Shedding Blood, Taking Skulls, Having Fun

Khornestar

This thread is an opportunity to share what units/builds fellow World Eaters players are using in their current games of 9th.

We have multiple threads for wishlisting and such, so this thread is very much just for a conversation involving what we’re playing and having (one hopes!) fun with.

I’m still just running a max MSU berzerkers horde (I.e. 6 units of 5 models). I always arm them with all swords and axes and champs with power fists, though nowadays I feel like I’d be better off with a pair of lightning claws on the champs instead.

Red butchers x10, just because I love everything about them. I haven’t had that much luck with getting them into combat, but I’ve so far used combi plasmas and lightning claws. My ideal/dream load out is actually chainfists on all of them, but i need to get better at using this unit. Deep strike essentially guarantees I’ll never make the charge (I have awful luck, even with +1” and reroll with icon of wrath, I have not made a charge with them yet out of deep strike). I will think about apoplectic frenzy.

Leviathan: loving it with the melta gun arms, backed up by Khârn for refills. This guy does lots of shooting damage, though not having a claw or drill to wreck face in combat feels so so wrong.

HQs, I’m really not thrilled with any of our options. Terminator lord with gorefather has been awesome when rolling hot. No fun when all the necrons stand back up, but he can really mow things down.

Dreadclaws and rhinos: I love transports for this army, as footslogging berzerkers are so easy to kill. Dreadclaws deep striking are cool but as with the terminators, the occupants never make their charge. The dreadclaws often do, and can deal not terrible damage in combat.

How about you all? What are you having fun using?

Edited by Juggernut

Most of what I would say are the exact same units with minor differences in loadout. Only major difference is I usually take a Master of Executions as a backup HQ. He usually gets ignored and that allows me to flank with him and finish off what units my berserkers don't outright kill. Mighty killy character for the points cost, just no ++.

Most of what I would say are the exact same units with minor differences in loadout. Only major difference is I usually take a Master of Executions as a backup HQ. He usually gets ignored and that allows me to flank with him and finish off what units my berserkers don't outright kill. Mighty killy character for the points cost, just no ++.

I gotta try him out some time. Nothing cooler than a big axe.

Termite Drills are a pretty standout unit. I'm still putting mine together, but their killing power and extra room for HQs is really something.

I had sorta been wishing I had a couple, as the Dreadclaws are cool but the termites have more capacity as you say, and that’s really crucial since we can have 2 msu units inside plus whatever else we want.

Two units seem to be more useful in my World Eaters lists this edition: Dark Apostles and Chaos Marines.

1. Dark Apostles

My Dark Apostles seem to be more useful this edition. This is probably because the enemy firepwer often seems killier than it was in previous editions.

The Dark Apostle's Illusory Supplication (5+ invulnerable) save he grants to my Rhinos full of Zerkers and Helbrute on Turn 1 seems way more important now. Then on Turn 2 he switches over to Dark Zealotry for the re-rolls to hit buff.

2. Chaos Marines

My Chaos Marines are key at holding backfield objectives this edition since you earn points for objectives every Turn rather than at the end of the game. One or two cheap squads of 8 CSM, fist, and lascannon really help me get primaries. This leaves the rest of the army free to burn, Maim, and kill. Plus when enemy forces get near them in my backfield they can still churn out a decent amount of damage in melee with their chainswords and fist.

All my other units (Zerkers, Blood Slaughterers, Daemon Prince, etc) seem about the same as in 8th Edition, choppy but made of glass.

Blood for the Blood god!

Call me old fashioned but I still love 3x10 berzerkers in rhinos.  I've tried MSU and I find 5 berzerkers not enough to take down some targets as they rarely survive the punch back before they can reactivate, or just die to overwatch (I literally lost 3 to bolt pistols last game).

I also love demon engines, particularly venomcrawlers with disco lord support. The occasional fiend as well.

Oh, and always 10 red butchers coming in on deep strike.

Call me old fashioned but I still love 3x10 berzerkers in rhinos. I've tried MSU and I find 5 berzerkers not enough to take down some targets as they rarely survive the punch back before they can reactivate, or just die to overwatch (I literally lost 3 to bolt pistols last game).

I also love demon engines, particularly venomcrawlers with disco lord support. The occasional fiend as well.

Oh, and always 10 red butchers coming in on deep strike.

How are you equipping your berzerkers and butchers?

I'm going with the following list today to have some fun with:

2000 points Battalion:

HQ:

Khârn

Terminator Lord + Gorefather (Warlord - Violent Urgency)

Dark Apostle

NO SLOTS:

2x Dark Disciples

TROOPS:

5x Berzerkers: Icon of Wrath, Chainsword + Chainaxe on everyone

ELITES:

10x Terminators: Red Butchers: Combi-plasma + Lightning claw on everyone

Leviathan Dreadnought: Grav cannon, Leviathan drill, Volkites

Contemptor Dreadnought: Hellforged plasma, Dreadnought close combat weapon

FAST ATTACK:

Dreadclaw

Dreadclaw

DEDICATED TRANSPORT:

Rhino: Combi-bolter

Rhino: Combi-bolter

This is the list I like to play with, I just wanna hone my abilities to move/position properly. I really still care very little for the various secondary objectives in the game, but there are some which are surely better for this army style. Which would you all choose?

Edited by Juggernut

As you know, secondaries really depends on enemy army composition, mission, terrain, etc, but 3 stalwarts when I use my World Eaters are:

-Engage on All Fronts: much of your army will be moving forward after all. And after Turn 1 you can keep empty Rhinos in your half of the board to get Engage.

-Attrition: nuff said

-Either assassinate or Bring it Down: but only if they have enough vehicles or characters, otherwise go for something else

"Burn, Maim, kill"

I forgot my dreadclaws at home, subbed a rhino and a blood slaughterer. Much fun was had, other player brought harlequins.

Death to the False Everyone is awesome for berzerkers. Never had a chance to buff them with the characters, but honestly it didn’t matter. I think I’d usually generate enough double hits from 6’s to replace rerolls to hit (at least 1’s aura from a lord). A pair of lightning claws on the champion to re-roll wounds would have been extra nasty.

Same deal with red butchers. Only a single lightning claw because I like to shoot with them too, but those extra hits are swell.

• 1 month later...