The Interogator Review Thread

I actually liked this series.

I at first was a bit put off by the first episode which was pretty much "greatest hits of noir detective stories" and they could not have crammed more cliches in there if they tried.

But it got better.

Really dark, dystopian, without hope and with hardly any chances for redemption.

The twist in the last episode I had suspected beforehand, but it was wonderfully executed and pretty powerful.

This really is a story from the grim darkness of the far future.

Even the artstyle fits, since it presents with the black/ white contrast and simple drawings- there is no elaboration here, you have to fill up the blanks in your mind.

Hopelessness, addiction, crushing defeat and a world without mercy- all shown here fitting perfectly into the setting.

On 9/30/2022 at 4:17 PM, Petitioner's City said:

Yes and yes :) 

It essentially 

Hide contents

Follows a psychic ex-interrogator on a backwater hive world. His late inquisitor was killed by one member of the retinue who has since vanished. Another ex member of the retinue comes to the main character and lets him know he has a lead on the assassin. The plot unfurls from there, and is excellent. 

It feels very John French Covenant or Warhammer Crime, and connects high and low imperial politics, inquisitorial agendas and the mostly situation of the "proletariat". It also has a lot of graphic violence (showing what humble stubguns, autoguns, shotguns and lasguns actually do - there isn't a higher weapon than these, reallg) and like Warhammer Crime, features adult language and themes.

Probably the key theme is self-destruction, and the extents to which all characters in the plot pursue that, often cutting off their right hand in an attempt to assist their left. Addiction, defeat and pyrrhic victories are other key parts of the narrative landscape.

Interesting. Reading that explanation actually makes me want to read something from GW that explains the differences between these ( and other) different guns specifically, maybe its in the standard space marines codex.

On 10/2/2022 at 5:31 PM, Taliesin said:

Interesting. Reading that explanation actually makes me want to read something from GW that explains the differences between these ( and other) different guns specifically, maybe its in the standard space marines codex.

You are better going back to 2nd edition - the Wargear book from then is the best basic guide to the main weapons of 40k still - as well as Inquisitor from the 2000s, where the Wargear section itself builds on  Necromunda (the first edition from 1995, and the second edition from 2003). Also  the third edition from 2017 of Necromunda sometimes has good weapon descriptions - the rulebook in the Underhive box for example - and the weapons in the Book of Judgement from 2019. 

I'd love to get my hands on that Inquisitor codex, think Gav Thorpe wrote it for the game? But cant even find it on ebay or secondhand on Amazon.

20 hours ago, Petitioner's City said:

3). Also  the third edition from 2017 of Necromunda sometimes has good weapon descriptions - the rulebook in the Underhive box for example - and the weapons in the Book of Judgement from 2019. 

I do have the rulebook of the Necromunda relaunch from a few years ago and that Book of Judgement book to, will give it a look.