Extreme highlight of Stormhost Silver

On 10/31/2021 at 3:04 PM, SWORD BROTHER RYAN said:

I think this comes from GW specifically.  When painting a lot of black on a mini, they sometimes choose to lean into blues for "good guys" and into red for "bad guys"

Hence why contrast black templar is a little blue, and contrast black legion seams to be almost just a rediculously dark brown.

15 hours ago, Brother Adelard said:

I'll be honest, the recipe on page one differs from the recipe I got from somewhere else (I can't remember now) which was also allegedly from Max Feleij on how to paint the brass chest eagles.

That recipe was:

• Runelord Brass base
  • Shaded with watered down Wyldwood contrast
  • Highlighted with 1:1 Runelord Brass/Stormhost Silver
  • Extreme highlight of Stormhost Silver

Hmmm.... That can probably work. Also, "watered down" meaning as in water or Contrast Medium? :laugh:

15 hours ago, Brother Adelard said:

I've also added this thread to the resources post.

Thank you king!

7 hours ago, Gederas said:

Hmmm.... That can probably work. Also, "watered down" meaning as in water or Contrast Medium? :laugh:

I've always taken it literally, but it might be worth experimenting.

I use contrast as a panel liner, so I also mix it with airbrush thinner to help it wick.

Edited by Brother Adelard

Generally folks mean with water i think. but contrast paints don't quite act the same when diluted with things other than medium like other paints do.  I've diluted contrast with Contrast medium, with water, with air thinner, and with flow improver.  I can't really explain the differences, I haven't had enough time to paint much lately to get my head around it.  I'm sure somebody out there has touched on it tho.