What would you change about 9th ed?

Brother Sidonius

Boils down to personal opinion and taste like most things that are subjective, it is just what works for me in this instance, I have all the codices and I know the rule set is being tidied up with the new Heresy game. But that's my point, if you have a preference for an edition then go for it or even flick between editions as you want.

Why 7th though? I can get playing an older edition but it's the weakest one of the lot, almost tying itself in knots. When 4th or 5th are right there :biggrin.:

Yeah, GW would make bank if they did a 40k classic edition. Base it either on 4th or 5th. Then streamline it from there. 

Why 7th though? I can get playing an older edition but it's the weakest one of the lot, almost tying itself in knots. When 4th or 5th are right there :biggrin.:

Yeah, GW would make bank if they did a 40k classic edition. Base it either on 4th or 5th. Then streamline it from there. 

I think they are already. I believe it is based on some niche historic event in the games universe so you likely haven't heard of it, only appears in a couple of codices and only as footnotes. Nothing major really, no-one even died in it which was the weird part about it. Ended with everyone being allies I hear. ;)

Roll the game back to early third edition XD

The rare-invulnerable save era (it was just rosarius, iron halos and what else?)! Terminators sans 5++, before Chapter Approved changed that a few years later - danger zone, how will people cope these days?

Traditionally by shelving pricy elites, that's exactly why terminators got the invun back after all :D

Remember when terminators were 3+ but you got to roll 2d6? I thought that was a pretty creative solution at the time. I guess that was a brief period in 2nd edition. Like many things in 2nd edition, a good mechanic for a skirmish, but not so much a big war game.

I think they are already. I believe it is based on some niche historic event in the games universe so you likely haven't heard of it, only appears in a couple of codices and only as footnotes. Nothing major really, no-one even died in it which was the weird part about it. Ended with everyone being allies I hear. :wink:

Get that HH :censored: out of here.

I play Orks, Eldar, DE, Tau, Nids, GSC? GW just spits on you I guess.

I want a proper alternate system for Warhammer 40,000 not being forced to play a setting that's just marines vs marines. Boring.

Edited by jarms48

I think they are already. I believe it is based on some niche historic event in the games universe so you likely haven't heard of it, only appears in a couple of codices and only as footnotes. Nothing major really, no-one even died in it which was the weird part about it. Ended with everyone being allies I hear. ;)

Get that HH :cuss out of here.

I play Orks, Eldar, DE, Tau, Nids, GSC? GW just spits on you I guess.

I want a proper alternate system for Warhammer 40,000 not being forced to play a setting that's just marines vs marines. Boring.

Ironically 40k has devolved into a MEQ meta for many regardless, marines on marines.

Ironically 40k has devolved into a MEQ meta for many regardless, marines on marines.

Marines are a popular army sure, but that seems to be local metas. I only have 1 marine, 1 chaos (who goes between different CSM armies), and 1 GK player. The rest are all xenos or other Imperium armies. 

From a global meta, marines aren't even in the top 3. Before the balance update it was Ad-Mech, DE, and Orks. Now it's DE, Orks, and GK. Sure, you can maybe consider GK as marines, but that's still only 1 faction.

I also much prefer 40k as a setting over HH. It's just boring. I prefer the majesty and mystery of the HH, something with such importance now lost to time. It's just not enjoyable to play in that setting for me.

Edited by jarms48

• 1 month later...

Just had a thought, since points are a major talking point lately. The big 4 have moved to being supplements from stand alone codexes, and we have the smaller ones for like UM, IF etc. Some feel X pts increase/decrease is arbitrary and punishes the rest where the unit in question is only an issue in one sub faction. I think it would be a good idea to replicate the full codex points list in each supplement. This would mean there is more nuance to points costs. For example in the latest CA leaks redemptors are going up 10 pts. I see that as fine for BT and IH, other chapters may only need a 5 pt increase in comparison, so their points would differ depending on who is using the redemptor. 

Start simple for me, give the drukari a proper wack with the nerf bat, no tiny points increases that they can absorb or rules changes that they can dodge:yes:

I prefer to bring things up in power to match, rather then have everyone fighting in the dumpster for bread crusts and bin juice. 

When you have the layered systems of 9th I REALLY doubt actual balance is even possible outside of intentionally matched/curated lists.

Even people attempting to minmax for a meta, would still be out of touch in a different meta.

Balance can be done, but it needs to be simplified.

Goonhammer have an article where they literally tried to make a bad pre nerf Drukhari list and they failed. That faction need their army building mechanic changed

Points per marine chapter would be good but doubt they want that much work

Thats true. At least they have plenty of data points to do it if they wanted to do the work at least.

Remember when terminators were 3+ but you got to roll 2d6? I thought that was a pretty creative solution at the time. I guess that was a brief period in 2nd edition. Like many things in 2nd edition, a good mechanic for a skirmish, but not so much a big war game.

Gotta admit, I really liked 2nd Edition, but there again I prefer skirmish scale games to larger-scale ones. The hand-to-hand combat resolution was a bit unwieldy (3rd edition was better for that), but I really liked the more detailed nature of things, e.g. vehicles having turning circles and the damage charts sending vehicles out of control, catching fire, etc ... (I know a lot of people had issues with templates and armour facings, but these never came up with those I play with - could easily be down to the mentality or temperament of each group :))

Start simple for me, give the drukari a proper wack with the nerf bat, no tiny points increases that they can absorb or rules changes that they can dodge:yes:

I prefer to bring things up in power to match, rather then have everyone fighting in the dumpster for bread crusts and bin juice.
Yeah this is normally my preferred way of doing it but in this case I think Drukhari need bringing down a notch whilst everyone else is improved several notches.

Drukhari seem to be a bit of a special case this edition. I’m not sure if GW has a soft spot for them but it feels like the nerfs they’ve handed out to Drukhari seem quite light touch or at least more nuanced than those given to other factions. When ad mech and Orks were overperforming they seemed to deal with it in a very definite/terminal manner but Drukhari seemed much more cautious and even received some buffs with the nerfs.

Edited by MARK0SIAN

Morale

They need to yeet morale into the bin

Its counter fluff for the majority of armies. Make it a thing for super scary UNITS or the odd chapter like Nightlords, maybe even in the form of mortal wounds after an attack and/or too scared to fire overwatch or set to defend or minus one to hit in melee (if they fail leadership test)

This would probably contra current design philosophy but Id rather certain maniac units like Wulfen charged the nearest target or stayed behind to mutilate corpses than ran off scared

And reduce degrading VEHICLE profiles. One set of degrades, not 2, have it at 1/3 wounds. And or degrading applies to vehicles at 12 wounds or more.

Edited by Dark Shepherd

I would love a 2nd edition based “advanced 40k” Smaller scale more detailed rules. But with a modern assault phase, not the 2nd ed one, that was atrocious

I wouldn't change much for 9th, it's too late. I would do a hard reset of all the codex creep in 10th with some indexes again.

Unless the rules are substantially changed, indexes won’t change anything for more than a few weeks and then the first codexes out of the gate will have a major leg up from the others, and being last will be a disaster