Gene-Seed Section along with a unique ritual regarding the Red Thirst. Honestly I have not enjoyed writing a Chapter this much since the initial days of the Praedicators (Then known as the Denizens of the Deep). I think Tactical Imperatives will be next. The Ritual of the Unbroken Horn is the first of many first hand accounts I hope. I have a few more ideas, including testimony of their role at the Devastation of Baal, a audience member watching the Symphony of Execution within their fortress monastery and the ship logs of a Rogue Trader upon laying on the Matadors flagship Battle Barge for the first time. I hope you enjoy:

Gene-seed
T

he gene seed of the Matadors, derived directly from the noble lineage of the Blood Angels, remains unchanged and untouched by any additional mutations or alterations. However, it displays a distinctive characteristic that sets it apart from other Blood Angel successor chapters – a heightened connection to the more primal aspects of their gene seed.

The Matadors' gene seed carries the same genetic legacy as their esteemed forebears, the Blood Angels. It is suffused with the essence of the vampiric Primarch Sanguinius, embodying their gene line's nobility, grace, and ferocity. Like their progenitors, the Matadors possess enhanced senses, heightened reflexes, and a remarkable affinity for close combat.

Yet, a subtle divergence within the Matadors' gene-seed amplifies the primal instincts ingrained within them. This heightened connection to their animalistic nature manifests in their combat prowess, lending them an even more savage and relentless edge on the battlefield. The Matadors tap into their inner beast, unleashing a raw and untamed ferocity that sets them apart from other Blood Angel chapters.

In battle, the Matadors' gene-seed instils an intensified thirst for blood and an insatiable hunger for victory. Their senses become keener, allowing them to detect the subtlest movements and anticipate their foes' actions with uncanny precision. Their reflexes sharpen to a razor's edge, enabling lightning-fast strikes and devastating counterattacks. It is as if the primal essence of the gene-seed surges through their veins, fueling their every action and lending an almost feral intensity to their combat style.

However, This heightened connection to their gene seed's primal aspects comes with challenges. The Matadors must constantly guard against succumbing to the Red Thirst, the notorious flaw inherent in the Blood Angels' gene seed. While their discipline and unwavering loyalty to the Imperium help them resist the insidious influence of the Red Thirst, they must remain vigilant, for the call of their primal nature always lingers.

The Matadors' gene-seed is a double-edged sword, bestowing them unparalleled combat prowess while testing their resolve and self-control. It is a testament to their unwavering dedication that they harness the primal aspects of their gene seed without succumbing to its darker temptations. The Matadors embrace their primal nature, wielding it as a weapon in defence of humanity, exemplifying the unyielding spirit and noble ferocity that defines their Chapter.

In the annals of the Adeptus Astartes, the Matadors' gene seed stands as a unique testament to the enduring legacy of the Blood Angels and their indomitable spirit. It is a mark of distinction that sets the Matadors apart, as they combine the grace and nobility of their gene line with an untamed ferocity that sets them on a path all their own.

Red Thirst

My heart swells with anticipation and reverence as I stand among my fellow Matadors. The air is thick with solemnity, and a hushed silence falls upon us as the Sanguinary Priest steps forward to oversee the Ritual of the Unbroken Horn. His presence commands our utmost respect, for he is the conduit through which we confront and conquer our inner demons.

In his hands, he holds the sacred relic, a magnificent horn carved from the horn of a formidable creature, a direct descendant of the wild beasts that roam our homeworld of Epona Prime. Its jagged edges glint in the flickering light, symbolizing the natural instincts that dwell within each of us, waiting to be unleashed. The horn is a connection to our Chapter's heritage, a tangible reminder of its potent symbolism.

With steady hands, the Sanguinary Priest raises the horn above his head, commanding our unwavering attention. We watch, transfixed, knowing that what is about to unfold is significant for our struggle against the Red Thirst. A surge of anticipation courses through me as I feel the moment's weight.

In one swift and purposeful motion, the Sanguinary Priest pierces his flesh with the horn, drawing forth a small measure of his blood. The sight is captivating and unsettling, as if we witness a momentary surrender to the primal forces within us. In that brief instant, I feel a deep connection to the untamed wilderness that runs through my veins, a glimpse into the raw power that courses through our Chapter.

