Stormsurge discussion

Noserenda

Ive been saying for a while that they dont playtest. Hell they cant even proof read in a lot of cases. They hand out beta copies to Joe Shmoe influencer/youtuber, they read it, give opinions, then GW chooses to ignore them. 

They could easily implement a playtesting system that would only take a few days. A dozen or so players playing multiple games over a few days time using every option in the beta codex. Every interaction, rule, option used. It wouldnt take that much time and effort overall. The video game industry has beta periods to test features and find hidden bugs. 40K has a ton of 'bugs' or even exploits that get missed due to not playing actual games before publishing rules.

My feelings on the new Tsu guns align with a few opinions in this post. The first feeling is that really its not too different from some weapons out there already, and tau being so shooting focused (which I agree with various posters who find this a flaw in design) can be buffed to be better but then that's their 1 phase of major effect on the board state so I guess its fine (still pro a full tau redesign to make them more viable across the game).

My second feeling is I hate what has become of vehicles in 9th and these new guns really aren't helping. I miss the days where bringing non onfantry was a viable choice. Lots of offenders have contributed to this, but this is just one more nail on the monster/ vehicle coffin. And that's what really bugs me.

Yes, GW seem intent on dialling up the damage of weapons but miss out on the effect is has on army composition. I am trying to think what meta armies use vehicles at the moment. Drukhari can mechanise quite easily but their vehicles are cheap and come with a 5++ so are better off than most factions. Necrons with Quantum Shielding tend to last a little while but are a bit pricey to field en-masse.

Perhaps this is something to remember. Both the Railgun and Blast Cannon are mounted on large multi-wound models. The Stormsurge may get an Invuln in this edition but I doubt the Hammerhead will. The same firepower that these units bring to the table make them their own worst enemy in a mirror match. Whoever's units fire first win! All we need to do is bring enough Eradicators/Fire Dragons/Darklances to keep these units unappealing and we don't have too much to worry about.

Not sure that is a healthy approach for game balance though.

Yes, GW seem intent on dialling up the damage of weapons but miss out on the effect is has on army composition. I am trying to think what meta armies use vehicles at the moment. Drukhari can mechanise quite easily but their vehicles are cheap and come with a 5++ so are better off than most factions. Necrons with Quantum Shielding tend to last a little while but are a bit pricey to field en-masse.

Perhaps this is something to remember. Both the Railgun and Blast Cannon are mounted on large multi-wound models. The Stormsurge may get an Invuln in this edition but I doubt the Hammerhead will. The same firepower that these units bring to the table make them their own worst enemy in a mirror match. Whoever's units fire first win! All we need to do is bring enough Eradicators/Fire Dragons/Darklances to keep these units unappealing and we don't have too much to worry about.

Not sure that is a healthy approach for game balance though.

Knights? They've been doing fairly well, although most armies are not taking too many tanks.

I jokingly referenced Apocalypse rules earlier in the thread, but the more I think about, the more it would make sense to port some over.

Another mechanic that could find a way in to 40k would be fire suppression, which could make shooty armies more mobile.

Big, scary guns firing on units should put down suppression markers, which affect the targets movement.

That way, armies like Tau wouldn't necessarily have to deal out stupid amounts of damage each round, just have sufficient firepower to pin down units.

That's something I've called for years actually. Morale (pointless almost in 9th) should work on suppression for shooting and fleeing/forced retreat for melee. That would actually really help Tau and give them something very different to Eldar rather than just having a different way to put out astonishingly high damage.

I might be a little crazy, but I want more Knight like options for other armies and this reminds me of one. (I wasn't playing when this first came out). So now give me more options and lets go Knight v Knight like. :)

Probably not a widespread opinion amongst most 40k players... If so, we would all be playing BattleTech instead.

I might be a little crazy, but I want more Knight like options for other armies and this reminds me of one. (I wasn't playing when this first came out). So now give me more options and lets go Knight v Knight like. :smile.:

Probably not a widespread opinion amongst most 40k players... If so, we would all be playing BattleTech instead.

OR Adeptus Titanicus where you can throw enormous bipedal engines of war at each other and laugh hysterically when your reactor cooks off.

Rik

I might be a little crazy, but I want more Knight like options for other armies and this reminds me of one. (I wasn't playing when this first came out). So now give me more options and lets go Knight v Knight like. :smile.:

OR Adeptus Titanicus where you can throw enormous bipedal engines of war at each other and laugh hysterically when your reactor cooks off.

Rik

*hides Locust behind Reaver*

It's a proxy Armiger, I swear! :)

T8, 2+/4++, ignores inv saves for all its weapons for 2CP.

And it's 330 points in the new book.

After the drubbing the poor Monolith took, maybe GW have decided that every LOW needs an Invuln.

Well, yeah, how else are you going to get mileage out of these 'ignores invuln save' guns they are introducing? :down: