Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Sicaran Punisher

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use your Punisher?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples?
  • How are you buffing this unit? Will it babysit anything?
  • What Wargear Options do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Stratagem synergy or note?

Over to you

Please note that Sicaran Arcus Strike Tank, Sicaran Batle Tank, Sicaran Omega Tank Destroyer, and Sicaran Venator will be discussed elsewhere

Edited by Jolemai

Until the arrival of the Gladiator Reaper, this was probably the last word in chaff clearing firepower. Even with the arrival of Primaris tanks and their crazy number of guns, the Punisher still presents an impressive level of firepower at a surprisingly reasonable cost.

The main draw is the Punisher cannon. With 18 shots, its S6 Ap-1 profile is still pretty relevant. While hordes are not really part of the meta at the moment, S6 is enough to threaten DE vehicles as well as the T5 infantry that is becoming more common. Lots of shots at 1D also happily ignores the increasingly prevalent -1 Damage rules that are being handed out. It is a meta-relevant vehicle with a reasonable price, particularly in comparison to other vehicles that do similar jobs in the Marine arsenal. For comparison, the Gladiator Reaper has more firepower but costs significantly more, is slower and has shorter range.

In spite of these strengths, the Sicaran is still a vehicle in an edition where large targets without invulnerable saves are very vulnerable. Melta hurts this guy badly and the forthcoming Tau big guns will also be bad news for it. My current BA army is all-infantry for a good reason. I don't seriously consider Marine vehicles much in this edition but if I did, the Punisher would be among the better options on offer.

Plus of course it looks very cool and brutal! :biggrin.:

As is often the case, a Techmarine is the only source of buffs for this boi and not a pricey one. Being able to hit on 2's makes taking the HK missile all the more appealing too. 

I know it doesn't add much to the topic, but I have to:

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTT! :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: 

I dislike the design of it's tower in relation to the gun - asymmetry is fine, but proportions are somehow off. 

This thing rather happily reminds me of a plane called an A10 Thunderbolt 2. Ugly, but somehow charming in it's unpleasant proportions. And armed with a ridiculously oversized minigun that chews up so much. Infantry and light armour will fear this thing.

I saw one work it's way through a Triarch Stalker in 2 turns. Well, it's more appropriate to say it ground it's way through, like an angle grinder through steel. It isn't a quick way to kill things with even a modicum of armour after turn 1, but at the same time it is just so satisfying in it's method. If anyone remembers using Sternguard with Hellfire rounds to bring down Trygon Primes back in 6th, you might understand what I mean. Or even ye olde assault cannons tearing apart Land Raiders? It is that kind of inappropriately good against Necron and DE armour. Against infantry it is exceptional, of course. 18 shots from anything is intimidating for most infantry, but shots this good? In devastator doctrine it is possibly the best method of clearing Wraith guard or Deathguard termies available to space marines. Damage 1 doesn't care much about damage reduction mechanics. Only Redemptors with Dakka loadouts really compete for that niche, not counting spamming Bolters and persistence.

A shame that tanks for us Astartes kind of suck right now. It just lacks the support needed to make good headway in list building. I think taking a tank for anti horde work is tricky. Space Marines have some of the best anti-horde weapons available in the form of massed bolter fire, it makes taking something like this a hard sell, after all, what if I need to deal with a tank? The Punisher manages to carve out a role for me. Not a massive role, and not one it has exclusive control over, but a role nonetheless, and that is slowly butchering the toughest infantry in the game, while occasionally making me feel good by hosing down an enemy vehicle with it's high calibre carwash service.

Overall, good, but let down by the usual space marine tank problems.