But the ritual does not end there. As the blood trickles down the horn, the Sanguinary Priest staunches the flow, symbolizing our ability to control our primal urges and maintain unwavering discipline. It is a profound demonstration of triumph over the raging storm within, a testament to our commitment to harness the raw power of the beast without succumbing to its overwhelming influence.

The Ritual of the Unbroken Horn is a constant reminder of our ongoing struggle against the Red Thirst. It is a profound and cathartic experience when we confront our inner demons and emerge stronger. Through this ritual, we find solace, for it is in acknowledging and mastering our feral instincts that we can strike a delicate balance between our noble heritage and savage impulses.

Our spirits are uplifted as we witness the Sanguinary Priest's mastery over the Red Thirst. We are reminded of our unyielding determination and unbreakable discipline. This ritual is a testament to our unshakable resolve, a reminder that we are warriors capable of controlling the relentless thirst for blood. In service to the Imperium, we wield our primal power with elegance and ferocity, embodying the essence of being a Matador.

Edited by Minigiant

Here is another section alongside a sub-section on their involvement at the Devastation of Baal. I think next I will cover their Fortress-Monastery and the Symphony of Justice and Execution that is performed there

Tactical Imperatives
T

he Matadors' Combat Doctrine and Tactical Imperatives encompass a harmonious fusion of art and warfare, transforming every engagement into a symphony of grace, precision, and devastating strikes. Inspired by their belief in the interplay between art and combat, the Matadors have developed a distinct approach that melds the mastery of mounted warfare, theatricality, and surgical precision.

Central to their Combat Doctrine is the mastery of the Equesanguis, their formidable steeds. Through unwavering dedication and rigorous training, the Matadors perfect their horsemanship skills, refining their ability to control these genetically enhanced horses with unparalleled finesse and agility. Riding atop their majestic steeds, the Equesanguis, they charge into battle, their thunderous hooves pounding the ground, captivating both allies and adversaries.

Drawing inspiration from the ancient art of tauromachy, the Matadors view combat as a deadly dance, an intricate choreography of lethal strikes and fluid movements. Striving to achieve a state of heightened awareness and fluidity on the battlefield, they blend mounted charges with agile footwork and synchronised attacks. Each engagement becomes a meticulously orchestrated performance aimed at overwhelming their opponents with a mesmerising display of martial prowess.

Psychological warfare holds an important place among the Matadors' Tactical Imperatives. They understand the profound impact of aesthetics and theatrics on the battlefield. The sight of armoured warriors charging on horseback, lances held high, instils a deep sense of awe and fear in their foes. This visual spectacle, combined with the thunderous gallop of the Equesanguis, disrupts enemy formations and instigates doubt and trepidation in the hearts of those who dare oppose them.

Precision and target prioritisation form the bedrock of the Matadors' tactical approach. Meticulously selecting their targets, they aim to swiftly and efficiently neutralise critical threats. The Matadors execute precise thrusts and strikes against vulnerable enemy positions, expertly exploiting weaknesses and openings in their defences. Surgical precision and unwavering coordination allow them to ruthlessly dismantle the enemy's forces.

In the grand symphony of the battlefield, the Matadors play their part as harmonious instruments of the Emperor's will. They believe that their actions bring order and balance to the Imperium, safeguarding the innocent and purging the heretical. Their coordinated assaults seamlessly integrate mounted charges with ground-based infantry offensives, combining firepower and close combat prowess into a symphony of destruction.

The Matadors' tactical acumen extends to the exploitation of terrain. They possess an intimate understanding of the battlefield, leveraging natural cover, chokepoints, and elevation to enhance their mobility and launch devastating attacks from unexpected angles. The terrain becomes an extension of their strategy, granting them advantageous positions to dictate the ebb and flow of battle and disrupt enemy formations.

The Matadors embody the fusion of art and warfare through their unique Combat Doctrine and Tactical Imperatives. They skillfully combine the mastery of mounted combat, precise strikes, psychological warfare, and strategic finesse to create a battlefield symphony where each engagement becomes a mesmerising display of skill and artistry. In their unyielding pursuit of victory, the Matadors stand as a testament to the Adeptus Astartes' nobility, courage, and indomitable spirit.

