++Thousand Sons Unit of the Week++

gallery_58096_7835_297847.gif

++Heldrake++

New codex, new discussions about units! As we already have in other faction sections, this is the Thousand Sons Unit of the Week series, where each week we select and dissect a datasheet found in the book, and discuss how we use the unit in-game, favoured loadouts and combos, essentially how to use these units best. What have you found that works, and what doesnt? Please try to stick to the idea of making the unit in question work, as opposed to pointing out other units that might do a better job - we'll get to those in time!

This week, we will be discussing theHeldrake - the speedy flyer available to CSM and Thousand Sons, this was in fashion for a while, but increasingly it seems the hell turley is no longer on the table.

Have you been using them in games, and how have you used them? Th Mauler fists in particular have great damage potential at D3+3, and with a move of 10", the fiend is capable of getting into combat.

What are you thoughts, and how best would you use the unit?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around?
  • Will you be running multiples?
  • What <GREAT CULT>, loadouts, spell relic and Stratagem support do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Are you buffing this unit, and if so, how?
  • Are you building as a damage dealer or buff-provider?
  • Uses in Matched, Narrative and Open Play
  • How have they fared for you in-game?

Over to you.

++Thousand Sons Unit of the Week Index Link++

I'm keen on adding one to my sons, I think it would be a great distraction to throw up the field while we take position mid-board. I seen a tourney list recently that used two as distractions for Magnus, which seems valid. 

Are they a better distraction than the Vortex Beast though? Cheaper, more wounds, and with a bit of psychic investment can also get -1 to hit. And better damage output unless you're willing to make the Heldrake Hover and lose its defences.

Hard to say. This topic is really be about maximising the potential of the unit in question, though, rather than writing it off in favour of another! 

Apologies frater, that was not my intention. Just wanted to probe a bit deeper into whether the Heldrake is our best distraction carnifex. Certainly it would be against a flyer-heavy army, where it would shine, but that's not a common matchup.

I've found it to do wonders against my usual opponents--Tyranids and Blood Angels mean a lot of the best targets have Fly anyway. That said, I've had it flounder pretty hard against Guard and Tau.

Vector strike costing a cp is extraordinarily miserly for what it does.

With the change to Hive Tyrants that means walkrants are s8, I suspect the Drake will become a worse value proposition as things go on. It's possible an eldar and tau tank-heavy meta may change its fortunes, but we'll have to see what commonly gets taken out of those dexes.

Edited by Naryn

I've found it to do wonders against my usual opponents--Tyranids and Blood Angels mean a lot of the best targets have Fly anyway. That said, I've had it flounder pretty hard against Guard and Tau.

With the change to Hive Tyrants that means walkrants are s8, I suspect the Drake will become a worse value proposition as things go on. It's possible an eldar and tau tank-heavy meta may change its fortunes, but we'll have to see what commonly gets taken out of those dexes.

Do you find those Fly opponents actually charge it a lot? Because it can only charge Aircraft (though it can fight anything that has Fly).

It's a cool kit mind, might have to pick one up eventually...!

Saw another potential use online somewhere.

Use as much of the movement as you need to get right over to an enemy hidden ranged/indirect fire unit. You'll be pretty much facing the enemy board edge next to the unit. You'll get to shoot but your opponent will either i) shoot it loads and then it's serving as a good carnifex or ii) ignore as it's about to fly off the board. Then in your next turn, swap to Hover and assault that pesky ranged unit!

Edited by Brother Kraskor

Do you find those Fly opponents actually charge it a lot? Because it can only charge Aircraft (though it can fight anything that has Fly).

Probably depends on the opponent. If I was playing my Blood Angels I would love for you to drop it in my lines. It would be a pretty easy kill for my Sanguinary Guard or Vanguard Vets.

Probably depends on the opponent. If I was playing my Blood Angels I would love for you to drop it in my lines. It would be a pretty easy kill for my Sanguinary Guard or Vanguard Vets.

Yes absolutely be cognisant of units that can Fly. But against say Tau...

Use as much of the movement as you need to get right over to an enemy hidden ranged/indirect fire unit. You'll be pretty much facing the enemy board edge next to the unit. You'll get to shoot but your opponent will either i) shoot it loads and then it's serving as a good carnifex or ii) ignore as it's about to fly off the board. Then in your next turn, swap to Hover and assault that pesky ranged unit!

This is a great use, particularly if you have some other big nasty that needs to stick it's head out, like Magnus or a couple of VolCons. Present your opponent with two bad choices and they'll make the wrong one. I'd say don't do this though if the rest of your army is hidden - if your opponent can only shoot one thing, it makes the choice very easy! 

This is a great use, particularly if you have some other big nasty that needs to stick it's head out, like Magnus or a couple of VolCons. Present your opponent with two bad choices and they'll make the wrong one. I'd say don't do this though if the rest of your army is hidden - if your opponent can only shoot one thing, it makes the choice very easy! 

Yeah exactly. If you've Risen Rubricaed some flamers and Facaded a buffed Vortex Beast forward, then the opponent has to make some choices!