Master Ciaphas' Dark Angels - a 2022 Crusade project

Master Ciaphas

They should also have the Inner Circle rule, IIRC, which is a reduction in damage they take. Which, in survival terms, is huge together with the additional wound.

Unfortunately they're also overpriced for what they can do, so they're pretty lackluster overall.

Thank you for your comments!

Well - I sat down last night and started to assemble the Deathwing Assault set. Those are some seriously crisp models!

The box comes with 16 warriors...and 3 Watchers. I am considering assembling them like this:

Belial - stock model, no options

Deathwing Knights - going for the maces, as these look cooler. As far as I can tell, there is no special weapon for the Knight Master (ie. Relic Weapon or Weapon of the Unforgiven)?

5 Terminators - Sgt. w. Storm Bolter & Power Sword, 1 Plasma Cannon & Powerfist, 2 SB & PF and 1 Storm Bolter & Chainfist

5 Terminators - Sgt. w. Storm Bolter & Power Sword, 1 Cyclone Missile Launcher + SB & Powerfist, 2 SB & PF and 1 Storm Bolter & Chainfist

Does this mix up seem OK?

Is it also correctly understood, that you no longer pay extra for a Chainfist, or the heavy weapons - and that everything is baked into the 205 point cost? 

Cheers!

4 hours ago, Master Ciaphas said:

Deathwing Knights - going for the maces, as these look cooler. As far as I can tell, there is no special weapon for the Knight Master (ie. Relic Weapon or Weapon of the Unforgiven)?

I believe there should be a special big sword in the addons sprue that can be used to denote the Knight Master.

5 Terminators - Sgt. w. Storm Bolter & Power Sword, 1 Plasma Cannon & Powerfist, 2 SB & PF and 1 Storm Bolter & Chainfist

5 Terminators - Sgt. w. Storm Bolter & Power Sword, 1 Cyclone Missile Launcher + SB & Powerfist, 2 SB & PF and 1 Storm Bolter & Chainfist

I'd go with the assault cannon instead of plasma. Plasma looks cool, but that's about it. The AC has devastating wounds, which is pretty useful against everything.

Don't forget building the watchers. Every squad needs their little friend. 

Is it also correctly understood, that you no longer pay extra for a Chainfist, or the heavy weapons - and that everything is baked into the 205 point cost? 

Yep. It's power level through the back door and pretty annoying, but that's how it is now.

Thanks, mate! Much appreciated!

Now, in June I will be participating in a weekend long narrative campaign, where we will be fielding forces of between 1000 and 1500 points. I would like to bring my 1st Company Deathwing - based on the Deathwing Assault boxed set. That set, with the current point costs, adds up to ca. 785 points.

Any suggestions on what to add to that, to bring it up to 1000 and 1500 respectively.

Oh, and a note - I am so old, and with enough grey streaks, that iin my gaming nostalgic world, 1st Company Deathwing does not include power armour. Just saying... 

Cheers!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

A Redemptor Dreadnought should fit just fine into that force, adding up to exactly 995 points if I'm not mistaken. If you want to go beyond that, Another DW squad, or a dedicated close combat terminator squad, and a delivery vehicle, such as an LRC should get you close to 1500 points, and stay thematically sound. Alternatively, you could also add 2-3 characters instead of another squad.

• 3 weeks later...

Hail!

Thank you for your replies, Bannockburn! 

Now - a wee progress report. Last night I managed to finish assembly of the first squad of five Deathwing Terminators. Pretty standard outfit, nothing fancy and completely "by the book".

So:

Squad Barachiel, led by Sergeant Barachiel with power sword & storm bolter, Brother Maalik with plasma cannon & power fist, Brother Gamaliel with storm bolter & chainfist, and two Deathwing Terminators with storm bolters & power fists. 

All good so far - so during the weekend I will be giving them a coat of Wraithbone spray to get the process started. 

Then - the proper question:

I only, so far, have the Dark Angels Codex Supplement. What else / which other publications do I actually need to play Warhammer 40k 10th ed?  Like - books and card packs?

Cheers!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

34 minutes ago, Master Ciaphas said:

I only, so far, have the Dark Angels Codex Supplement. What else / which other publications do I actually need to play Warhammer 40k 10th ed?  Like - books and card packs?

