The Interogator Review Thread

It's a few weeks til this goes online, but today's news article was a nice reminder, as is the (Actual) trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1A2CFcxdJo&ab_channel=Warhammer

Some screenshots from WHC:

Vf96WLlrC5cPNx4h.jpg

ACZuDoaKtia8tiBc.jpg

sTL58LGwYPKyV3wB.jpg

4jztE01K2AwPK1fw.jpg

Edit: by M2 Animation - https://m2animation.com/, although earlier articles mentioned Sun and Moon were involved too.

Probably of the pipeline shows the one I'm most looking forward to, although the trailer is bit garbled and rather trope-ish. 

EDIT - curses, I've misspelt the title - Kelborn, can you add in the extra R I missed?

Edited by Petitioner's City

Not too thrilled by the animation. Significant framerate issues in some scenes, and I cannot tell if this is deliberate or again down to the animation style. Similarly I can't tell if the voice overs for some characters are just very... loose with their lip movements or the trailer is cutting stuff oddly.

I must be spoiled by Wit, A-1 Pictures, Doga Kobo and co. I mean, I don't expect P.A. Works quality from these, but I cannot help constantly be reminded of the Newgrounds fan animation era when it comes to most Warhammer+ series =/

I'm looking forward to this.

I didn't mind the basic animation style for Hammer & Bolter, but it seems more suited to the noir aesthetic here.

Reminds me a bit of Sin City.

On a separate note, I wouldn't mind some animated versions of already existing BL fiction. The Crime imprint might be a good one to adapt into a multi-season series if there is ever the market for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Am I a lone voice in the void? The first episode of Interrogator was such a great "Warhammer Crime"-esque story, right down the language (two fs were said)., and a taut dark opening. 

Today's WHC article on the series was nice too, exploring main character Jurgun's home.

See the Squalid Sights of Gheisthaven, the Grim New Setting for Warhammer TV’s Interrogator

zT6cLViSUltDoIAF.jpg

Episode one of Interrogator, a brand-new animated series, hits Warhammer TV today. 

This gritty noir tale follows the trials and tribulations of Jurgen, a disgraced Inquisitorial interrogator whose crippling flashbacks to a dark past have left him addicted to unpleasant far-future drugs. The show takes a closer look at the seedier underbelly of the Imperium of Man and the effect that this colossal, uncaring empire has on the poor souls who live within it.

ACZuDoaKtia8tiBc.jpg

But what an underbelly it is! The hive city of Gheisthaven gives us a close look at the kind of morbidly oppressive spaces that the majority of the Imperium’s populace inhabits. All those towering gothic structures are the preserve of the high and mighty – the hoi polloi live in the gutters in between.

This is a world forever on the verge of anarchy with rioting on the streets and a power vacuum at the top. It’s full of tiered walkways, plunging alleys, and seedy drinking dens. A noir story needs a fitting colour palette, and Interrogator’s Gheisthaven – with its torrential downpours – is rendered in striking black and white.

vPZm0smz070HUngP.jpg

The city’s mightiest buildings tower far above the inhabitants who bustle about below. Despite the grand scale of their world, folk like Jurgen eke out their days in dismal hab units, barely big enough to live in.

It doesn’t help that Jurgen’s inner demons have prevented him from tidying up in a while – but even his personal detritus is just another layer atop the encrusted industrial grime that suffuses his living space. With pipes, vents, rivets, seams, and curious baroque designs on every surface, it’s a far cry from homely here.

4CqVoLeDBXriQJPB.jpg

The brutal first episode gives us what’s possibly the first close look at a bathroom in the 41st Millennium. After years of playing Warhammer 40,000, it can be easy to forget the practicalities of living in a world like this… beyond, perhaps, imagining a toilet with a giant skull for a cistern. 

Jurgen’s bathroom is quite a bit more austere than that – a multifunction wet room stripped back to its bare essentials. It might be a far future of immense resources, but for the common folk there’s little luxury to be found.

7CJ1yuQFZV3shUDC.jpg

You’ll see more of the grimy world of Gheisthaven in future episodes. There’s lots of detail to look out for, from the yawning halls of Imperial buildings to the curious vaulted ceilings of the local bar, which show how far the architectural quirks of the Imperium reach.

Hope you guys aslo enjoy this!

I absolutely loved this. By far my favourite WarhammerTV episode so far.

I don't care that the animation is quite dated compared to other series, it was so atmospheric and the voice acting was spot on.

Quite surprised just how "adult" it was, but pleasantly so.

This could shape up to be really good.

And I'm still convinced that's Simon Pegg, lol.

I absolutely loved this. By far my favourite WarhammerTV episode so far.

I don't care that the animation is quite dated compared to other series, it was so atmospheric and the voice acting was spot on.

Quite surprised just how "adult" it was, but pleasantly so.

This could shape up to be really good.

And I'm still convinced that's Simon Pegg, lol.

Have you read the Crime books? I feel this was spun from the same cloth, not just the language but that domestic space that allows the universe to really breathe. I do agree this was my favourite Wtv episode so far too. 

Am I a lone voice in the void? The first episode of Interrogator was such a great "Warhammer Crime"-esque story, right down the language (two fs were said)., and a taut dark opening.