Devastation of Baal

In the crucible of the Devastation of Baal, I, Captain Solarius of the Blood Angels, bore witness to the awe-inspiring might and grandeur of the Matadors. As the Tyranid hordes ravaged our beloved homeworld, the Matadors emerged as a shining beacon of hope amidst the devastation, their mastery of mounted warfare unrivalled and their presence a testament to the indomitable spirit of the Blood Angels.

The Matadors' majestic Equesanguis, epitomised the grace and fury of the noble steed and its rider. Clad in resplendent armour, their banners streaming in the howling winds of battle, they charged forth with an unmatched equestrian finesse. The thunderous beat of hooves resounded across the shattered landscape, a symphony of determination that echoed through the hearts of all who beheld it.

With lances held high, gleaming with righteous fury, the Matadors struck with the precision of a surgeon's blade. They exploited the weaknesses in the Tyranid lines, their swift charges slicing through the alien horde with devastating impact. It was a ballet of death, a display of martial prowess that left the Tyranids in disarray, their monstrous forms crumbling under the weight of the Matadors' righteous fury.

I marvelled at their hit-and-run tactics, their ability to vanish and reappear like phantoms, leaving chaos and discord in their wake. The Matadors' lightning-fast cavalry charges unravelled the cohesion of the alien horde, sowing fear and confusion among their ranks. No Tyranid monstrosity was safe from their assault, for the Matadors targeted the synapse creatures and critical biomorphs, striking at the very heart of the Tyranid swarm.

Their unwavering dedication to the cause of the Imperium was a sight to behold. Each stride of the Equesanguis reverberated with the hope and courage that the defenders of Baal desperately clung to. In their charge, the Matadors embodied the resilience and unyielding spirit of the Blood Angels, inspiring their battle-brothers to fight with renewed ferocity and unrelenting determination.

But the Matadors were more than just masters of mounted warfare. Their swift mobility and heightened senses made them invaluable in reconnaissance and scouting. They galloped ahead of our forces, their keen eyes observing the Tyranids' every move, gathering vital intelligence that became the lifeblood of our strategic planning. The Matadors were not just warriors, but also the eyes and ears of our beleaguered forces, guiding us through the darkest of times.

In the midst of battle, I witnessed their seamless coordination with other Blood Angel units. Their cavalry charges were perfectly synchronised with the relentless onslaught of the Death Company and the ethereal grace of the Sanguinary Guard. Together, they formed a formidable tapestry of destruction, exploiting the fractures in the Tyranid lines and delivering death upon the alien swarm with unrivalled precision.

Their adaptability was unmatched. With seamless transitions, the Equesanguis dismounted, transforming their noble steeds into platforms for devastating fire support or agile strike forces. Bolt and blade became their weapons of choice as they unleashed a storm of righteous fury upon the enemy. They were warriors without equal, versatile in their approach and lethal in their execution.

The Matadors' indomitable spirit in the face of overwhelming odds was a rallying cry for us all. Their valour and sacrifice kindled the flames of defiance within our hearts, refusing to bow before the encroaching darkness. In their noble sacrifice and unwavering determination, the Matadors became a symbol of the Imperium's unrelenting resolve, a shining example of heroism in the face of abhorrent alien menace.

Their legacy, forged amidst the horrors of the Devastation of Baal, burned brightly in the annals of our history. They became an integral part of the Blood Angels, an embodiment of the Emperor's fury and the unbreakable bond between warrior and steed. The Matadors' exploits in mounted warfare were forever etched in the chronicles of Baal, a beacon of hope amidst the darkest hour.

As I stood amidst the ruins of our homeworld, gazing upon the magnificent charge of the Matadors, I felt a surge of pride and admiration. They were a testament to Sanguinius, a testament to the unyielding spirit that defines us. In the face of unimaginable devastation, the Matadors stood tall, a reminder that even in the darkest of times, there is glory to be found in the pursuit of duty and honour.

The Fortress Monastery section with a first hand account of a performance hosted by the Matadors from the perspective of the planetary governor.