Great to hear of your progress. You will also need the Space Marines Codex, as well as the free basic rules (available here). 

Furthermore, there are several helpful downloads available to clarify some points as well es errata: https://www.warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000-downloads/

If this is primarily a Crusade project, you might also need Pariah Nexus or Tyrannic War, but I'm not super sure about that. These rules might also be available somewhere for free by now.

Edited by Cpt. Bannockburn

Cheers! Thank you. 

I think I actually have the Core Rules download in print, somewhere...

One of my mates is working on a Necron / Undead Space Force army, so perhaps the Pariah Nexus book might be a good way to start up with smaller forces to learn the game... 

1 hour ago, Master Ciaphas said:

Hail!

Thank you for your replies, Bannockburn! 

Now - a wee progress report. Last night I managed to finish assembly of the first squad of five Deathwing Terminators. Pretty standard outfit, nothing fancy and completely "by the book".

So:

Squad Barachiel, led by Sergeant Barachiel with power sword & storm bolter, Brother Maalik with plasma cannon & power fist, Brother Gamaliel with storm bolter & chainfist, and two Deathwing Terminators with storm bolters & power fists. 

All good so far - so during the weekend I will be giving them a coat of Wraithbone spray to get the process started. 

Then - the proper question:

Cheers!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

You'll need the Space Marine Codex too most likely as the DA book is a supplement to the main Codex.

If you haven't built your models yet what I did was:

Belial (swapped head to a Deathwing Knight head.

Deathwing Knights x5 (the Sergeant has the relic sword)

Deathwing Terminators x5 (Power sword on the sergeant, and Cyclone)

Deathwing blinged (i.e. Deathwing shoulderpads and such) regular Terminator Squad (From the Core Codex) (Cyclone, and in this case the Sergeant can have a power fist so I did the pointy Fist) - and they can either be regular Termiantor Squad x5 or the second 5 of a Deathwing Specific Squad.

I've got a second set that will probably invert the Knights, and repeat the 10 "regular" Terminators. 

Edited by Tacitus

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your comments!

Well - progress has been made on the Deathwing Assault box. I only need to assemble another two Deathwing Terminators, and then I can get on with the painting!

I have been looking at making a 1500p list, as I prefer smaller games. What are your throughts on this:

Dark Angels Inner Circle Task Force

Belial

Librarian in TDA

Chaplain in TDA - Deathwing Assault Enhancement

Brutalis Dreadnought w. multi-meltas

Redemptor Dreadnought with plasma-gatling-fist

5 Deathwing Knights w. maces & relic great weapon

5 Deathwing Terminators - Cyclone Missile Launcher & 2 Chainfists, Sgt. w. Sword & SB

5 Deathwing Terminators - Plasma Cannon & 2 Chainfists, Sgt. w. Sword & SB

5 Deathwing Terminators - Assault Cannon & 2 Chainfists, Sgt. w. Sword & SB

That adds up to about 1460p - so I would add another Enhancement to the Librarian and call it a day?

By the way - I do not compete in tournaments, ETC or such - and solely friendly games with my mates, and perhaps the occasional pick-up game in the FLGS.

Cheers!

Wow. Nice work. It feels like only yesterday I was so excited to embark on that project. The sculpts are awesome though, you're going to have a lot of fun with this.

Thank you! 

Well. Posting is part of keeping myself motivated - so here goes: a bit of progress.

Got everything sprayed with Wraithbone Saturday, and started doing the robes on Belial and the Deathwing Knights:

Ddx48bv.jpg

Slow progress is far better than no progress!

Also - I have bought the new Leviathan Terminator on the second hand market, and placed an order for the Brutalis Dreadnought and the new Chaplain in Terminator Armour. The last thing I need to get, is another five (5) of the new Terminators as well as some pauldrons for them, and I will be set for my 10th ed. Inner Circle Task Force.

Cheers!

Hail!

Another weekend has come and gone. Fortunately, I got “stuff done!”. Made progress on my 10 regular Deathwing Terminators. Crikey do they take a lot of time! Despite pouring in about four hours of work, it barely shows. I am (reasonably) confident, that I with another two or three hours will have something worthwhile showing. Basically, I am blocking in the main “interesting” colours like golden skulls, black armour joints, metal rivets and cables, red Deathwing iconography and green chest aquilas. Soon, I tell myself, soon…!!!