You are most certainly not: really enjoyed it, definitely echoes of the Crime imprint (which I love!) and that sort of pulp aesthetic that has been captured so artfully, with some added grit and 40k-grimdark.

I’ve not watched too much WHTV, however - this was excellent and I’m looking forward to seeing the rest!

Still not a fan of the animation style but I feel it works as a stylised film noir effect.  Liked it (the art style) a lot better as stills for some reason :rolleyes:

The story was okay, leading the viewer in without over explaining the setting or going that far into it that they get left behind.  This is definitely from the Warhammer Crime school, which is also a positive. 

Only negative was the soundtrack, which I felt was slightly out of sync with the pictures.

Still looking forward to the next episode for all that.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I’d get in and post this before episode 3 hits.

Again, really enjoyed the second episode. It’s the little bits - occasionally super detailed backgrounds in amongst the stylistic renderings of action... I think it really conveys the built up city/hive vibe, and again - keeps ticking the boxes for me with the Crime/Pulp homage.

I wasn’t sure if this’ll end after episode 3, but hoping it continues (and we see more of this!).

And Episode 3... so good! Heading into spoiler tags for obvious reasons...

Firstly, great to see this is just Act 1 - I'm hoping for many acts, but let's see where this goes.

The 'eye' motif comes through very strongly - sometimes, in very gory ways, but it was very noticeable in this episode! I'm quite interested in how this is all portrayed in a visual medium - especially in a monochrome graphic style - some great 'fight' scenes and backstory all coming through too, and it does bring everything to life really well. I just love the styling of it all!

I'm really interested to see where they go next: I think there's so much scope for how the plot can develop, and it'll be interesting what threads they end up pulling on. I particularly liked about the disconnection from the Emperors' light and references to being cut off... they've fleshed out a great hive setting very quickly with a quirky backstory, it's been a solid start.

All in all - great! 

I just watched all three episodes and I'm honestly really happy with this so far. I actually want to know what happened. This really caught me in a way the other shows haven't. I hope the other acts aren't too far off.

Act 2 starts in June, I think the WarCom article said. With an AOS Hammer & Bolter to come first.

• 1 month later...

And now, Act 2!

Again, a joy! Starting with episode 4…

I love the thought of ‘warp dust’ being made like corpse starch, which is one of my favourite quirky things from Necromunda. Outlines how desperate some are that they’ll ingest that sort of thing, and how enterprising others are…!

We now start to see things coming together - interwoven elements, breakdown of trust, ‘favours’… it’s really effective world building and storytelling. I feel fully invested and I’m just keen to see where this all leads. The various call-backs and how it fleshes things out further makes it a really rich set of characters too. On to the next episode!

And then one for the road!

One of the things I’ve really appreciated about the series is the humour woven in - it feels like some of the stories of old, a bit of Cain or other comic relief, but it’s just nicely done to truly punctuate the grim dark setting with some dark enough humour or a turn-of-phrase.

Deadpan lines such as “This is very far from ideal Jurgen” just work so well, the delivery has been great from so many of the voice actors, and I do enjoy the dynamic the series captures too. The depiction of such a range of characters, and making them so distinguished and intriguing, just adds to the whole piece.

I also loved the choice for all the guards to have Northern accents - and those initial exchanges on entering the facility were great. It’s continuing to build nicely, stakes are high… lots more questions being raised as it acknowledges… Excellent storytelling!

The visuals of the drinking hole and then Jurgen just acting like a headless corpse sitting at the bar was fine just adds to the surrealist acceptance of the setting and his line of work: again, so well done. Jurgen’s ability also massively helps with the narrative progression - I’d not reflected on this hugely until now, but it works well to help shape the backstory.

This keeps getting better and better: I am totally invested!

• 4 weeks later...

Just caught up with the series and it is progressing well, the story still catching my interest.  If anything, I find the animation style even more annoying but I’m treating it as an audio rather than a visual presentation.  The quality of the voice acting helps with this approach.

Had to laugh about @Petitioner's City’s description of Jurgan’s living quarters though.  After spending over 30 years in the Navy it looked and sounded like home to me :biggrin:

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Taliesin said:

Does anyone feel like summarizing what the story is about in this one, sort of lay out what we actually get to see?

Do we see psychic powers at work? Inquisitors?

Yes and yes :) 

It essentially 

Spoiler

Follows a psychic ex-interrogator on a backwater hive world. His late inquisitor was killed by one member of the retinue who has since vanished. Another ex member of the retinue comes to the main character and lets him know he has a lead on the assassin. The plot unfurls from there, and is excellent. 

It feels very John French Covenant or Warhammer Crime, and connects high and low imperial politics, inquisitorial agendas and the mostly situation of the "proletariat". It also has a lot of graphic violence (showing what humble stubguns, autoguns, shotguns and lasguns actually do - there isn't a higher weapon than these, reallg) and like Warhammer Crime, features adult language and themes.

Probably the key theme is self-destruction, and the extents to which all characters in the plot pursue that, often cutting off their right hand in an attempt to assist their left. Addiction, defeat and pyrrhic victories are other key parts of the narrative landscape.

Edited by Petitioner's City