Did you pick up the Eldritch Storm Box?

Prot

I'm just going to repeat what I said in the Rumour forum.... I thought it would be a good idea to see what people did, or plan to do with buying the box.... as opposed to cluttering up the 9e "what to expect" thread, I thought we could focus on the box set here.

I ended up pre-ordering a box at full price from GW. In CAD I think it was 270 bucks with tax.  I may have to paint/sell half the box to justify it to be honest. 

I look back at it now, and I think maybe all the negative reviews on the price got to me. It is a lot of money for what's in it, if you're a Chaos fan. If you're an Eldar fan, I don't think it is. Those are beautiful new sculpts, and new rules coming make it more attractive (the exact opposite effect if you're a chaos fan). 

The worst part about being an Eldar fan of this box is you are going to be stuck with some models that are going to be all over ebay with poor rules (right now) and a dead codex. 

This is the ultimate glass half full/empty box set! 

In the past to defer my expense I've found you can paint the half you don't want and get very good money for it on eBay if you do it in a timely manner.

Edited by Xenith
Changed text colour

May I ask why you bought it full-price from GW directly instead of a third party retailer or LFGS?

Sure. Well to be fair and make this a short story, in my City there are only a couple of retailers where I can preorder this. Lately they have not been getting these types of box sets in good amounts (aside from the Templars which GW probably over produced). But these types don't seem to make it here in large enough quantities to the discount shops.

So the ones I deal with have come up a bit, short and I wanted to be sure to have it on day one, because although I haven't decided for sure, I am leaning towards cracking open the box, and painting one half to sell it on eBay. I have done this quite a few times, even with the Templar box and if you do a good job of it, and get them on eBay fast enough, you will more than make your money back for the entire box... easily, but that's if you do the labour, and get it up there.

One of the more significant issues we've had recently was high rental prices for our LGS forcing them to drop the discount they offered on GWs products for a time. It's still pretty shaky ground right now, but were they still in a position where they had to charge £125 for the box (and if the box interested me) I'd happily pay that amount - that extra cash is going straight into a business that I love and enabling them to continue operations.

That aside, I wouldn't purchase from certain third-party distributors in the UK for professional reasons. Wayland and Element are both operated by crooks that like to shift the blame for their failings, and having dealt with the fallout as both a customer and a supplier on separate occasions and been treated as less than human I have to wonder how they've remained in business for so long.

I bought from eBay, on which established sellers always offer a 15% discount. The buddy I play with, who is these days my only opponent, luckily plays Harlequins/Eldar and thus we were down to split the box.

$85 USD for the contents is very reasonable. I occasionally get to use the GW friends and family discount but not this time. So be it.

I am unemployed and have no income, and have very little money for toys. In the past I’d pay full msrp at my LGS, who doesn’t offer a discount, but gladly.

Out of curiosity, why not order the box on eBay for the guaranteed discount?

I picked the box up, as I'm going to use all of it for my Word Bearers and I don't have a dinobot yet, so it all works out.

I'm planning on doing some Ulthwé as well, so although it is a bit expensive, I'm going to use everything in the box.

That said, I can understand that it's a bit much if you don't have a use for everything or if there's other circumstances.

I let the box go.

The chosen models themselves really don't stand out enough for me and the Warpsmith is a little too much like the Primaris Tech marine for my tastes. But certain bits for both kits are good and I'll likely ebay those.

The main factor in my decision though was the small amount of models inside the box. Especially when Shadowspear was 180$ and had the same amount of models in the chaos half alone.

It’s looking likely that I’ll pick up the Chaos half, mostly for the Warpsmith and some of the Chosen bits. The rest get sold off, tho. I’m sure someone will want a heavily-discounted Forgefiend.

I'm excited for the Eldar release - but I'm looking at Swordwind so the Ranger models wouldn't be used. I would only want the Autarch (and multiple at that). So I didn't pick one up. My local GW still has copies of Blood of the Phoenix, and I'd prefer to pick that up than Eldritch Storm, and even then I think I'd rather just buy separate boxes.

I preordered the box for 10% off at my LGS (the nearest 15% off is an hour away through some bad traffic). I have a couple gift cards I used as well.

My plan originally was to split with my friend, but he decided not too, so I’m gonna try to sell the eldar on eBay and see if I can make break even (since my gift cards covered half).

I’m one of those weirdos, where I have a large Iron Warriors force, but also a smaller Word Bearers and Night Lords. I’m gonna do my Warpsmith IW, the Chosen as WB, and I haven’t decided what I’m gonna do with the forgefiend.

Bought one set from a local store with discount, and is gonna trade away the pointy eared parts with a friend.

I actually don't have a forgefiend, only maulerfiends, so I thought it was a perfect opportunity to get one and I want the chosen part to mix up with leftover DV chosen. I already have a converted warpsmith but I have some ideas about how to use that body...

I have armies for both halves so I picked this box up (20% off with an online stockist). As I've already got 10 Chosen built up using Tortuga Bay parts, a friend is taking the Chosen. The Fiend in the box gives me one of each (Gatling, Mauler and the new one will be Ectoplasma) and the Warpsmith will probably be a Power armoured lord as I currently don't have one! :sweat:

Even though I bought it at 25% discount and split the box (I took Chaos of course), I still feel robbed.

I bought the Chaos part just for the modelling part, but knowing that I couldn't play the army for 2 years and probably won't be able for the next 4-6 months still makes me angry (for how much you can get angry at plastic miniatures game)

It's that I really don't like GW as a company anymore, and I was really a fan of them, now I will just buy new Chaos miniatures and probably end the hobby (there are a number of reasons that are out of this topic and I won't bother you)

I ended up buying it.  I like the chosen and Warpsmith and don't have a forgefiend. I have an old Land Raider that's been collecting dust that I'm going to paint up as a ride for the chosen.

I've been wanting to make a Word Bearers army since playing Dark Crusade years ago and talked myself into Black Legion because I thought cult troops would be more realistic for them (for some reason I also thought raptors wouldn't be in the Word Bearers despite that not making sense at all). With these guys and possibly new possessed coming out it seems like a good time to do it.

I really like the rangers and might be painting them for fun even though I'm unlikely to start Eldar.