Also, and perhaps more interesting, I also got to try out 10th ed for the first time. Just a wee introduction game, really. We played 750p on a Combat Patrol sized board (44x30). We played the Only War mission from the free, downloadable, Core Rules.

I played pure Deathwing with the following:

-       Belial

-       Librarian in TDA

-       5 Deathwing Terminators, Assault Cannon, 1 Chainfist (joined by Belial)

-       5 Deathing Terminators, Cyclone Missile Launcher, 1 Chainfist (joined by Librarian)

-       Redemptor Dreadnought w. Maco Plasma, Gatling Cannon, Fragstorm Grenades

My opponent fielded a Speek Freaks themed Ork army:

-       Warboss on a trike

-       2 x 3 Warbikes

-       2 x 11 Ork Boyz with Big Shoota

-       1 Trukk

-       1 Squig Trukk

-       1 Trukk-thingy with a rivet cannon?

fl4ZpCJ.jpg

h6BUr3H.jpg

The Orks won first turn and sped ahead, claiming both center objectives. The combined fired manage to kill a single Deathwing Terminator from the squad led by Belial. The Dark Angels pushed ahead, but despite their best efforts, they only managed to kill a Warbike and a two or three boyz. The rivet cannon truck was dealt a number of wounds, but not enough to kill it – and likewise the transport Trukk was dealt a few wounds.

In their second turn, the Orks claimed three VP for objectives. The Orks decided to WAAGGH and pushed further ahead. The squad led by the Librarian overwatched the rivet cannon trukk – and managed to hit with both krak missiles from the Cyclone Launcher – destroying the Ork vehicle. The mob of Ork Boyz camped on the Ork home objective managed to deal two wounds to the Redemptor Dreadnought (me forgetting it had a damage negation ability).

The Ork Warboss and Warbikes charged the Librarian squad, while the Ork Boyz, Trukk and two Warbikes charged Squad Belial. The combat was brutal – with Squad Belial reduced to the Belial and the Deathwing Sergeant. Librarian’s squad was reduced to the Librarian, Sergeant, CML Terminator and a regular Terminator. The return swings took out a Warbiker and a number of boyz facing Squad Belial, while Squad Librarian took out a Warbiker and dealt a few wounds to the Warboss (we made a mistake, thinking you could only punch what you faced, forgetting that you have to chew through bodyguards first).

9PgIW53.jpg

bVVEnl0.jpg

Dark Angels Turn Two saw the Redemptor Dreadnought fire everything at the Trukk, but failing to kill it, eventually having to charge it and destroy it in close combat. Squad Belial finished off the four boyz and the last Warbike. Squad Librarian also managed to kill off the Ork Warboss and last two Warbikes – but the Orks used a Stratagem which allowed them to hit back with destroyed models – and managed to kill off the Deathwing Sergeant and a regular terminator, leaving just the Librarian and CML Terminator.

With the pressure on, the Orks tried to halt the now advancing Dark Angels – but their fire was desultory – and further blunted by my usage of Armour of Contempt.

In Dark Angels turn Three, the Redemptor claimed one of the No-Man Land objective, while Squad Librarian claimed the other. In the Shooting Phase the Redemptor Dreadnought managed to kill off the mob of Ork Boys in the Ork home objective, while the Librarian managed to Smite the last Squig Trukk to death, which had been wounded previously by the Cyclone Missile Launcher. The overcharged Smite dealt a staggering 8 wounds, and the Ork only save two of them…

wjugEiD.jpg

Victory to the Dark Angels and first win in 10th ed.

Lessons learned: remember to use Oath of Moment, Vowed Objective and “Deathing” rule on the data sheet. I probably forgot about these in 75% of my shooting and close combat. Also, Veil of Time was forgotten about the same amount :-D Belial’s Precision attacks were irrelevant. He is just underwhelming, and I would have been better served with a regular Captain in Terminator Armour.

The battlefield was probably also a bit on the small size, but still ultimately “serviceable”. The rules seem clean and streamlined. Mechanically it seems very neat. As for whether it has “soul” and “feel” like, say, 2nd to 7th edition…I am not really convinced. It seems “cold”, though efficient.

I will definitely need to play more games - but I will probably try out the Combat Patrol rules with Mordechais Judgement next, though. 

Cheers!

Faithfully,
Master Ciaphas