Stormsurge discussion

Noserenda

I'm tempted to get two more Stormsurges and run three of them and nothing else in an upcoming 1000 points tournament :biggrin.: 
It would probably lose me most of the games, considering I'd start with 0 CP, but when will I ever be able to do it again in the future?

Not to sound vindictive, but imagine my shock lol. This is what I’ve been saying since the rules dropped for the stormsurge and hammerhead - they are just paper tigers.

The current game revolves around mobility and positioning, and firepower is just piece of that component. I think the folks running 3 hammerheads (maybe 4 with longstrike?) in upcoming tournaments are going to be disappointed.

While it is only a single datapoint, tabletop tactics had a new codex Tau match vs white scars where the lone hammerhead on the field shot once, failed to wound, then blew up and took some friendly models with it.

I've played a single Hammerhead in one game. It survived and got to shoot 5 times. Failed to hit or wound 3 out of 5 with the Railgun.

But the real reason why I think Hammerheads are a mistake is the mirror match. If you play a tournament and run into another Tau player, and you're running Hammerheads while he's running Broadsides and Crisis you're toast. The Railgun shots get tanked by drones, savior protocolled or negated by counterfire-defence. Then the Hammerheads get blown to pieces immediately after.

One Stormsurge could be decent in Borkan to get the most out of their strategem, sure. But CP are very valuable for Tau, there are just so many amazing strategems. You can't just blow 2 on the Stormsurge every turn. And for everything else in your army Tau and Farsight are probably the better Septs.

In the mirror it's also not great.

I had not thought of that either - Richard Siegler brought it up multiple times as well with the mirror matches that Tau would just negate it 6 ways to Sunday.

The rest of the list, especially Core units, are just so much deadlier now and can manipulate the game with all the new stratagems.

I don’t think we will hear the end of the whining though…usually comes from the guys that play on planet bowling ball and ignore objectives.

I have two surges, and love them. For sure I’m going to play test it a lot.

As sept guess Bor’Kan is the way.

Beside with the obvious Blast, the inv. strat I think will be worth also with sms (or twin AFP) to snipe out units out of los or other targets relying on inv (Harley maybe an ideal target).

Also the 4” inch more are very handy.

Counter fire def. sys, could get mandatory in case of frequent mirrors, to tank Railhead shot, as a couple of drones for savior protocols.

Now I see the surge a solid platform as it should have always been, that can get the job done.

Edited by Swordsman

question for people here.

If I use 3rd party arms on my storm surge (shoulders and elbow, to then make the missles the hands) am I allowed to use it at events?

or do I need to magnetize it so pop off the arms?

question for people here.

If I use 3rd party arms on my storm surge (shoulders and elbow, to then make the missles the hands) am I allowed to use it at events?

or do I need to magnetize it so pop off the arms?

You most certainly are good. Just the few GW events have a rule where you can only use non-GW bits if you designed them yourself (including 3D-prints) or something like that.

Any independent event (so almost all of them) will allow converting your models with 3rd-party bits to your heart's desire (as long as you can still recognize the model of course).

However tournaments often have a policy of approving models through the TO in case of significant conversions or third party models. So you should generally always read the rules for the event in question and check with your TO if required, though arms on a Stormsurge will not be an issue.

Edited by H311fi5h

Just to recap the Beachhead Bash GT, and for a little bit of a rub, there were exactly 0 stormsurges in the top two player’s list who where Tau. Spot 1 had a single hammerhead in the form of Longstrike.

Broadsides are looking nastier in a group of 2-3 suits with an Ethereal passing out 5+++ and generating a CP a turn.

Broadsides are looking nastier in a group of 2-3 suits with an Ethereal passing out 5+++ and generating a CP a turn.

Are those Broadsides with Heavy Rail Rifles?

Yes.

The two top lists showed up with 1x3 and 2x3 Railside suits respectively.

I think -1D has kind of neutered any form of missile pod at the moment, but I’d love to be proven wrong :)

I think -1D has kind of neutered any form of missile pod at the moment, but I’d love to be proven wrong :smile.:

They are still quite an efficient way to delete Marines as infantry-heavy is about the only place they are competitive at the moment. Mind you, Tau have plenty of options for Marine killing so I think Railsides are the way to go.

I mean, I think marines are kind of struggling really as it stands and with Siegler pulling that stunt with mechanicus recently I think we can expect the field to be quite chaotic really with Drukari nerfed as well. Tau seem primed to just step in and these lists don't seem highly evolved yet. Both run the same core concept of having a lot of crisis suits with broadside back-up but both then supplemented with different approaches.

Best I can see, I wouldn't be surprised if the 1st place list had the vespids as purely RND monkeys. Drop, Action, then everything after that is gravy. Something like turn 1 is homefield quarter, one vespid drops in on turn 2 in an opening he created, do that quarter, follow into other quarter turn 3 then you have turns 4 and 5 to get the last quarter which should be a homefield one.

Though that does raise a question: What secondaries were taken? Curious to see how that looked.

I mean, I think marines are kind of struggling really as it stands and with Siegler pulling that stunt with mechanicus recently I think we can expect the field to be quite chaotic really with Drukari nerfed as well. Tau seem primed to just step in and these lists don't seem highly evolved yet. Both run the same core concept of having a lot of crisis suits with broadside back-up but both then supplemented with different approaches.

Best I can see, I wouldn't be surprised if the 1st place list had the vespids as purely RND monkeys. Drop, Action, then everything after that is gravy. Something like turn 1 is homefield quarter, one vespid drops in on turn 2 in an opening he created, do that quarter, follow into other quarter turn 3 then you have turns 4 and 5 to get the last quarter which should be a homefield one.

Though that does raise a question: What secondaries were taken? Curious to see how that looked.

It really doesn't look that chaotic to me from the Beachhad Brawl.

Very onesided in fact:

1. T'au 7-0
  2. T'au 7-0
  3. Custodes 6-1
  4. Custodes 6-1
  5. Deathwatch 6-1
  6. Tyranids 6-1
  7. Custodes 6-1
  8. Custodes 5-1-1
  9. Custodes 5-1-1
  10. Custodes 5-1-1

What I mean is that after this we can expect to see a lot of shuffling. Custodes may be the new big bad but Tau just rumbling up is now a major wrench. While a good screening strategy may work against custodes, it won't work against Tau. If you like out-pacing custodes on the board you can't with Tau.

We literally have one facton which is famous for being hard to kill and melee monsters running rampant with the other faction being famous for shooting you to death that you can't outrun. Anyone who just brings a list for Custodes may find themselves side-swiped by a Tau list while if they come prepared for Tau may get hammered by the Custodes, not to mention other factors such as Mirror matches being a heck of a nightmare for any faction.

With these results, I would expect an increase in Tau Lists in equal to Custodes. Still room for rogues to run around and cause havoc as normal but certainly I think time will tell, I don't think any of those Custode players were able to in any way prepare for what the Tau brought. Just my 2 cents but it will be interesting regardless.

Just waiting for the mad-lad who managed to make triple Stormsurge work, even if they only get like top of the mid tables! :D