Fortress Monastery

A

ureum Caeli, the Fortress Monastery of the Matadors, is a testament to their unwavering devotion and indomitable resolve. This colossal edifice radiates a sense of extravagance, symbolising their unyielding might and divine calling. Rising proudly from the ground, its towering spires seem to challenge the gods themselves, commanding respect and awe from mortal onlookers.

Approaching the Fortress Monastery, one is immediately struck by its ostentatious beauty. Every aspect of its design exudes grandeur and opulence, meticulously crafted to inspire admiration and intimidation. Intricate carvings and embellishments adorn its towering walls, weaving a tapestry of arrogance and excess. The flamboyant architecture blends form and function, humbling mortal onlookers in its presence.

Within the sacred chambers of the Fortress Monastery, the Matadors engage in decadent rituals and preparations. The halls resound with the echoes of martial training as blades clash and hooves thunderously strike marble floors. These ostentatious displays of skill and strength further reinforce the Chapter's belief in their superiority and divine mandate.

The Fortress Monastery serves as a place of training and preparation and a shrine to the Matadors' inflated egos and unwavering devotion. Its towering spires reach towards the heavens, boldly proclaiming their perceived dominance over the mortal realm. Within its hallowed halls, an almost tangible arrogance permeates the air, as if the stones revel in the Chapter's self-proclaimed greatness.

It embodies excessive allure, from opulent chambers to lavish training grounds. Here, martial prowess and narcissism converge, overshadowing the pursuit of excellence with pomp and circumstance. The Chapter's traditions and rituals, rooted in the past, are exaggerated to a theatrical degree, each action performed as if on a stage, designed to elicit admiration and reverence.

As the Matadors stride through the corridors of their Fortress Monastery, every movement drips with self-importance. The echoes of their footsteps resound with an inflated sense of purpose, projecting an image of invincibility. They are the masters of their domain, epitomising arrogance and extravagance, forever etching their presence into the cosmic tapestry.

In the end, the Fortress Monastery of the Matadors stands not only as a symbol of their unwavering devotion but also as a testament to their excessive pride and self-indulgence. It serves as a monument to their inflated egos and the delusion of their greatness. Yet, within its gilded halls and pretentious displays, the Chapter finds solace, believing themselves to be the epitome of perfection, forever glorifying their existence.

Within these walls, the Matadors honour their fallen and celebrate heroic deeds. Grandiose ceremonies and feasts of remembrance are held to pay homage to those who sacrificed their lives in service to the Emperor and humanity. Amidst the revelry, profound respect for the fallen permeates as the Matadors solemnly pledge to continue their legacy.

The celebration of heroic deeds serves a deeper purpose for the Matadors. It reinforces their unity, fostering a collective spirit that binds them together in the face of adversity. Their comrades' triumphs and sacrifices, immortalised in art and legend, ignite the flames of valour and determination within the battle brothers. The Matadors find strength and inspiration through these ceremonies and rituals, reaffirming their commitment to defend the Imperium and uphold their cherished virtues.

In the eyes of the Matadors, celebrating heroic deeds is not a mere indulgence in grandeur but a sacred duty. It is a testament to their unwavering dedication to the Emperor, a constant reminder of the immense sacrifices made in the name of humanity. In the resounding echoes of heroic tales and the flickering candlelight that illuminates the relics of the fallen, the Matadors find solace, purpose, and the unyielding resolve to face any challenge that dares to threaten the Imperium they fiercely protect.

Symphonia Lustitiae et Executionis

The grand hall of the Matador Chapter's fortress-monastery surged with anticipation and reverence as I, Seraphina Valerius, Planetary Governor of Epona Prime, took my seat in the luxurious box with my angelic cherubim, symbols of purity, landing beside me. The rest of my entourage found their places behind me. The luminaries of our planet had assembled, their eyes shimmering with excitement, but when the performance began, all gazes were fixed on one thing.

As the lights dimmed, a soft, golden radiance bathed the hall, casting an otherworldly glow upon the grand stage. The rhythmic echoes of hooves reverberated through the air, growing in intensity, and electric energy crackled in the atmosphere. Anticipation hung heavy as the curtains unfurled, unveiling a scene of breathtaking splendour that seized my breath.

A single beam of light pierced the darkness, illuminating a lone Equesanguis astride a magnificent silken black steed in its ethereal brilliance. Clad in gleaming armour, the rider exuded an aura of authority and grace while the horse's coat shimmered like molten gold beneath the mesmerising illumination. The sheer beauty of the sight stirred a deep fire within me, invoking admiration and awe.

To the enchanting strains of an orchestral composition, the Equesanguis and its rider embarked on a dance that transcended artistry and skill. Their movements flowed in perfect harmony, an ethereal symphony of justice and execution. Each leap and twirl showcased a masterstroke of elegance and power, a testament to the unbreakable bond between the warrior and their steed.

The stage transformed into a vibrant tableau, bathed in shifting hues that evoked ethereal landscapes and brought to life the epic battles fought by the Matadors against the encroaching darkness. The Equesanguis symbolised unwavering resolve, charging through imaginary foes with resolute determination and a blaze of fiery justice.

Accompanying the performance, a resonant narration echoed throughout the hall, recounting the heroic deeds, triumphant victories, selfless sacrifices, and unwavering loyalty of the Matadors to the Emperor. Each word woven into the tapestry of the performance struck a resounding chord in our hearts, kindling flames of inspiration and admiration, reaffirming our unyielding devotion to the cause of righteousness.

The audience sat captivated, their eyes transfixed upon the spectacle unfolding before them. Equine prowess intertwined with dramatic artistry, transporting us to a realm where justice and execution merged into an indistinguishable whole. It was a symphony that enraptured the senses, a celebration of the indomitable spirit that resided within the Matadors and a testament to the noble heritage of Epona Prime.

As the performance soared to its crescendo, a captive from a recent campaign rose from through the bowels of Aureum Caeli with their hands and mouths bound through an opening on the stage floor. A collective gasp of awe reverberated through the chamber, with the Equesanguis and their steed executing a breathtaking leap, defying gravity and suspending mid-air. A single clean swipe of their blade severing the head from the neck was followed by thunderous applause that shook the very foundations of the fortress-monastery. Once again, the Matadors showcased their mastery of equine elegance and the captivating power of their art, leaving us all breathless and in a state of pure exhilaration.

With the final bow and the fading echoes of the audience's ovation, the performance concluded, but its impact remained etched deeply within the hearts and minds of all who had the privilege to bear witness. The symphony entertained us and deepened our understanding and appreciation for the Matadors' unique fusion of equine prowess and artistic expression in pursuing justice and execution.

As the attendees dispersed, their spirits were uplifted by the magnificence they had just witnessed; they carried with them a renewed sense of pride in the Matadors and a profound connection to the ancestral spirit of Epona Prime. Once again, the symphony had forged an unbreakable bond between the Chapter and its loyal supporters, serving as an eternal testament to the harmonious union of equine influence and the captivating world of justice and execution.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Zebulon said:

This has come together really well. My first foray into the Liber in months, and a fortuitous one. What should we expect next from you?

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement! I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Matadors Index Astartes article. It means a lot to me, especially after months away from the Liber. Positive feedback stokes my passion to continue sharing my work and crafting and refining the lore of the Matadors Chapter.

As for what's next, I'm currently working on the remaining sections of the Matadors Index Astartes article. I'll be delving into the intricacies of Chapter Artifacts and Relics, exploring their unique history and significance. Additionally, I'll be detailing the chapter's Recruitment process, the adversary's perspective, and the inner workings of their Organization. I hope to present these sections with graphics and visual aids, using Rogue Trader letters, Inquisitorial reports, and other immersive elements to enhance the narrative.

However, outside of the Matadors, I also plan on revisiting my first true love, the Praedicators.  After half a decade, I've finally found inspiration for how they would conduct their military operations. I'm eager to breathe new life into that part of their lore and share their story with the Liber community.

Lastly, there's the Community Project. The choice between Gaol Wardens and Druidic Blood Angels is fascinating, and I'm excited to steer either project towards fruition.

Will the relics include some form of spear/lance? I am interested in how the theme will influence wargear. Also perhaps there will be capes? I look forward to reading all that.

I will try to find some time for your underwater marines too. They certainly look a cool idea.

Yes I have noted the community project :tu:

On 7/20/2023 at 6:18 AM, Zebulon said:

Will the relics include some form of spear/lance? I am interested in how the theme will influence wargear. Also perhaps there will be capes? I look forward to reading all that.

In @40k_fan'Liber Armorium' I wrote a quick piece on the Lance Encarmine, but I think I will make it a legendary weapon, and keep the Sanguinary Guard with their Glaives Encarmine. 

Edited by Minigiant

• 3 weeks later...

Lance Encarmine

Introduction

Within the vast arsenal of the Warhammer 40,000 universe, the Matadors Sanguinary Guard Lance Encarmine stand as a testament to the awe-inspiring weaponry wielded by the noble Matadors Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes. Developed as a variant of the revered Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard Glaives Encarmine, these lances embody the Chapter's commitment to elegance, precision, and devastating close-quarters combat.

Lore and Background

The origins of the Matadors Sanguinary Guard Lance Encarmine can be traced back to the esteemed Blood Angels Chapter, known for their fierce devotion to the Emperor and the constant struggle against the encroaching darkness. As successors of this noble lineage, the Matadors have inherited the sacred duty of protecting humanity and upholding the ideals of justice and purity.

The Lance Encarmine hold a significant place within the Matadors' culture and combat doctrine. Passed down through generations, these revered weapons are regarded as symbols of the Chapter's unwavering resolve and dedication to the Emperor. They are said to embody the fiery essence of their Primarch, whose blood still courses through the veins of the Chapter's warriors.

Design and Function

The Matadors Sanguinary Guard Lance Encarmine feature a sleek and lethal design that perfectly balances elegance and lethality. Crafted with the utmost precision by the Chapter's skilled artisans and master craftsmen, these lances are infused with sacred oils and blessings, enhancing their already formidable power.

Each lance consists of a shaft made from sturdy ceramite or adamantium, meticulously etched with intricate patterns and embellishments that reflect the Chapter's noble heritage. At the tip, a bladed head forged from a rare adamantine alloy or infused with crystalline shards exudes a pulsating aura of blood-red energy.

Tactical Application

The Matadors Sanguinary Guard Lance Encarmine excel in close-quarters combat, their design perfectly suited for swift and devastating strikes. In battle, the Sanguinary Guard, adorned in their ornate and revered armor, brandish these lances with unmatched grace and precision.

The lances possess incredible destructive power, capable of rending through even the most formidable foes. With each swing and thrust, they unleash a torrent of energy that bathes the battlefield in a shimmering cascade of crimson light. The Lance Encarmines' inherent close-quarters capabilities make them ideal for engagements within the tight confines of boarding actions, ship-to-ship combat, or assaulting fortified enemy positions.

Variants and Modifications

Though the Matadors Sanguinary Guard Lance Encarmine primarily adhere to a standard design, there are notable variations and modifications that have emerged over time. Some lances feature additional enhancements such as built-in power fields or disruption fields, further amplifying their destructive potential or granting additional defensive capabilities. These modifications are often tailored to the preferences and combat style of specific Sanguinary Guard champions.

Legendary Heroes and Stories

Throughout the Matadors' illustrious history, there have been countless tales of legendary heroes wielding the Sanguinary Guard Encarmine Lances. One such hero is Seraphim Valerius, a renowned Sanguinary Priest who led the charge during the crucial Battle of Obsidian Gate. With his Lance Encarmine held high, Seraphim carved a path through hordes of traitorous enemies, inspiring his brethren to achieve a resounding victory against overwhelming odds.

Conclusion

In conclusion, the Matadors Sanguinary Guard Lance Encarmine symbolize the Chapter's dedication to the Emperor and their pursuit of martial excellence. With their exquisite design, devastating power, and the heroic deeds of their wielders, these lances have become an indomitable force on the battlefield. As you delve further into the Index Armorium, may this glimpse into the Matadors Sanguinary Guard Lance Encarmine inspire you to explore the rich tapestry of weaponry and wargear that shapes the fate of the Warhammer 40,000 universe. Arm yourself with knowledge and prepare to forge your own legends amidst the unending horrors of the 41st Millennium.